PDA

View Full Version : Body: Irritating banging noise....fixed

BRUCESTUDE
10-24-2017, 09:43 PM
My Lark has recently developed a banging noise that sounded just like the trunk lid, as if it were loose, when I went over some road bumps.. I messed with the latch adjustment, removed my heavy tool box, tightened the spare tire bracket etc., to no avail. When I put the car up on jack stands, and had my wife push up down on the bumper, the noise sounded like the fuel tank was hitting the underside of the trunk..what the heck?
It turned out to be the left rear upper shock bolt was a mere 1/2 turn loose...easy fix! Sure is funny how a noise can travel in a car; those are some precious minutes I'll never get back!

tim333
10-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Noises travel 7 times faster thru metal than air.

Blue 15G
10-25-2017, 07:14 AM
Reminds me of my low mileage '55 Plymouth I bought in 1990. There was an annoying squeak in the front when hitting bumps. I crawled under it and found the left inner fender at one small spot was making contact with the frame. I took a pair of channel locks and bent the inner fender away from the frame about 1/4 of an inch and the noise was all gone. It made me wonder why someone had put up with that squeak for 35 years without looking for it.

41 Frank
10-25-2017, 08:20 AM
I had a banging noise in our '52 Commander that drove me nuts trying to find. Finally traced it to the upper rear shock rubber bushings having shrunk and hardened from age. A set of new shocks cured it.

52-fan
10-25-2017, 08:58 AM
I recently found that the sway bar link bushings in the rear of my daughter's Jeep were the cause of a banging noise. She thought it was something loose in the spare tire well and was ignoring it, but it concerned me every time I rode in the vehicle. Also, it seemed to be getting louder. Anyway the parts have arrived so I guess I'll be fixing it on her next day off.

BILT4ME
10-25-2017, 02:55 PM
I discovered that every time I was driving my car, there was a whining noise from the right front of the car.

Later on, I just told her to get out and I could drive by myself.

57pack
10-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Years ago my neighbor purchased a new 1960 or may have been a 1961 Lark four door stationwagon.
Every so often I would spot him crawling around under the car. I finally asked him what the matter was?
He replied there was an annoying bang clunk coming from the passenger side of the car. Now this Lark was about three years old by now and he’d been looking for this noise since the car was new.
About that time his daughter came out of the house and opened the front passenger door and jumped into the car and slammed the door. As I was watching this happen, I noticed a slight movement of the center door post! Problem solved!
One weld had broken loose where the door post joined the floor. Guess the spot weld wasn’t good from time of assembly and had separated. He subsequently drilled a hole and installed a bolt, no more noise.

joncon
10-25-2017, 06:06 PM
I just repaired a rattling banging noise in my 3/4 ton 87 Chevy truck, today. The driver side upper shock bushing was completely gone. It still had the original shocks, 114,000 miles on the truck. I installed a new set of shocks, and problem solved.