PDA

View Full Version : Other: Cooper Trendsetter SE, Mastercraft A/S IV, and Multi-Mile Custom 428 A/S 205 75R15 Tires

bjackameit
10-25-2017, 03:47 PM
O.K. Folks --

My recently acquired 1964 Daytona Sedan is equipped with Goodyear Arriva 205 75R15 radial tires -- these are all-weather 1 1/4" whitewall radial tires made in Canada.

They appear to be in good shape -- but they have an old pre-2000 three-digit DOT code of 421 -- which means that they were made in 1991 or 1981 -- it is not possible to tell which.

In any event, they are at least 27 years old and may be 37 years old -- way too old to be driven on and they need to be replaced ASAP.

One option is to purchase Coker reproduction bias ply Firestone Champions which is what I have on my 1964 Wagonaire -- a relatively expensive way to go but available with 1" whitewalls and I am o.k. with bias ply tires after all I grew up with them and when I had Studes as "regular" cars that is what they were equipped with.

But -- since the Daytona is not a must be correct in every way show car -- I am looking at replacing the current tires with the same size (205 75R15) radial in a narrow 3/4" whitewall which is all that is available from local tire stores. Replacing the current radials with the same size radials would cost much less than the Coker Firestones -- as in less than half the cost less.

I will be keeping the stock wheels which I know are considered narrow for that size tire -- but I don't want to revisit that discussion -- there is plenty on the Forum already about the issue of radials on stock Stude wheels.

I have identified three possibilities that come in a narrow 3/4" whitewall and which I can purchase locally --

These are the Cooper Trendsetter SE, Mastercraft A/S IV (also made by Cooper), and Multi-Mile Custom 428 (sold by Merchants Tire and Auto and others).

These fall in a fairly narrow price range with the Multi-Mile being the least expensive and the Trendsetter being the most expensive -- all would be under $500 for five out the door including mounting, balancing, tax, disposal fees, etc.

So -- have any of you run any of these particular radial tires in 205 75R15 on a late model Stude with stock wheels -- and what is your experience with them?

Thanks.

Bill Jackameit

StudeRich
10-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Yes Times Three on the Cooper Trendsetter narrow white P205X75R15 Radials! :!:

I have them and Love them, and I really like buying from an AMERICAN owned Co.

I like their W/W width, I am not all that sure that some years and brands of 1963-'64 tires were not about that width,
1 inch is TOO wide IMHO.

bezhawk
10-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Hankook Optimas were available with a 3/4 whitewall. Don't know if they still are. Very good tires.

RadioRoy
10-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Yes Times Three on the Cooper Trendsetter narrow white P205X75R15 Radials! :!:

I have them and Love them, and I really like buying from an AMERICAN owned Co.

I like their W/W width, I am not all that sure that some years and brands of 1963-'64 tires were not about that width,
1 inch is TOO wide IMHO.

That's what I have on my 60 V-8 rag top. I like them a lot.

Green53
10-25-2017, 10:21 PM
I have the Hankook's on my 64 Daytona convertible. They seem to be fine. I'm looking at the Coopers for my 64 Avanti

Denny L

345 DeSoto
10-26-2017, 08:01 AM
Google up Cooper American Classic radials. I have them on my Sky Hawk...free Shipping from Summit, and best price, too...

bjackameit
10-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Google up Cooper American Classic radials. I have them on my Sky Hawk...free Shipping from Summit, and best price, too...

Thanks for the lead -- I think you mean Coker American Classic Radials --

I took a look on the Summit Racing site and see that there is an American Classic Radial 195 75R15 narrow whitewall for $146 with free shipping -- the 195 is probably a better choice than the 205 (Coker says the American Classic Radial 195 is a replacement for bias ply 640X15 which is the correct original tire on the Daytona) but price for the American Classic with local installation would be several hundred dollars more than the 205 Cooper Trendsetters --

I'll throw this in the mix -- the reviews of the American Classic Radial 195 75R15 are very positive -- and I use a good local installer who can be shipped to directly -- just need to decide if I want to spend the extra $$$ for the slightly narrower American Classic radials.

And yes -- ordering Coker tires of any kind from Summit gets free shipping -- Coker charges the same price as Summit and then adds shipping in addition -- so anyone who wants Cokers can save $$$ by getting them from Summit.

Bill J.

Hawklover
10-26-2017, 09:05 AM
I have them on my Avanti.......look great and purchased at a great price from Discount Tire.com.

Hankook Optimas were available with a 3/4 whitewall. Don't know if they still are. Very good tires.

BobPalma
10-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the lead -- I think you mean Coker American Classic Radials --

I took a look on the Summit Racing site and see that there is an American Classic Radial 195 75R15 narrow whitewall for $146 with free shipping -- the 195 is probably a better choice than the 205 (Coker says the American Classic Radial 195 is a replacement for bias ply 640X15 which is the correct original tire on the Daytona) but price for the American Classic with local installation would be several hundred dollars more than the 205 Cooper Trendsetters --

I'll throw this in the mix -- the reviews of the American Classic Radial 195 75R15 are very positive -- and I use a good local installer who can be shipped to directly -- just need to decide if I want to spend the extra $$$ for the slightly narrower American Classic radials.

And yes -- ordering Coker tires of any kind from Summit gets free shipping -- Coker charges the same price as Summit and then adds shipping in addition -- so anyone who wants Cokers can save $$$ by getting them from Summit.

Bill J.

:!: Absolutely, Bill; do it. You are already aware of the fact that radials will stress your stock 4.5" wide Stude wheels, so why make it worse by installing tires too wide for 4.5" wheels? :o Three of my 1964 Daytonas have P195/75R15 radials on them, but the convertible has 6.70X15 bias because they were on it when I bought it and they're in good shape and look good. :cool: BP

bjackameit
10-26-2017, 11:28 AM
:!: Absolutely, Bill; do it. You are already aware of the fact that radials will stress your stock 4.5" wide Stude wheels, so why make it worse by installing tires too wide for 4.5" wheels? :o Three of my 1964 Daytonas have P195/75R15 radials on them, but the convertible has 6.70X15 bias because they were on it when I bought it and they're in good shape and look good. :cool: BP

Hey Bob --

Are the three with the 195's on stock 4.5" rims? I take it you feel that the extra expense of the American Classic 195's is worth it -- it would only be a bit more -- around $100 -- to get five 640X15 Coker repro Firestone bias ply tires --

BTW -- enjoyed the article in Classic Car about the 1962 Lark Indy Pace Car -- I always wondered about the Avanti thing -- it didn't make sense to me that an Avanti would be used as the Pace Car --

Bill Jackameit

BobPalma
10-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Hey Bob --

Are the three with the 195's on stock 4.5" rims? I take it you feel that the extra expense of the American Classic 195's is worth it -- it would only be a bit more -- around $100 -- to get five 640X15 Coker repro Firestone bias ply tires --

BTW -- enjoyed the article in Classic Car about the 1962 Lark Indy Pace Car -- I always wondered about the Avanti thing -- it didn't make sense to me that an Avanti would be used as the Pace Car --

Bill Jackameit

:!: Yes they are, Jack; all of my cars have 4.5" wide Studebaker wheels from the early 1960s. All four match on each car, but not necessarily from car to car!

I agree with Jim Pepper (the disciple of current-production wheels) that it would be better to have new-production, radial-specification wheels, but I just don't drive all of them enough to justify it, and I don't drive them all that fast. 'Always take back roads and such.

Your opinion (choice) on 195 radials or 6.40 repro bias; I just want to discourage you from 205 anything; the wheels just aren't wide enough to support 205-profile tires correctly.

'Glad you enjoyed the Hemmings Classic Car column. We've known forever that the Avanti was never intended to pace the 1962 Indianapolis 500, but The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum repeating the myth in one of their own displays last winter pushed me over the edge to prove it was urban mythology. :mad:'Wasn't that hard to do, either, as you see. ;) :cool: BP