No announcement yet.

Is a special re-fill tool needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Is a special re-fill tool needed?

So draining the T-10 trans is not a problem.............but how in the world does one re-fill the trans from the upper fill hole?

Is there some kind of special funnel with a long thin tube attached that can be inserted into the top fill hole?

There is a tool that is a large metal syringe about the size of a grease gun. Not spendy. Just fill with oit and squirt it in. Mine is 30 yrs old but I'm reasonably sure you can still find an oil suction gun.Gets messy without it!

Comment

Confronted with that issue the first time I tried to refill a manual transmission, I bought a 5-gallon pail of lube with a manual pump lid. It has a hose with a J-hook on the end. Stick the end in the fill hole. The bend holds it in place. Pump till a trickle shows full. Remove the tube and install the plug. Paid for itself many times over. I have only had to buy one or two refills in all these years.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Your local flaps has a cheap plastic pump that fits the oil bottle and you just put the nozzle in the fill hole and pump until oil comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
          Your local flaps has a cheap plastic pump that fits the oil bottle and you just put the nozzle in the fill hole and pump until oil comes out.
          That's what I use.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Most flaps sell a 'suction gun' for this.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This is what I use 36670 Pennzoil Fluid Transfer Pump - Quart
              Purchased from Amazon Cost 5.99 with free shipping
              Ron

Comment

That looks good!

Originally posted by Ron Strasser View Post
                This is what I use 36670 Pennzoil Fluid Transfer Pump - Quart
                Purchased from Amazon Cost 5.99 with free shipping
                Ron
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                  So draining the T-10 trans is not a problem.............but how in the world does one re-fill the trans from the upper fill hole?

Is there some kind of special funnel with a long thin tube attached that can be inserted into the top fill hole?
                  I filled the 4 spd in my Avanti with a funnel and a long piece of tubing run through the right front wheel well to the fill plug. It's down hill all the way!
                  Mike M

Comment

Lots of options, as you see. In a pinch, a thoroughly cleaned dishwashing detergent bottle can be used, but will usually need refilled a bunch in the process. I used such in an emergency on a trip picking up an Avanti one time.

Comment

Working...
                    X