PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Avanti owners with four speeds.........

Hawklover
10-22-2017, 07:40 PM
I am attempting to ascertain what is being utilized as a shift boot.........I doubt any cars built with four speed still have their factory rubber boots........so that brings up the question what is being used as of 2017?
Sadly, the Ed Reynolds re-popped boot is not made of rubber (neoprene sp) is way too stiff with little "give" and the bottom lip is far too narrow........which results in the boot popping out from the center console ring/plate........and it's getting "old' taking the thing apart to re-set it in place.

I understand Dorman makes boots.......but they do not give the exact dimensions of the shift hole and bottom lip.

Thanks in advance for any and all comment.

sweetolbob
10-22-2017, 08:36 PM
If you are looking for OEM style, I'm out of the loop but I used the square version of this Lokar boot in the 74 6-speed. It's a nice air tight flexible boot and you can use your trim ring if you want.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-70hrb/overview/

Bob

52 Ragtop
10-22-2017, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that Studebaker International had them reproduced, Maybe Ed is out of them? I have a Hurst shifter in my 63, used the stock boot, and shifts SO MUCH better!

Jim

Hawklover
10-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Jim yes you are correct, but Ed Reynolds (Studebaker International) had them made of a very stiff neoprene with almost zero true give, and the bottom lip is way too narrow and keeps pulling up from the fiberglass consul plate:-(
I'm pretty sure that Studebaker International had them reproduced, Maybe Ed is out of them? I have a Hurst shifter in my 63, used the stock boot, and shifts SO MUCH better!

Jim

Hawklover
10-22-2017, 09:29 PM
I have a Hurst shifter, but the stick is a copy of the Studebaker one, not Hurst.

spokejr
10-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the tip Bob. I just got my car back together (enough to sort out) and I really don't want that big, clunk boot Hurst supplies to fit their shiter. My plan had been to get a boot made to fit the powershift opening. This will be a whole lot better in the short run.

As for Hawklover, do not despair, Lokar makes one with a round base too; https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/lokar/product-line/lokar-shifter-boot-sets/length-in/6-750-in?N=400015%2B300890%2B4294919035&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Default&autoview=SKU&ibanner=SREPD5

64V-K7
10-23-2017, 01:01 PM
Don't know if this might work, but how about a CV joint boot with a little tweaking

bezhawk
10-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Don't know if this might work, but how about a CV joint boot with a little tweaking I thought the same thing. Perhaps from an ATV which would be smaller.

Lynn
10-23-2017, 07:07 PM
What are the dimensions of the hole? Could be there are some other vehicles from the 60's with similar size holes. 69 Camaro is 4.75 by 3.375.

Hawklover
10-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the tip Bob. I just got my car back together (enough to sort out) and I really don't want that big, clunk boot Hurst supplies to fit their shiter. My plan had been to get a boot made to fit the powershift opening. This will be a whole lot better in the short run.

As for Hawklover, do not despair, Lokar makes one with a round base too; https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/lokar/product-line/lokar-shifter-boot-sets/length-in/6-750-in?N=400015%2B300890%2B4294919035&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Default&autoview=SKU&ibanner=SREPD5

Sadly the ring is not round:-(

Hawklover
10-23-2017, 07:12 PM
The hole in the Avanti is between 3 & 5/8- 3 and 3/4 inches across....also the boot needs to have a lip that will slip under the fiberglass console -plate.
What are the dimensions of the hole? Could be there are some other vehicles from the 60's with similar size holes. 69 Camaro is 4.75 by 3.375.

Hawklover
10-23-2017, 07:22 PM
CV boots are not flat at the bottom and have no lips.......can not see how one would work in an Avanti?
I thought the same thing. Perhaps from an ATV which would be smaller.

Gunslinger
10-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Try a boot from a mid-60s Mopar B-body...Charger, Coronet, Satellite...without a console. I had a '67 Dodge Charger with a 4-speed and the boot looked roughly the same size. They should be available from Mopar repop vendors.

sweetolbob
10-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Sadly the ring is not round:-(

It doesn't matter what shape the hold down is as long as it's screwed or bolted down. The Lokar boot fans out as a circle or rectangle depending on the supplied bezel shape but it can be trimmed/adjusted to any shape desired. The boot is a good solution but it is obviously not stock. The upside is it is very flexible and seals well.

Bob

spokejr
10-24-2017, 12:46 AM
Hawk, had you searched a little bit on their site, you would have found this;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-70-bhrb/overview/
The boot can also be mounted on the bottom side as well as the top.

Hawklover
10-24-2017, 10:05 AM
Yes I am aware of this, as I attempted to use this some years ago........but, I want to use the Studebaker Chrome ring as the car was built, and not have to resort to making holes in the wood grain overlay of the shifter area. Greatly appreciate all of the input from all of you:-)
Hawk, had you searched a little bit on their site, you would have found this;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-70-bhrb/overview/
The boot can also be mounted on the bottom side as well as the top.

Hawklover
10-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Found a great match!!!!!!!!

MGA auto's from the late 50's through the mid 60's.........almost too good to have hoped for!

Lynn
10-25-2017, 09:32 PM
I knew there had to be something close out there.