PDA

View Full Version : Steering Installing Bendix Power Steering on 1962 GT

Hawkowner
10-13-2017, 07:37 PM
I am in the process of installing power steering on my Hawk Thought would post some pictures and an ask a question or 2.
A while back I saw a posting that had a parts book graphic in it could some one point me in that direction.677496774967750

jrlemke
10-13-2017, 09:38 PM
If you can find the Studebaker templates here, they had the templates for the dealer to install power steering on Hawks. E-mail me with your mailing address and I'll try to find mine and send you copies of what I have. I'm doing the same on my '61. -Jim

JoeHall
10-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Looks like you have all the mechanical components lined up. Do not bother with adding the shock absorber assist, which was unique to 62GTs. They are useless. I believe it woulda been easier to pop the tie rods and reach rod ball joints off, before you removed the octopus from the pivot bearing.

As for hydraulic components, that is where it gets messy. I recommend you install a seal & bearing kit in the pump, a seal kit in the ram, and a seal kit in the power valve, before installing them in the vehicle. Otherwise, you will just have to come back and do it later, probably in less than six months.

For the pump, hopefully you have the later mod added to the mount. Hard to explain, but it makes it more solid, and less prone to get out of alignment.

You will not regret adding PS. For me, it makes Studes much more pleasant to drive. I would not own a Stude without PS.

Good Luck !

64studeavanti
10-14-2017, 07:41 AM
I have repair manual you could borrow. Tge parts manuals are on Bob Johnstone's web site.

64studeavanti
10-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Joe,
What is the later mod? The ones I have installed use 2 special bolts to the water manifold and another support bracket to the exhaust manifold.

JoeHall
10-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Joe,
What is the later mod? The ones I have installed use 2 special bolts to the water manifold and another support bracket to the exhaust manifold.

It is the support that bolts to the manifold, which you mention. I understand earlier Bendix pumps did not have that added support, and it is definitely needed.