PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: Gas Fumes

Hawkowner
10-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Any tips out there about controlling fuel smell. I have a 62 289 with a WCFB carb, and after market air cleaner. When I pull in the garage the carb boils I guess an have a strong raw gas smell no insulator under the carb. Any suggestions or success stories. We hate the modern emission controls but d___ they do work.;)
Hawkowner

dynolou2
10-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Being that you are in a warmer area,remove heat riser and substitute a spacer from one of our vendors. You could also block off heat to the intake with the R 3 gaskets and or pack intake crossover with heavy duty aluminum foil. Find a thicker spacer for the carb , take the old gasket with you to match up at the parts store. Lou Cote

bensherb
10-23-2017, 08:39 PM
All good ideas. I've done them all for other reasons. But with a carb and todays fuel you'll never eliminate the smell only reduce it. Only way to eliminate it, if it really bothers you, is to go EFI and a closed fuel system.

tsenecal
10-23-2017, 11:10 PM
If non- ethanol fuel is available to you locally, that could make a difference. My wifes 2002 4- Runner would vent fumes out of the tank in warm weather until we switched to non ethanol. That seemed to cure the problem.

Steve Winzar
10-24-2017, 12:36 AM
You might put a little valve or tap in the fuel line (something easily gotten to) . When you park the car you can flip the valve and just let the engine suck the carb bowl dry until it stalls. Maybe a neat little anti theft device into the bargain...

Jeffry Cassel
10-24-2017, 09:29 AM
As above. Spacer is a grat idea, but be sure your heat riser valve is operating correctly . They can rust in the closed position or bind on the exhaust pipe. If it were closed all the exhaust will be directed thru the intake manifold under the carb making it too hot. Ethanol does burn a lot hotter than straight gas.

bensherb
10-24-2017, 01:14 PM
You might put a little valve or tap in the fuel line (something easily gotten to) . When you park the car you can flip the valve and just let the engine suck the carb bowl dry until it stalls. Maybe a neat little anti theft device into the bargain...

I added an anti back flow valve to the fuel line, so evaporation stops with the carb. It didn't like ethanol and plugged up, so I had to redesign the interior of the valve, all metal and now works great. FYI, with current ethanol fuels an AFB will evaporate dry in about 45 minutes on a hot engine. At least in our CA weather.

jpepper
10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
The open element air cleaner is not helping.

jnormanh
10-24-2017, 04:28 PM
If it has a strong gasoline smell, don't smoke around it until you fix it.

Gasoline fumes plus an ignition source = WHOOOMMPH! Bye-bye car, maybe bye-bye house.

StudeRich
10-24-2017, 05:07 PM
The "OTHER" possibility that has not directly been mentioned is, if your WCFB has been "Boiled out" with Carb. Dip SEVERAL times in it's life or just Old, it could have a lot of Porosity allowing fuel to evaporate THROUGH the Castings.

So the fix for that is, a NEW Edelbrock AFB Clone and an SDC Member re-machined Intake Manifold, either your square bore one or a 2 Brl. one Properly Machined to accept the AFB pattern and Throttle Plates.