Hotrods and Brakes Conversion to Disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hotrods and Brakes Conversion to Disc

This is a word of advice to any one considering installing the Hotrods and Brakes disc brake kit on their car. If your time is worth any thing or you are hiring the work done. Do not try to save the money like I did by buying the economy kit and buying the brake parts from another source. I did not read the instructions close enough when I ordered, plus I wanted the red coated calipers, when I ordered my kit. The instructions state that nobs on the caliper will have to be ground off to fit the 10/1/2 in kit if you purchase the economy kit but if you buy the complete kit that operation is completed before shipping. I have had to spend considerable time grinding and fitting to get the proper clearance between the caliper bracket and the caliper.But what would I be doing if not working on my projects ?
    Hawkowner

Thanks for the update. Cost vs convenience is always a factor. My brother always says "My time is the cheapest thing I've got".
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Any other experiences with this conversion I am considering installing this setup on my hawk.

Comment

Yep.
        I put their full kit onto my 54 wagon.
        The only thing I did different was to use longer bracket to spindle fasteners and add the safety of nuts on the back side of the spindle.
        I have a similar kit on my daily driver Lark. Been there for over 100,000 miles with zero problem. After all, it is proven parts (caliper, rotor, bearings) with a simple dumb steel bracket.

Also, I did end up swapping the stock GM iron caliper with the Wilwood replacement. It's made of aluminum.

Mike

Comment

I installed this kit about 8 or 9 years ago on my 62 GT without problem and it works great. Took some time to dial in the rear brakes with an adjustable brake valve, but trouble free for years now. In

Comment

I saved $300, CAREFULLY sourcing the parts myself, on the Hot Rods and Brakes economy kit. Did not need to grind anything off the NEW Raybestos calipers (cheaper than rebuilt @ Rock Auto). 10 1/2" Kit/parts went on and cleared my Stock Studebaker 15" wheels with no problems at all and operate beautifully.

Comment

I had to grind that nub off the calipers I recently bought for the Turner kit, and for the 3-4 Leveski style, 12" kits I have fabricated and installed over the years. Takes about 2 minutes per caliper, on a grinding wheel. Of course, if using a fingernail file, it could be a bit tedious I suppose.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 10-26-2017, 04:46 AM.

Comment

I purchased the full front kit last winter for a 1963 Daytona. I couldn't get all three mounting holes to align in order to get the bolts screwed in, so I drilled out one tapped hole and inserted a longer bolt and then put a nylock nut on it. As for the calipers, although they came with the nubs ground down, they needed even more grinding to fit. I would say that the parts are not machined very precisely.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                X