PDA

View Full Version : Dome Light

bondobilly
01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
This one has me totally stumped. The bulb in the dome light right now has two contact points, I can power it by attaching a + and - wire to the bulb's contacts, no problem.

I cannot figure out if I have the wrong bulb in there, as the switch does nothing. I removed the housing, and the only way to light the bulb is at the two contacts. Should there be a "dual filiament" bulb in there so that one ground works from the doors and the another ground is switchable?

If so, what is the number of the bulb?

Thanks

StudeRich
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Billy; the Dome Lt. bulb is a 1004. No it is not supposed to be a dual filament, just dual contact it has a switched GROUND to light it and a always hot (from the stop light fuse) power. The whole thing is isolated, the second contact grounds through the door switches and manual switch so that they and their wires can not be hot, and possibly short out! [^]

What ALWAYS fails in these, is that cheap slide switch! I think a commercial 110 volt switch could be bought and soldered in there!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

leyrret
01-24-2008, 04:36 AM
Bill,
I believe the light housing has to be grounded for the switch on light to work. One socket lead is hot the other is ground which
goes to slide switch and door switches so it can be grounded by either. If you don't have a ground at light, slide switch won't operate light.

JDP
01-24-2008, 07:08 AM
It is a dual contact bulb, typically, the slide switch contacts go bad.

JDP/Maryland
63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
spent to date $54664,75
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Lark 2 door
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

bondobilly
01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Got it working. I found the problem. It only takes in reality one ground wire going thru the switch, but the lamp housing itself, also needs a ground to the body of the car.

My problem is was the PO had a cloth headliner in the car, and there was a "box" that attached to the roof rail and it went missing between his ownership and my obtaining the car. All I need to do now is run a wire from the lamp housing to the area where you tack the windlace. That only took two weeks to figure out. UNLESS cars with the hardboard headliner never had that box. So much fun.:(

bondobilly
01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Got it working. I found the problem. It only takes in reality one ground wire going thru the switch, but the lamp housing itself, also needs a ground to the body of the car.

My problem is was the PO had a cloth headliner in the car, and there was a "box" that attached to the roof rail and it went missing between his ownership and my obtaining the car. All I need to do now is run a wire from the lamp housing to the area where you tack the windlace. That only took two weeks to figure out. UNLESS cars with the hardboard headliner never had that box. So much fun.:(