Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ac delco window type distributor question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ac delco window type distributor question.

Could some one tell Me the point gap setting, on I think 1959 - 61 V8s ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

It's going to be roughly .016"
    But you are supposed to use a dwell meter and an Allen key to set the dwell to 30 degrees with the engine idling, which is why there is a window. Sixteen thousandths will be close enough to get the engine started to do the dwell setting.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Interesting, but maybe not so helpful note: The way we USED to do it is;
      install the Points with the Factory Set Gap, crank the engine check to see that they open.
      Start the engine, turn the Allen screw in until it misfires, back it out, not remembering this part for sure after 50 years, but I believe it was ONE turn, but whatever it was, every time the Dwell would show a perfect 30 Degrees right in the middle of the 28 to 32 Spec. !!

FYI: the Delco Window Type Distributor was only used on Larks, and only on 1960 and 1961 Models.
      Although you find them in any and every year of Stude. V8's now, because back in the "Old Days" of running POINTS, they were easy to adjust with the Engine running.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-18-2017, 11:35 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wonderful distributors! Just set points close and adjust points with Allen wrench (there is a flexible tool that makes it evn easier) and adjust dwell angle to 28-32 degees.

Comment

Anything to the reports that the Delco dizzys hold their timing much more accurately than the Prestolites?
          '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Originally posted by Bills R2 View Post
            Anything to the reports that the Delco dizzys hold their timing much more accurately than the Prestolites?
            I've heard arguments both ways. I like the window type just for the convenience of being able to set the dwell while running. I'm reaching the point where I'm going to install a Distributor on a 289 truck engine. I have non-window delco, and prestolite distributors.

In addition, I have a spare 259 that has not run in decades. I removed it from a parts car. There is a Delco window type distributor in that engine. I think I will remove it, clean it up, and if it seems OK, use it in the 289. That's my plan for now, unless someone here can post a convincing reason I shouldn't use it.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks Gord.

Originally posted by gordr View Post
              It's going to be roughly .016"
              But you are supposed to use a dwell meter and an Allen key to set the dwell to 30 degrees with the engine idling, which is why there is a window. Sixteen thousandths will be close enough to get the engine started to do the dwell setting.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                I've heard arguments both ways. I like the window type just for the convenience of being able to set the dwell while running. I'm reaching the point where I'm going to install a Distributor on a 289 truck engine. I have non-window delco, and prestolite distributors.

In addition, I have a spare 259 that has not run in decades. I removed it from a parts car. There is a Delco window type distributor in that engine. I think I will remove it, clean it up, and if it seems OK, use it in the 289. That's my plan for now, unless someone here can post a convincing reason I shouldn't use it.
                I've fixed and/or modified several of the three distributors, the only one I found worth while to use ,as is, was the window type. Parts were easiest to get and super easy to set up. Now I just use the bottom half of any of them and the top of an HEI; a huge improvement over points.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Start the engine, turn the Allen screw in until it misfires, back it out, not remembering this part for sure after 50 years, but I believe it was ONE turn, but whatever it was, every time the Dwell would show a perfect 30 Degrees right in the middle of the 28 to 32 Spec. !!
                  This rang a bell and I had to check it as I did this myself only a couple of times. You have to back off the Allen screw only ONE HALF TURN to achieve the correct setting.
                  Nice day to all.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X