R 1092 is running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R 1092 is running!

After a few false starts, the Avanti is running after a 17 year sleep! Not too smokey, I think it will clear up, if not valve seals are in order. Today, I'll reconnect the supercharger and run it again.
    I'm still waiting on the brake booster to come back, and finish the Turner disc install before I can drive it, but I am please how strong this engine sounds.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Now the fun and money starts!!! Well done.

Bob

Comment

No kidding! Solid frame and hog troughs, mechanically seems sound so far, but guessing $2000 paint (by me, otherwise $5000) 4000 chrome, 4000 interior, and I've got 8 in the car and work so far. I may just sort it out, clean it, and drive it ugly.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
        No kidding! Solid frame and hog troughs, mechanically seems sound so far, but guessing $2000 paint (by me, otherwise $5000) 4000 chrome, 4000 interior, and I've got 8 in the car and work so far. I may just sort it out, clean it, and drive it ugly.
        Nothing wrong with driving ugly but here's a couple of money savers if you want to progress. Doing it yourself if you have the time won't cost $2K. Find TCPGlobal for paint. I used their acrylic enamel at under $100/gal. Eastwood and others have sales on high build from time to time if TCP is not as cheap as I remember. Sand paper and a lot more came from local swap meets. Chrome will get you if you want to go all in but over on the AOAI site there's a fellow parting out a few in the parts area that seem to have pretty good chrome on them. Remember you can also paint the chrome body or a contrasting color.

Interior if the front seats are shot find a pair at a local wrecking yard ($250 for leather front seats) that will fit and upgrade. Carpet is under $250 on Ebay. I recovered a lot of the interior in the 74 with Marine grade stretchable vinyl from Sailrite and the remaining pieces with SEM vinyl paint but you know that.

My guess is for $2-3K you can drive one that will catch a lot of attention on the street and at shows.

Avanti, Bob

Comment

Paint the chrome? Yikes!

Comment

I'm debating what to do, since nothing makes new paint look bad than old chrome. Then once those are done, that interior that cleaned up OK, looks like crap.

Maybe I'll do a Rustoleum paint job and get a few cans of SEM for the interior. but yeah, I can't paint the chrome.

But first, I need to get it drivable. Then I can think about looks
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Cool! Good to get another back on the road!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Send your chrome to Jerry Forrester. Great work, fast turn around time, great price, and a great person to work with!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04322.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1717082

Comment

Working...
                X