prestolite distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: prestolite distributor

Does any one know the pertronix kit for my 63 Champ V8 ? The dist. tag is 1BP-4108. The only listing I find is for IBS, Is this compatible ?

Thanks Roy Fraley

Pertronix at this point in time does not make a kit for the IBP 4108 single point distributor. There is a kit for the IBS 4012 dual point distributor which is used in the R series engines. Bud

Comment

Ok Bud. That answers my question . Thank you so much. Now I can get on with figuring out my engine miss at 2100 rpm. Now I'm thinking it's bad grounding in the distributor.I'm going to add a ground wire and see if this will work. Seems I've tried about everything else. Thanks Roy in northern NM

Comment

Prestolite single point Dist.

Have you removed the Breaker plate and checked the Centrifugal Weights, their shafts and the Springs?

Also test the Vacuum Advance.

I have the Pertronix Igniter III, with adjustable Rev limiter Kits here, but they of course are a little pricier but have a New breaker Plate included.

Bud is correct, the Original Pertronix Igniter I kits for Prestolite single points that we USED to sell were modified by Crane, but are no longer available since Crane is also gone.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 10-13-2017, 01:10 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ignitor III

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Have you removed the Breaker plate and checked the Centrifugal Weights, their shafts and the Springs?

I have the Pertronix Igniter III, with adjustable Rev limiter Kits here, but they of course are a little pricier but have a New breaker Plate included.

Bud is correct, the Original Pertronix Igniter I kits for Prestolite single points that we USED to sell were modified by Crane, but are no longer available since Crane is also gone.
          Kit # 71385 Prestolite 1BP series 8 cylinder studebaker I saw on ebay with coil was $173. Does it fit the 1BP_4108 on my 63 Champ ? If so what is your price and I will save up and get it from you . Thanks for the info Roy ps I do need to replace the springs as one looks sprung also the slot in the weight center seems to have some wear.

Comment

If your distributor is original and has not been rebuilt, then adding a Pertronix module may not fix your problem. The Prestolite distributors have a problem with the holes in the centrifugal advance weights wearing, getting loose and also destroying the slots in the cam. When I rebuild a Prestolite distributor, I replace the trouble prone weights with upgraded weights that have bronze bushings in the holes which makes for a long wearing part. Your distributor also has one heavy spring and one very light one. The springs usually don't cause problems unless they are seriously rusted or a ham fisted mechanic has been into the distributor in the past and stretched the springs. It also wouldn't hurt to have the shaft bushings replaced too as they wear if not lubricated properly. Bud
            Last edited by Bud; 10-14-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Just for the record , Crane Cams is still in business , here in Daytona Beach . A smaller product lineup etc , but still here.
              They've gone thru a lot of iterations , and I don't know much more than that .

Crane Cams, Olive Branch, Mississippi. 7 likes. Designed, Manufactured, and Assembled ALL in the United States.

Bill H
              Daytona Beach
              SDC member since 1970
              Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Originally posted by roy fraley View Post
                Kit # 71385 Prestolite 1BP series 8 cylinder studebaker I saw on ebay with coil was $173. Does it fit the 1BP_4108 on my 63 Champ ? If so what is your price and I will save up and get it from you . Thanks for the info Roy ps I do need to replace the springs as one looks sprung also the slot in the weight center seems to have some wear.
                Look at this post. I bought the #71385 Igniter III and the matching coil for my Prestolite and it works slick. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...on-Kit-Install

Comment

Yes sir

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  If your distributor is original and has not been rebuilt, then adding a Pertronix module may not fix your problem. The Prestolite distributors have a problem with the holes in the centrifugal advance weights wearing, getting loose and also destroying the slots in the cam. When I rebuild a Prestolite distributor, I replace the trouble prone weights with upgraded weights that have bronze bushings in the holes which makes for a long wearing part. Your distributor also has one heavy spring and one very light one. The springs usually don't cause problems unless they are seriously rusted or a ham fisted mechanic has been into the distributor in the past and stretched the springs. It also wouldn't hurt to have the shaft bushings replaced too as they wear if not lubricated properly. Bud
                  The weights and bushings are in good shape. The slots in the came are worn considerably. One of the springs is stretched and have ordered new ones. I didn't know about them being different sizes.The vacuum advance is good,The points that the base plate rides on were gummed up, hence the bad ground bad ground. Iwill have to get the new cam timing piece as money prevails.Thanks again for your help. mAnd Studerich Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                  X