PDA

View Full Version : What is my running flathead 6/3 speed trans worth?

Studelarkrod
11-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Hey guys, I have a 60 lark wagon, it has a running flathead 6 and three speed trans. (Three on the tree) the trans shifts well and the clutch is fine as well. The engine is down on compression in two cylinders ( per the previous owner) I have never checked myself.

I found a good running GM 3.8 supercharged v6 I am going to put down in this little wagon.

That said if I were to sell the stude stuff, what's the fair market value? Honestly I am not trying to make any money, I will just want it gone after I pull it.

( And no please don't tell me to keep it in the car, I have no interest in a straight restoration)

Thanks!

Studelarkrod
11-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Huh, 68 views and not a single person knows what a flatty 6 is worth?

swvalcon
11-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Not trying to be smart ass here but on a six with a stick about what ever you can get someone to pay. Their not in high demand.

Studelarkrod
11-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Nope you're not being a smart ass at all.

That's all I really needed to know. I figured they were pretty worthless.
No offense taken.

cultural infidel
11-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Not knowing the market in your area, put it up on craigslist for $100 and see if it draws any interest... especially if you are just trying to get it gone!

Dick Steinkamp
11-17-2017, 03:08 PM
It's one of those heavy, bulky, worn out, low value items that would need to sell to someone within a fairly short driving distance of you. I don't think anyone would pay shipping on it or drive several hours to get it. With a very limited audience nationwide and only a small part of that close to you the odds are slim that it would sell at any price...but it's worth a try. There could be someone in dire need of a rebuildable core and trans nearby.

I'd try a couple of hundred bucks and a Craigs List ad. If it sells, you are a few bucks ahead, you've done someone a good deed, and you don't have to load it to the scrapper.

Studelarkrod
11-17-2017, 03:11 PM
It's one of those heavy, bulky, worn out, low value items that would need to sell to someone within a fairly short driving distance of you. I don't think anyone would pay shipping on it or drive several hours to get it. With a very limited audience nationwide and only a small part of that close to you the odds are slim that it would sell at any price...but it's worth a try. There could be someone in dire need of a rebuildable core and trans nearby.

I'd try a couple of hundred bucks and a Craigs List ad. If it sells, you are a few bucks ahead, you've done someone a good deed, and you don't have to load it to the scrapper.

That's all I would be really trying to avoid... The guilty feeling drive to the scrapper!

Studelarkrod
11-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Not knowing the market in your area, put it up on craigslist for $100 and see if it draws any interest... especially if you are just trying to get it gone!
I just was looking at your blog. Love your wagon!

lelshaddai
11-17-2017, 03:33 PM
I sold my 6 and 3spd overdrive for $400. It was completely rebuilt, painted and ready to drop in. Trans was the same. Lucky for me it was in the car I bought or else I would have lost money on that.

cultural infidel
11-17-2017, 03:36 PM
I just was looking at your blog. Love your wagon!

Thanks! It's been a long road with it. Happy to finally be in the right place and working on it!

Would love to see more pictures of yours!

Studelarkrod
11-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Nothing great. Just a stock 60 lark.
Had it for two months, haven't done anything to it yet.
I did find a champ grill for it.

cultural infidel
11-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Nothing great. Just a stock 60 lark.
Had it for two months, haven't done anything to it yet.
I did find a champ grill for it.

Great looking wagon! As you can see, I am a fan of the Champ grill on these.

Next you need a roof rack! Once I build my new shelves tonight, I am going to clean/buff/wax the roof of my wagon and the rack. Then I am going to cut new foot pads and re-install mine.

StudeRich
11-17-2017, 04:39 PM
If your 3 Speed T-96 Tranny has the Borg Warner R-10 Overdrive extension on the back, it does have a Value, a straight 3 Speed, not so much.

Studelarkrod
11-17-2017, 05:30 PM
I do have the overdrive. I have no idea how to use it though.

PackardV8
11-17-2017, 06:18 PM
If you were local, I'd pay $150 as a core; the 1960 was the best of them.

jack vines

sals54
11-17-2017, 07:40 PM
I agree with most above.. but I'd put it on craigslist for $300 and see what bites. Maybe include a video link of it running. That makes the sale a bit easier. Good luck

StudeRich
11-17-2017, 08:27 PM

Leave the Chrome "T" Handle marked O.D. IN, drive up to 32 Miles per hour and release the Gas momentarily, it should shift to Overdrive in 2nd. or Third, when slowing below about 30 it will just freewheel and coast.

If it Coasts and never shifts, the Solenoid is not working for one of many reasons listed in the Shop Manual, usually an Electrical issue.

This Borg Warner is a much more desirable trans. than ANY three speed out there, by ANY Mfg.

RadioRoy
11-17-2017, 08:57 PM

That's OK. Overdrive is mysterious to many people. :)

studeclunker
11-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Well, I'm one of those crazy people who would love to have your engine and tranny. I have a car that needs it. Sadly, I'm in Soviet California and you... are in the mid west. Typical.

Tubman
11-17-2017, 11:03 PM
Leave the Chrome "T" Handle marked O.D. IN, drive up to 32 Miles per hour and release the Gas momentarily, it should shift to Overdrive in 2nd. or Third, when slowing below about 30 it will just freewheel and coast.

If it Coasts and never shifts, the Solenoid is not working for one of many reasons listed in the Shop Manual, usually an Electrical issue.

This Borg Warner is a much more desirable trans. than ANY three speed out there, by ANY Mfg.

I am unfamiliar with this era Studebakers. Is the transmission in question a Borg Warner T85? If it is, the transmission (especially with overdrive) is a whole 'nother deal.

sals54
11-17-2017, 11:47 PM
Highly unlikely its a T85 behind a flat head 6. Those were heavy duty trannies used behind V8s in trucks and the high performance cars. Golden Hawks and the like. Certainly worth saving though.

TWChamp
11-18-2017, 12:08 AM
I bought a 1950 and 51 engine and overdrive off Craigslist for $125 each, just to be sure they weren't scrapped.
They were complete good runners being removed for a hot rod project.

Studelarkrod
11-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Well, I'm one of those crazy people who would love to have your engine and tranny. I have a car that needs it. Sadly, I'm in Soviet California and you... are in the mid west. Typical.

That's funny because my was was a Cali car,
I bought it off the LA Craigslist and had it shipped to the Midwest.

sals54
11-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Palleting an engine and trans for dock to dock shipping is not very difficult. Drain the fluids, strap it to a pallet, and wrap it with plastic. Its the cheapest way to ship heavy bulky items like these. Strike a deal.

Tubman
11-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Highly unlikely its a T85 behind a flat head 6. Those were heavy duty trannies used behind V8s in trucks and the high performance cars. Golden Hawks and the like. Certainly worth saving though.
Anybody know for sure? This statement seems at odds with what "StudeRich" had to say.

RadioRoy
11-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Overdrive transmissions are T-96 if they are in a car behind a Champion six. If they were in a truck, they would have the next step up, and it would be a T-86.

I cannot imagine a scenario where a T-85 is placed behind a Champion six.

Since the OP is pulling this engine/transmission combo out of a 1960 car, odds are 99.99% that the transmission is a T-96.

64studeavanti
11-18-2017, 01:09 PM
It is easy to tell. T96 has 4 bolts on the top cover. T86 has six. T85 does not have a top cover. Instead it has a side cover like a T10.

Hallabutt
11-18-2017, 02:07 PM
This is for some of the post war fans, who may be uninitiated when it comes to late 20's to the early 40's, unless of course street rods. Few cars of that era used the OD, that was mounted on the back of the Warner trans. First there was the Columbia, two speed rear end, that a smattering of cars used, but it wasn't until the mid 30's that modern OD came into limited use (Studebaker, Chrysler, Hudson and maybe Graham and maybe a few more). Packard did not start using it until either 1939 or 40, and Ford about the same time. Obvious by its absence GM never figured it out. It wasn't until 1955 that any GM car even offered it, in Chevrolets.

Today modern touring in an old car, most often, requires keeping up with modern traffic. Impossible to sustain speeds without taller rear end gears, or an OD in these older cars. In mountainous, or hilly country an OD's gearing flexibility makes a great deal more sense then taller gears. Many old car owners have gone to adapting this trans for touring. Bottom line is that these are still in demand, but maybe not for their original application. Don't scrap it out!

Sadly, we have just yesterday, lost our good friend Ray Keehner. He had done a number of these swaps. On the East Coast Jerry Kurtz is the go to guy.

t walgamuth
11-18-2017, 02:08 PM
I'd run a compression test. Down on two is a very vague term. If you can tell what the actual compression is it cannot but help.

StudeRich
11-18-2017, 02:26 PM
Anybody know for sure? This statement seems at odds with what "StudeRich" had to say.

Sorry to confuse some of you unfamiliar with Stude. transmissions, if you read Post #13 it is clear that, in a '60 Lark VI it will be the Lighter Weight T-96 for 6 Cyl. Engines.

I might have trumped up the Borg Warners a bit too much, but what it is MOSTLY about is the R-10 OVERDRIVE on T-90, T-96 & T-86, that Bill Hallett (Hallabutt) described very well in Post 28.

Studelarkrod
11-18-2017, 07:04 PM
Palleting an engine and trans for dock to dock shipping is not very difficult. Drain the fluids, strap it to a pallet, and wrap it with plastic. Its the cheapest way to ship heavy bulky items like these. Strike a deal.

Yep for sure. I am willing to ship for the right person.

Studelarkrod
11-18-2017, 07:05 PM

Well it that the case I am using it, I just thought I was crazy when it seemed like it shifted by itself.

Studelarkrod
11-18-2017, 07:13 PM
No worries guys, I really would be hard pressed to scrap it out. I would make it into a generator, or log splitter, or something crazy before I just scrapped it. It purrs like a kitten, i can't say if it is down on power due to the cylinders because I have nothing to compare it to.
I will be doing a compression test before I pull it.
And if I were to sell it to a SDC member I would do anything they asked for test before it shipped.

42champ
11-21-2017, 08:56 AM
pm sent about your parts