PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Change Oil?

Kato
10-20-2017, 07:24 PM
This is going to sound like a stupid question to some but I have never been known as the sharpest knife in the drawer!

I changed the oil in my 62 Hawk a little over a week ago as I was preparing it for storage and I know the acidity in used oil is not good for an engine sitting idle for 5 months.

However, the weather in this area looks to be spectacular this weekend so I am considering going for a fall colors drive of maybe 200 miles. Should I change the oil again before storage or is that over kill? Would 2 or 300 miles produce enough acidity to be concerned about?:confused:

studegary
10-20-2017, 07:51 PM
A few short runs would be a lot worse than that 200 mile trip. I would not change the oil again after your trip.

T.J. lavallee
10-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Since acid corrosion from storage concerns you may I suggest fogging your motor. Hold your throttle open to a high idle and spray fogging oil directly into the carb until the motor stalls. Then pull your plugs and spray fogging oil into each cylinder. (Follow the directions on the can) Button her up and your motor will be protected for that long slumber and will be ready for that first spring drive. I also see no reason to change your oil after your trip.

Kato
10-21-2017, 08:11 AM
A few short runs would be a lot worse than that 200 mile trip. I would not change the oil again after your trip.

That's a good point. One long drive is about all she'll do now then into storage. Thanks..

Kato
10-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Since acid corrosion from storage concerns you may I suggest fogging your motor. Hold your throttle open to a high idle and spray fogging oil directly into the carb until the motor stalls. Then pull your plugs and spray fogging oil into each cylinder. (Follow the directions on the can) Button her up and your motor will be protected for that long slumber and will be ready for that first spring drive. I also see no reason to change your oil after your trip.

Yes absolutely I fog the engine for storage. It is stored in a dry heated building kept at about 45 F all winter. I just have to believe a bit of effort goes a long way in protecting any type of machinery during storage, especially our old Studes! Thanks for the advice.