Avanti Drip Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Drip Rails

At (or about) what serial number did the drip rails (rain gutters) become standard?
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

My 1963 is car 1355 and was probably produced in mid 1962. It did not have drip rails
    I just put them on
    If you want to ride with the Big Dog
    ....keep your pedal to the metal, your nose in the air and paws on the wheel

sigpic

Remember> it's, not about the destination, its about the journey!
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride
    Keith Wahl , MD 858-518-2190 (C)

Comment

My car in number 63 R 2962. It currently has drip rails but I cannot say if the were added or the car came from South Bend that way.

Comment

My Avanti is Serial Number 63 R 1653 and it did not have the drip rails.

Comment

and

Drip moldings adopted (1) R-4420

Comment

If any Avanti in question was regularly Serviced at a Dealer, some were upgraded.

Many owners never went back to the Dealer, but of course they did not have much time left to do that.

My R-4275A is a pretty Late '63 and was getting fairly close to the change, but has none yet.

The "A" was added by a Calif. Dealer to sell a '63 build as "Year Model 1964".
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
              My car in number 63 R 2962. It currently has drip rails but I cannot say if the were added or the car came from South Bend that way.
              One thing I can say, when I first bought the car, that loads of water would spill past the window seal between the drip rail and body where it is slid in above the seal. I know it sounds like a kluge but I ran a fine bead of clear silicone sealer and that did solve the problem. When I do go to replace the seal, I will reinstall the drip rails with sealer between the body and the rails.

Comment

R4042 does not have drip rails

Comment

When I had 63R4466 it had drip rails

Denny L

Comment

So it is pretty clear there was no known Cut-in Point at least on '63's, and with Dealer and Owner "upgrades" there is Now no way to know anything accurate about these Rain Gutter (Drip Rails).
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich: Read post #5. stupak

Comment

While at a car show "someone" mentioned that adding drip rails at the dealer was a $7.00 option. I can't verify that figure, but I'd guess someone here who has more knowledge can.

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                          While at a car show "someone" mentioned that adding drip rails at the dealer was a $7.00 option. I can't verify that figure, but I'd guess someone here who has more knowledge can.
                          Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

If the date of 14 July is accurate, it would mean production was already installing them by then.

Comment

Way to go Bob. You confirmed the $7.00 "suggested" price.

Comment

Working...
                              X