No announcement yet.

Is it meant to be like this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Is it meant to be like this ?

I have removed the front lower Valance from my 1962 Hawk to effect some very poor repair work at the hands of previous owners. I have had it abrasive blasted and of course this has revealed myriad filler repairs and severe dings to much of the lower scoop which I am planishing out pretty well. My question relates to the underside of the very point at the leading edge of the Valance. Because it is pressed into a vee form (looking at it from underneath) there are a lot of very large 'puckers' in this place. Now I know that in bodymaking, this is a natural occurrance. It was completely filled with body filler and the puckers are quite large. What I want to know is- is this normal ( part of manufacture ) and bog it back up, or do I try to planish the whole thing out? There is a split there into the bargain and welds will be needed. I surmise that if I try to pound it out the material will end up bulging If I can't shrink it enough.
    Steve
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170824_114211 A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1756161

There shouldn't be any large defects needing filler. It sounds like someone took the quick way out on a previous repair.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes it does have a slight v in the very center.

Comment

You can just imagine how beat those poor Lower Air Dams get, with Tow Chains running over them, Curbs and sometimes parking lot wheel chocks ramming them, so "battered" is the normal condition for most of them.
        Much worse on Lowered Cars or ones with sagged Springs.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok Thanks for the confirmation guys- I will put plenty of work into it. I'm aiming for as near as filler free I can get it.
          Steve

Comment

Working...
          X