PDA

View Full Version : Frame/Springs Replacing rear crossmember

dynolou2
10-13-2017, 09:00 AM
I am about to replace the rear crossmember on a 63 Avanti, as the old one is rusting and crumbling away. Do I shim the body up against the frame before removing the old cross member? Brad, any tips on this operation ? Thank You in advance Lou Cote

bezhawk
10-13-2017, 09:18 AM
The only attaching point of the crossmember is the lower tab that bolts through the spare tire well. You can bolt it and use a thin rubber shim if you want. Then you weld the ends to the sides of the rear uprights. You shouldn't have to replace the rear uprights (body mounts) to replace the rear crossmember, as they are separate pieces and don't normally come with the tubular crossmember.
You may wish to measure the width to the inside of the uprights, and compare it to the new crossmember. Be sure the new one is the same length, not including the weld bead. Then cut and trim the new one to the same length. Dress the weld area clean. You may have to loosen the trunk mounts, and spread the rails a little to slip the new tube into place. Then use a cable come along to pull the gaps closed as you weld.
Good luck. Keep an air blower, or an fire extinguisher handy any time you weld close to fiberglass.

Steve Winzar
10-13-2017, 06:48 PM
I am about to replace the rear crossmember on a 63 Avanti, as the old one is rusting and crumbling away. Do I shim the body up against the frame before removing the old cross member? Brad, any tips on this operation ? Thank You in advance Lou Cote

Hi Lou,
I will need to do a similar job on my 1981 Avanti II. Where do I obtain that tubular crossmember and what do they cost?
thanks , Steve.

63r2
10-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Steve
They are easy to come by either through ebay or a parts dealer. If you have a sample you may be able to get one bend up at an exhaust shop or somewhere where there is a pipe bender.
pb

sweetolbob
10-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Steve
They are easy to come by either through ebay or a parts dealer. If you have a sample you may be able to get one bend up at an exhaust shop or somewhere where there is a pipe bender.
pb

Be sure to heed bezhawk's words above. As 63r2 said they are available from the usual suspects. When the muffler shop bent my head pipes, I also had them fab a rear crossmember. I had them make it a bit longer and I cut it to size to match the original later.

While you're under there, check the bottom of the frame over the rear axle. The frames have a tendency to rust there.

Bob

dynolou2
10-13-2017, 11:29 PM
The local muffler shop may be able to bend you one up. Dan Simmons Silvertone Exhaust and SI carry them but shipping would costly to Australia. Ask around the local Studebaker community, some one has had to have pipes made, it's not super complicated. The one that I sent for is done in stainless steel. Thanks Lou Cote

Ron Dame
10-14-2017, 06:51 AM
Be sure to heed bezhawk's words above. As 63r2 said they are available from the usual suspects. When the muffler shop bent my head pipes, I also had them fab a rear crossmember. I had them make it a bit longer and I cut it to size to match the original later.

While you're under there, check the bottom of the frame over the rear axle. The frames have a tendency to rust there.

Bob

Why do you hear of Avanti frames rusting over the axle but not other Studebakers?

sweetolbob
10-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Why do you hear of Avanti frames rusting over the axle but not other Studebakers?

I wish I had an answer but both my 83 and 74 had that issue and when I mentioned it on a couple of forums (here/AOAI) several members said it wasn't uncommon. Bob

stude dude
10-25-2017, 12:27 AM

The Avanti rear cross-member is tubular, all other Stude models have an open 'U' section channel.

Chris.

sweetolbob
10-25-2017, 08:11 AM
The Avanti rear cross-member is tubular, all other Stude models have an open 'U' section channel.

Chris.

True Chris about the differences but the rust in the rear axle section I discusses is found in the lower plate of the hat section just in front and upward toward the top of the curved section starting just after the front spring mount. Bob

dynolou2
10-25-2017, 09:25 PM
I was under the car on Saturday, replacing the rotted traction bar bushings. I took two shop lights back to the crossmember, could see clear thru it in places, previous owner slathered a lot of spray on under coating on it and in the upright area. So it looks like I will be cutting the remains out and removing the black tar, before the fitting and welding . Still waiting for the crossmember to arrive. Lou Cote

Stormy
05-29-2018, 09:29 AM
After fitting the new rear crossmember in place, is it possible to weld the new part all around to the frame in a 1963 R1 without removing any of the body parts ?

dynolou2
05-30-2018, 11:37 PM
Yes, it can be done but it is a tight fit with the welding gun. I cleaned the frame with roloc discs and cleaned out the holes that the crossmember fits into. you may need to use a ratchet strap to pull the frame together. You need to undo the rear body mounts inside the trunk , 4 bolts. Lou Cote

Stormy
06-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Thank you for the help, Lou. Stormy [Daryl]