PDA

View Full Version : Paint: finding California version of Shadowtone Red Metalic

jgrohs
11-01-2017, 11:19 PM
been waiting for my paint guy to paint the wheels on my Packard Hawk project. decided to go shadowtone red with jewel beige top after seeing JD's car in SB in May.

the auto paint supplier can't find a formula for a cali-compliant mix. looking for alternatives ( to moving out of california or shipping the car out of state).

thx in advance

StudeRich
11-02-2017, 01:39 AM
That sounds like the Politicians have driven you OUT of Calif. quite literally! :(

If PPG or Dupont does not make it in Waterborne base, you might be out of luck.
Sneaking it in from out of State, and finding a "backyard painter Guy" to spray it might not be the best plan. :rolleyes:

spokejr
11-02-2017, 08:15 AM
I know more than 1 who has done the run to Phoenix to buy paint.

Then again, you could ship the wheels to a painter outside of Calif to have it done. I'm sure a few on the forum could give referrals.

Ken

That sounds like the Politicians have driven you OUT of Calif. quite literally! :(

If PPG or Dupont does not make it in Waterborne base, you might be out of luck.
Sneaking it in from out of State, and finding a "backyard painter Guy" to spray it might not be the best plan. :rolleyes:

Dwain G.
11-02-2017, 12:43 PM
There is a formula on the Ray-Lin site but I don't know if it is VOC compliant.
http://www.raylinrestoration.com/TechnicalPages/PaintForms.htm

jgrohs
11-02-2017, 11:37 PM
thanks Dwain, that formula uses chroma base, another no-no in california. will call tcp global tomorrow. they've got a match for shadow tone red in low voc, and are located in san diego- but is it legal this week :)

There is a formula on the Ray-Lin site but I don't know if it is VOC compliant.
http://www.raylinrestoration.com/TechnicalPages/PaintForms.htm

jgrohs
11-02-2017, 11:51 PM
ah, the wheels will be followed by the full body on a rotisserie in a few months... too much to drag to nevada - speaking of which, I'll be in reno next week...

I know more than 1 who has done the run to Phoenix to buy paint.

Then again, you could ship the wheels to a painter outside of Calif to have it done. I'm sure a few on the forum could give referrals.

Ken

jgrohs
11-04-2017, 09:48 AM
tcp global had the codes to make California legal paint for shadow tone red metallic, jewel beige, and avanti white ( for the lark). pics coming

sals54
11-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Question is... how does the California paint hold up to time and weather and UV? Would it be prudent to simply send the car out for paint? Perhaps the shipping would not cost as much as a repaint after the California paint peels off?

StudeRich
11-04-2017, 07:27 PM
tcp global had the codes to make California legal paint for shadow tone red metallic, jewel beige, and avanti white ( for the lark). pics coming

The "Avanti White" is not the same as the " '63 Lark/Hawk Ermine White" on a '63 Lark, close maybe but not the same.

jgrohs
11-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Bob P changed the color on the lark from mist blue to "appliance" white ( his description, not mine <g>) years ago. Has a very nice black/white interior, so going back to blue not an option. I prefer avanti white over ermine white, so if it's not going to be factory correct ( engine beefed up to r1 too), it's still all studebaker. hoping to bring it up to Tacoma next year.

RareBird
01-09-2018, 11:56 AM
How's the Shadowtone coming along? You have your Hawk painted yet?

swvalcon
01-09-2018, 12:35 PM
If you know anyone in AZ just have them mail you a well hidden gallon of paint in what ever brand you want.

jgrohs
01-09-2018, 11:50 PM
only the wheels so far - tires already mounted. I'll take a pic and post this weekend. looks great!

How's the Shadowtone coming along? You have your Hawk painted yet?

jgrohs
01-16-2018, 12:10 AM
it's a start!

TWChamp
01-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Nice looking wide white. Just wondering how much they cost, as I could use a set for my 1950 Land Cruiser.

Due to cost, I did buy a set of four 225-75-R15 narrow whites for $270 delivered.

jgrohs
01-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Diamondbacks with 2.5 inch whitewalls. 277 each with shipping to California.

TWChamp
01-16-2018, 11:43 PM
Ouch! That's why I settled for the narrow whitewall for now. Thanks