PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Off Shore Drums & Rotors

JoeHall
10-14-2017, 08:15 PM
I recently did a major brake job on the 63GT, and included new rotors & drums. They were supposedly Bendix, but stamped made in China, and only cost about $50 each at Summitt. However, the new front rotors (for Turner's kit, same as 68 Mustang) had some problems: They sat about .100" too far inboard, so I could not get them to stop scraping against the dust shield. Sitting too far inboard also caused the sspindle nut to stick too far out the other side, so the grease caps would not fully seat. Further, the grease seals fit too tight, and were difficult to install without warping (ruined one).

So in light of the above, I recently took the original (Turner) rotors to local NAPA and had them turned, to reinstall on the car and replace the Chinese ones. Today I installed them and, to top it all off, discovered one of the Chinese rotors had already worn a groove in the surface, at less than 500 miles. So I guess the Chinese rotors will go in the spare parts pile, but hope I never really have to used them.

Chinese knock offs are cheap, and original USA made rotors are expensive, but I learned you get what you pay for.

63 R2 Hawk
10-14-2017, 10:27 PM
I would contact Summit and return them, doesn't sound like you would want them for spares under any circumstances. I still have the original Dunlop style brakes on my '63 (I believe they may even be the original discs) and they work fine, as long as they have been set up correctly initially.

Steve Winzar
10-14-2017, 11:05 PM
I think that feedback to the supplier/importer/manufacturer is important in cases like this. Admittedly, these aren't bona fide 'Studebaker' repro parts and of the FoMoCo realm, but unless the voice of disapproval speaks, disappointment will continue. Do return them to the supplier with your disapproval. I remember replacing the rotors on my Nissan 280ZX with 'Offshore' parts and was very pleased with the cost and service life, so not everything has to be rubbish. Gee, I wonder how many of us have those Chinese 4 post hoists? ;)

r1lark
10-15-2017, 05:15 AM
So, as an extension of this whole Chinese/offshore rotor/drum discussion -- where are the current reproduction Studebaker car and truck drums, and car disc brake rotors, manufactured?

swvalcon
10-15-2017, 09:15 AM
I was told by my local parts store that no one in the USA make rotors anymore. Maybe what we all need to do is stop buying anything made in China. Find made in USA or find another way.

JoeHall
10-15-2017, 10:06 AM
The good news, China has pretty much repro'd every drum or rotor that was ever made, available once again. The 11" rear drums I fitted to the 63GT were actually for 1957-67 large size FoMoCo, if I recall. Granted, made in China, but true NOS is probably near unobtainium, and would probabl be costly. OTOH, you can buy the Chinese made ones all day long for about $50.

Most concerning about the Chinese rotors was the "wavey" groove in one of them. If that is an indicator of wear rate, they'd have to be turned every 10,000 or so.

kxet
10-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Bought 2 new front drums for an old Dodge pickup, one was .018 out of round. Took it back to where I got it, they replaced it with another out of round one.Parts store had them machined. Both drums were made in Canada. Lot of problems replaceing studs twice.