PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Tail Housing

Charles Larmay
11-09-2017, 03:55 PM
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/swap-to-a-700r4-from-a-th350-th400-200-4r/

I am trying to locate this tail housing for my 700R4 transmission. I am swapping a Turbo 400 to a 700R4. The mounting holes are different. Does anyone out there have one they are willing to sell. Or no were I can find one. I am striking out. The above link is the one I need.
Thanks.

sweetolbob
11-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Why change the tail housing when it's straight forward to modify the rear crossmember? Or am I missing something? Bob

Charles Larmay
11-10-2017, 07:08 AM
Hi Bob, No you are not misunderstanding. The garage doing the work seems a little hesitant about cutting and repositioning the existing trans mount. ???????

sweetolbob
11-10-2017, 12:06 PM
I guess it is what it is: but I'd personally modify the trans mount. As long as we are discussing modifications, the 74 shifter does not have enough detents for the 700 but it may work after a fashion. Also be sure they get the TV cable adjusted correctly as that is the quickest way to death for a 700. Lastly, they will need to shorten the driveshaft. Take it to a good shop and be sure they put the best balance on it they can.

I'm not sure what you are doing with the speedometer drive but very few 700's had a mechanical drive. When I put the 700 into my 54K I found a mechanical drive at a local wrecking yard and swapped it out. I don't remember if I had to add a drive gear to the trans output shaft but there are many output gears to adjust output speed. Otherwise it's an pulse to mechanical output conversion unit or a GPS speedometer. Bowtie or other performance trans shops can probably supply what is needed.

IAC adding the 700 is a modification I'd add to mine if I had an automatic in it.

Avanti, Bob

StudeRich
11-12-2017, 02:12 PM
OK, this is getting nowhere here. There is no way to offer correct help about this "Crossmember" without the Year and Model of the Car.

A THM400 to a 700R4? Is it even IN a Studebaker?

sweetolbob
11-12-2017, 05:34 PM
OK, this is getting nowhere here. There is no way to offer correct help about this "Crossmember" without the Year and Model of the Car.

A THM400 to a 700R4? Is it even IN a Studebaker?

Rich

Mid 70's Avanti, I agree that a large number of posts need more complete titles. Sure would help with future searches.

Bob