PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: This is probably a strange question.

jeryst
11-01-2017, 01:33 PM
I recently purchased a 56 Power Hawk. I was looking underneath it the other day, and noticed something
strange looking. Hanging down from underneath the transmission
is the end of what looks like a very thick plastic bag. As I
investigated further, I could see that it continues up along
the bottom of the transmission between the transmission
and the crossmember. It only sticks out about an inch below
the transmission.

Does anyone know what that might be? I dont think it
belongs there, but it looks like it was put there on purpose.
I asked the previous owner about it and he said it was like
that when he bought it in the early 90's.

Was it something they used to do to reduce vibration or
noise of some type?

52-fan
11-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Any chance you could post a picture? That doesn't sound like anything I have heard of.

Ross
11-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Are you perhaps describing the decayed remains of the air duct to the under seat heater?

jts359
11-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Maybe a explosion proof blanket from back in it drag racing days , Ed

63 R2 Hawk
11-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Sounds like an owner-installed shroud for the Studebaker automatic frame oiler....

jeryst
11-01-2017, 10:24 PM
I hope this uploads correctly

jeryst
11-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Ok, the picture uploaded but it is rotated 90 degrees to the left. If you look right between
the light and the exhaust pipe, you will see the bag. It looks really old and seems to be
made of an extremely thick yellowish plastic. It seems to have some type of clear fluid in it. The
angle of it looks a little misleading but it actually runs from side to side not front to back.
It looks like it continues up between the tranny and the cross member but I cant tell how
far up it goes.

doofus
11-02-2017, 07:28 AM
There have been cases of "Things" being stuffed between trans and floor to quiet a strange noise. lost a T shirt that way once. Doofus

Jerry Forrester
11-02-2017, 07:35 AM
I hope this uploads correctly

Could you take a picture without the light pointing straight at the camera? That hurts my eyes.

jeryst
11-02-2017, 07:42 AM
There have been cases of "Things" being stuffed between trans and floor to quiet a strange noise. lost a T shirt that way once. Doofus

Could be. This is between the tranny and the tranny crossmember however.

jeryst
11-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Could you take a picture without the light pointing straight at the camera? That hurts my eyes.

Lol. Put your finger over the light. It's LED so it shouldn't burn you.

Sbaker57
11-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Looks like a fuel sending unit sock added to the road draft tube. Maybe to slow the exit of oil?

jeryst
11-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Looks like a fuel sending unit sock added to the road draft tube. Maybe to slow the exit of oil?

I have absolutely no idea what that means.

jeryst
11-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Also, if you look at the picture, you can see the flywheel.
I assume there is supposed to be some type of cover there.
Is it called an inspection cover, or something else?
Does anyone have a part number?

52-fan
11-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Try these. I eliminated the light in the background and enlarged.

Jeff_H
11-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Tend to agree it looks like the sock that would be found inside fuel tank of a modern FI car attached to the fuel pump inlet. The exhaust pipe is in the way in picture, but is that a sort of sheet metal band crimped onto the draft tube with the "sock" trapped between? The appearance of the end of the tube looks cleaner than farther up and also looks dinged up.

Agree maybe someone put that on there to keep oil from dripping out. Sure not helping for venting the crankcase though! The extra resistance to flow caused by that filter probably negates the vacuum from under the car under motion that the draft tube is intended to take advantage of.

On the other hand, if there is a positive vent setup installed up top, maybe the tube is now a inlet instead of a outlet so that filter makes some sense?

az64stude
11-02-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm thinking an oil slinger shield some shade tree mechanic installed. I would remove it and see what happens, as far as transmission torque shield can't say for sure but looks correct. Torque converters and transmissions in the 56 hawks are all air cooled that I've seen. How about showing more pictures?

wittsend
11-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Looks like the trapped remains of a yellow rain coat of someone who got run over! :eek:

Jerry Forrester
11-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Lol. Put your finger over the light. It's LED so it shouldn't burn you.

Ok. Thanks. That worked.

jeryst
11-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Looks like the trapped remains of a yellow rain coat of someone who got run over! :eek:

Best explanation yet!

StudeRich
11-03-2017, 02:26 AM
I have absolutely no idea what that means.

The Pipe that comes down behind the Oil Pan from the Rear of the Lifter Cover under the Intake Manifold at the Top rear of the Engine, is called the "Crankcase Breather Tube" that is what posters are rightly calling a "Draft Tube".

THAT is what you see running right into that yellow "Raincoat".
If it is not fastened to anything, it should be easy to rip it out of there.

leonard
11-03-2017, 04:57 AM
STUDERICH i'm only been a member for about 4 years. iv'e noticed you are a wealth of information [ god bless you ] have you ever thought about writing a book?i'm not a young kid infact i'm ptetty old [ 78 ] they say you are never to old to learn. inthis case they are right. it amazes me how much i learned reading your reply threads. thanks for all you do. LEONARD

StudeRich
11-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Thank you for the nice comments Leonard, :)
I am not much into writing, but nowadays I guess I could Type it!
In the hours I have spent thinking, researching, and typing 26,466 Posts I could have done a COUPLE Books!

Mostly all are answers to questions, I very rarely ever create my own new Strings.

jeryst
11-03-2017, 07:10 PM
The Pipe that comes down behind the Oil Pan from the Rear of the Lifter Cover under the Intake Manifold at the Top rear of the Engine, is called the "Crankcase Breather Tube" that is what posters are rightly calling a "Draft Tube".

THAT is what you see running right into that yellow "Raincoat".
If it is not fastened to anything, it should be easy to rip it out of there.

This is a little off topic, but if the crankcase breather tube were blocked, would
that keep the engine from starting? I have a specific reason for asking.

StudeRich
11-03-2017, 07:23 PM
No it would not stop the engine from firing. Number ONE cause of that... the Ignition Points!

However, a blocked Exhaust Pipe would only allow very short run times before quitting, or losing power depending on how well sealed the blockage is.

Mice have been known to drag all kinds of food or nesting into a Tail Pipe and Muffler and really mess things up.

We started one of our Studes. once and smelled something burning and then it started spitting DOG FOOD out of the Pipe! :ohmy: