Bad Day To Exercise The Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Day To Exercise The Stude

I posted here recently about an excellent day of exercising the 63GT. A couple of days later, I went out again on another beautiful day, but it turned out to be a bad day. It was mid morning, driving into the bright sun. I had stopped at a light, a driver in a small pickup was behind me, and we were both pulling away on green. Suddenly, I heard a loud boom, quickly followed by a second boom, which I heard and felt simultaneously. Apparently a third driver, in a larger pickup did not see the light nor our vehicles (said he was blinded by the sun). He plowed into the rear of the small pickup behind me, and knocked it into the rear of the 63GT. I was moving 5-10 MPH so the GT was not hit real hard, but was significantly damaged. The two trucks were likely totaled.

The guy who hit me looked to be around 70, and the guy who caused the accident looked more like 80, and dragged a walker from behind the seat when he exited his truck. All of us have insurance, but I have no idea who's insurance will fix who's vehicle. The truck that hit the GT had a grill guard, and did not look to even be scratched. But it caught the center of the GT's trunk, upper edge of the bumper, and pushed the trunk bottom latch area forward 2-3 inches.

Thank goodness for the Sebring seats with headrest. Also, I am thankful my son was in school and not with me. Never know what mighta happened.

Soo I am looking for a straight, rust free trunk lid. If anyone has one, or knows of one, I'd appreciate a PM.

Thanks,
    Joe H
    Last edited by JoeHall; 11-02-2017, 07:51 PM.

file with your insurance and let them handle it

Comment

Sorry to hear , glad you're OK.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
        file with your insurance and let them handle it
        Yes, the report has been filed with all insurance companies, via the automated system, so said the Police Officer on the scene. I have been playing phone tag with my insurance company this week, and hope to reach them today. I am just trying to be proactive and locate anticipated parts needed. Not interested in making money off the insurance company, nor any of the other folks involved, just want the car fixed. I believe the insurance company will pay very fair prices for needed parts, so just trying to locate them. The other parts are common in the Studebaker world. The trunk is fairly common too, but I just want want the best condition one available.

I probably ought to mention the trunk overlay too, since good ones are getting hard to find. So if anyone has one of those, please PM me also.
        Thanks Again

Comment

Check the Stude swap page, there was several listed there in the past month or so. You could also contact Stephen Allens in Gainseville, talk to Matt Burnette. Good luck, hope all turns out well. Bill

Comment

Sorry to hear about your car but good to know no one was hurt. My 2 cents you know what parts you need and how to get them. Go and get the parts. A few years back I to was rear ended I went to several body shops they looked at me and my Studebaker like we were from another planet. Every one said where will we find the parts needed? At my house I would answer only 2 out of the 7 shops believed me.Find the parts sell them to the shop and recoup you money. Good luck.

Comment

Where is the Stude swap page?
              sigpicAl Reed
              North Bay Area, CA
              1961 Lark Regal Skytop
              1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                Sorry to hear about your car but good to know no one was hurt. My 2 cents you know what parts you need and how to get them. Go and get the parts. A few years back I to was rear ended I went to several body shops they looked at me and my Studebaker like we were from another planet. Every one said where will we find the parts needed? At my house I would answer only 2 out of the 7 shops believed me.Find the parts sell them to the shop and recoup you money. Good luck.
                I agree 100 percent. That's why I have already began looking for the parts. Then, I wanna get it the shop ASAP.

Comment

Might check with Myer's.They have a selection of Hawk parts.

Comment

In answer to goodkarmech, here's the link to "The Unofficial Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page"

http://www.studebakerswap.com, Or just type in Unofficial Studebaker and it will come up.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1717049Getting hard to find good ones any more. They are out there, I would let the insurance guys handle it. I do have a rust-free GH lid I was going to convert to a GT lid, but decided to keep looking, don't want to harm a decent GH lid. I have an overlay that is decent driver quality, but usual couple of broken tabs on bottom and has a small screw hole in left corner if all else fails... Sorry, I can't make the pic right on my ipad....

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]68307[/ATTACH]Getting hard to find good ones any more. They are out there, I would let the insurance guys handle it. I do have a rust-free GH lid I was going to convert to a GT lid, but decided to keep looking, don't want to harm a decent GH lid. I have an overlay that is decent driver quality, but usual couple of broken tabs on bottom and has a small screw hole in left corner if all else fails... Sorry, I can't make the pic right on my ipad....
                        I talked to the insurance rep today, and he said to choose a shop to do the job, have them take 20 pix, and send them to him, with an estimate. I plan to work out the details of parts procurement with the shop rep. But I do not know of any shop where folks would have a clue of where to locate a Studebaker trunk, or anything else for that matter. I have a shop in mind, and will take the car by there next week. I want to insure replacement parts are of same quality as are on the car now, with main focus on the trunk. I will give them CE's phone number for the stuff they make, and Richard's number for the bumper.

As for trunk lids, I too, have a mint one for 56J. I had two, but foolishly sold one for $60 about 4-5 years ago, just to clear out some of the sheet metal in the garage. If I still had two, I'd simply convert one to the GT. But am gonna hold onto the one I have. There is still plenty of everything out there, and the hunt is part of the fun. I have walked by at least half a dozen 57-63 trunks in the past year. Maybe down the road, I will pick an extra one up, just in case.

Comment

This GT is available from one of our local chapter members in British Columbia. I can't seem to be able to post pics here so PM me with your regular email account and I can send you some pics and contact info.
                          Bill

Comment

I have a very good light brown trunk lid with overlay. $550.00
                            That one came from a 1963 super Hawk and I also have a dash with 160 MPH speedometer and red line tach and R1 engine for sale.
                            You have to come and pick it up in Joliet Illinois.
                            Robert Kapteyn
                            studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                              I have a very good light brown trunk lid with overlay. $550.00
                              That one came from a 1963 super Hawk and I also have a dash with 160 MPH speedometer and red line tach and R1 engine for sale.
                              You have to come and pick it up in Joliet Illinois.
                              Robert Kapteyn
                              studebaker@mac.com
                              Bob,
                              That's about the insurance going rate, I'd say. Especially if the overlay is in good condition. I am trying hard to locate one closer, or one that I can get home without having to ship it. Shipping is expensive, and its always risky. Will keep you in mind though.
                              Thanks,
                              Joe H

Comment

Working...
                              X