PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: 31 model 54

scoutergord
10-13-2017, 08:47 PM
My 31 model 54 is wired negative ground.The positive terminal runs to the starter solenoid.The car runs but doesn't charge.ameter reads backwards.How do I put this right and repair generator?

Ross
10-14-2017, 04:37 AM
Not to worry. Switch your battery cables and then repolarize the generator before starting. Not sure about a model that old as it might have a cutout rather than a regulator, but the usual procedure is to momentarily short between the battery and generator terminals on the regulator.
The lack of charge might easily be for another reason beside the reversed polarity, but try that first.

scoutergord
10-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Hard to believe it could be thar simple.the coil and starter aren't affected by the reverse polarity?

Ron Strasser
10-14-2017, 03:38 PM
scotergord;
The starter does not care if it is positive or negative ground; unless the internal wiring is changed it will always rotate in the same direction.
As for the coil, If the car is positive ground; the negative coil terminal should be connected to the distributor. If negative ground; then the positive terminal on the coil should be connected to the distributor.
I would check with the manual for a 1931 Studebaker before trying too polarize the generator.
You need a volt meter to check if the generator is charging. If the ammeter reads backwards; swap the wires on the terminals on the back of the ammeter.
Ron

scoutergord
10-14-2017, 06:29 PM
scotergord;
The starter does not care if it is positive or negative ground; unless the internal wiring is changed it will always rotate in the same direction.
As for the coil, If the car is positive ground; the negative coil terminal should be connected to the distributor. If negative ground; then the positive terminal on the coil should be connected to the distributor.
I would check with the manual for a 1931 Studebaker before trying too polarize the generator.
You need a volt meter to check if the generator is charging. If the ammeter reads backwards; swap the wires on the terminals on the back of the ammeter.
Ron

Thanks unfortunately there is no manual for 31s .There is no actual voltage reg.so polarizing it is going to be a challenge.Thanks for your input.