PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: part numbers

arkusvt
11-11-2017, 05:11 PM
just purchased a '53 starliner commander which has NEVER had any brake work done on it. (29k original miles). am looking to replace everything in the system. some of the parts are available from s.i., some not. would any of you have a comprehensive list of available modern day brand and part numbers for this car? thank you

StudeRich
11-11-2017, 08:51 PM
There are NO "Aftermarket" brake parts available for the Lockheed Automatic, eccentric adjusted '47-'53 Studebaker Brakes.

The Studebaker Part Numbers and good Illustrations are in the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalogs availble in Book or CD.

There are more vendors here: studebakervendors.com (http://studebakervendors.com/)

Also I DO have ALL of the NEW Parts except New Hub and Drum Assemblies here, to rebuild the entire system if that is what you want.

bezhawk
11-12-2017, 10:03 AM
If you can find a parts car.... anything v8 from 54 up is a vast improvement over 53 brakes. They are a bolt on improvement .

rockne10
11-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Agree with Brad Bez. I've done the upgrade to my '51 and '53, using brakes from '61 and '63. But, to go with authenticity, Tom Karkiewicz has saved dozens, if not hundreds, of each little part of the Lockheed brake adjusters, wedges, springs, etc. Purchase your factory chassis parts catalog and let him know what you need; always better to use part numbers, rather than descriptions.