M5 side wheel carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 side wheel carrier

Does anyone know if the M5 trucks had a side wheel carrier as an option? I've seen pictures of a 1948 that looked like it had an original wheel carrier on passenger side but didn't know if that was an option. I have a 1947 M5 and would really like that option if it was original.

I'm not sure when a "side" spare carrier was offered, except for the front fenders of pre-war Coupe Express trucks. But, just as there were plenty of homemade and aftermarket "optional" bumpers that were so common for all years of commercial and utility vehicles..."original" is a rather subjective judgement. Whether it is a Business Coupe, with custom cabinets or tool boxes in those huge trunks, or a truck sold as a bare cab & chassis, what was added to make it useful should be allowed broad consideration and acceptance. (My opinion)

I believe anyone with rudimentary skills and necessary tools, could take a truck fender, make a cut-out, install a concave insert, use a few pieces of flat steel, bar stock, and three studs to weld up a side mount carrier as good as any that could be bought. My personal challenge in building one, would be in getting all the angles worked out. "Measure twice and cut once" is an old saying that works well for lots of folks. For me, measuring twice is never enough. In my younger days, I would have tackled the project, if for nothing else, but the challenge. Now...I would gladly purchase one to save me from the skinned knuckles, and sore back.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I found these pictures of M series trucks with a side mounted spare. It doesn't appear to have required a cut in the fender.
      Attached Files
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by rpaddick View Post
        Does anyone know if the M5 trucks had a side wheel carrier as an option? I've seen pictures of a 1948 that looked like it had an original wheel carrier on passenger side but didn't know if that was an option. I have a 1947 M5 and would really like that option if it was original.
        I've never seen any literature that indicated a factory option like this. However, I have seen numerous trucks with an aftermarket setup that did not require dimpling of the fender. IMHO, the side mounted spare looks fantastic. For purists, it would mean installing non-factory authorized equipment and points loss on the judging field.
        Bo

Comment

Agree with Bo. JCWhitney used to carry aftermarket spare tire mounts for most makes of pickup.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

M5 side tire carrier

Originally posted by rpaddick View Post
            I agree with what everyone has responded to you with. My '47 M5 came with a homemade side tire carrier and it looks great. No need for fender cutting. I have duplicated the one this truck has, with the thought that maybe M5 guys may be interested in these. I am not sure how to post pics on this forum so if you email or message me, I can send pics of mine. email: whitesmtn@cox.net text/message: 805 680-1456

Comment

Working...
            X