Need Transporter advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Transporter advice

I need advice on buying and having a car shipped across country from someone who has done it.

Who should I use to transport the car?

Whats the best way to pay and get the title?

Thanks

Are you going to be present at time of title transfer ?
    I mean, are you buying it sight unseen ?
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I've bought cross country twice.
      Was present at time of purchase both times.
      Second time the seller demanded cash. A reasonable request.
      I opened an account at Bank of America in my home town.
      Deposited cash in the account.
      At time of purchase we stepped into his local Bank of America.
      I had him sign for the cash and had the cashier count it out to him.
      Stepped into the banks notary publics office to have all the paperwork stamped.
      I never had any large sums off money, he received cash.
      All the agencies that you contact for transport will be brokers who peddle your load to a trucker.
      Good luck on finding an honest one.
      Both times I did it, took months, and ended up costing me more than we originally agreed.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I will not be there. To far away.

Comment

uSHIP IS EASY. There are tons of shipping companies. People buy high end cars on Bring a trailer .com, so might be some companies listed there. It is just like moving any other freight or package. There are good companies and bad companies. Do your research.

Comment

more info might help.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I have bought numerous Studebakers sight unseen and had them shipped to Virginia. They came from California (2), Texas, Kansas (5, including a buggy and Packard), Minnesota, Nebraska (horse drawn wagon), New York (another horse drawn), Maine, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Georgia, New Hampshire, Ohio and Rhode Island. I have a friend who runs a trucking company who brought me many of them. I also bought numerous tractors sight unseen in both the US and Canada. Only deal I ever got screwed on was a $100 chain saw outside Dallas.

Comment

Like the Prez (Dan) I've done it 3 times ,only once was it the quoted price and on time. I may try Reliance, or something like that trucking because they advertised on Barrett Jackson. I bought a Car from Gateway and they had my title to me a month before the car arrived.

Comment

Thank you for the advice in post #3 about the alternate to carrying a large amount of cash. I will remember that if I ever have to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by AllstonEP View Post
                    uSHIP IS EASY. There are tons of shipping companies. People buy high end cars on Bring a trailer .com, so might be some companies listed there. It is just like moving any other freight or package. There are good companies and bad companies. Do your research.
                    People who buy high end cars don't use uShip. Use a known company. Someone mentioned Reliance, it's Reliable. I have used Horseless Carriage and Passport with great results. You get what you pay for.
                    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Thanks everyone. Guess I should have mention this is a low dollar driver.

Was just looking for some advice on transport companies.

Comment

I'm in the middle of this right now, trying to get a '55 Conestoga from Oklahoma to Florida.

I've got a phone number for an owner/driver that hauled a '56 President from Oregon to Florida for me about a year ago. Best car shipping experience I've had. I've referred him to a few friends and so far they've had good experiences too. If you'd like, I can pass along his info.

That said, he can't get to the '55 wagon anytime soon so he's referred me to a friend of his. Fingers crossed.

I've had a few Studebakers transported across the country (one from Canada) and it can be a little nerve wracking to choose the right hauler.

Comment

Hey Matt, you want nerve wracking ? Try having one come across 2500 miles of ocean on or in a huge container boat, unloaded by who knows on another island, re-loaded onto a barge, then towed with a real long "rope" like thing over 200 miles to our port and hoping they call before they all try it out and then store it by the salty sea to wait for us to get over there.......with some gas and a battery in case they "forgot" to unhook the battery and drained it by leaving something on..... Whew ! BUT, all was good !
                          Attached Files

Comment

When Peg Trucking (a broker) retired she recommended Steve at 'Always Haulin' 920-602-8032.
                            Or be your own broker and go to Yesterdays Tractor http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl and place a 'Need Hauled' ad.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                            X