AC-2179 Gaskets Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: AC-2179 Gaskets Needed

Does anyone know of a source for the gasket that goes between the reverse light chrome housing and the fender body of a 1951 Studebaker? The original ones have hardened and crumbled. The kit is AC-2179 Strato-Lined Automatic Back-Up Light. I need to get a hold of two gaskets as I have the dual light setup. I contacted Studebaker International, but they were not able to find them.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Can you make your own gaskets using gasket material? I've done this many times and had good success....you just need a set of punches to punch out the appropriate size hole for the screw, bolt, etc. For lenses I have used old computer mouse pads, for mounting lens housings to the body I would recommend using thin sheet rubber which you can get at your local hardware store...

Comment

Originally posted by jif988 View Post
      Can you make your own gaskets using gasket material? I've done this many times and had good success....you just need a set of punches to punch out the appropriate size hole for the screw, bolt, etc. For lenses I have used old computer mouse pads, for mounting lens housings to the body I would recommend using thin sheet rubber which you can get at your local hardware store...
      You are right, I could, but I am hoping to find the gaskets that had the lip in them for the chrome housing to sit inside. I am looking to restore 100% stock or close to "correct" original.
      1947 Studebaker M-5
      1946 Studebaker M-5
      1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
      1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
      1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

The part number for those rubber gaskets is 526286.

I thought I had some but came up empty handed.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Brian,

I went out into garage to look for similar gaskets and found that the 1961 Lark taillight lens mounting gasket, part number 1338883, might work (sorry I don't have a 51 backup light to test them on).

If not, there are other similar Studebaker taillight housing or lens gaskets from the 50's and 60's that could possibly work in a pinch, if you can't find the originals in usable condition.
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Have you checked with Valerie Hansen?
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Have you checked with Valerie Hansen?
              Is there a contact for Valerie Hanson that 61LaRk4dr could use ?
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

She has an ad in nearly every TW, and is now the advertising editor, so her email and phone number are in every recent issue.

vhansen615 at gmail [dot] com
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                X