PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: good headlights for classic cars using H 6024

kiplawson
10-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Found this product through the Porsche 356 owners club.

Installation on my 1978 Avanti II was very simple and easy. No mods required. There was just enough room to stuff the connectors and wiring behind the Bucket to make way for the cooling fans.
Yes, this item still uses H4 replacable 9003 type LED bulds that need a cooling fan instead of heat sinks which are much larger and may have not allowed enough clearance. There was no more room for ferrite coils to filter any possible RFI. Harness access in this car is not great.

The low beams are amazingly bright and comparable to todays modern LED lit vehicles; the high beam setting adds an almost indistiquishable amount of light up and to the sides, almost unnecessary because the lows are so bright. Visibility is 500% better over the stock H6024
You can definately hear the cooling fans when lights are energized.

I have replaced 95% of lighting with Asian made LEDs aquired on Ebay with minimal RFI issues except for limited AM reception, FM works great. Avanti's are famous for rotten FM reception and dim lighting (fiberglass bodied and boat type wiring)
...the more room you have behind the buckets of your car , the easier the fitment will be .
Not sure what difference the higher priced SMD lights would be. ... $150 vs $295 ( for 6v & 12V)
This is a great product in comparison to the unknown build quality and reliability of almost all the H4/9003 housings and bulbs sold all over internet.
....expensive but, you get what you pay for!:)

Pelican Parts.com
http://cdn7.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/SuperStock/CLWH-SMD12VS-mini.jpg (http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=CLWH-SMD12VS#)

Silver Series 12V SMD Headlights, 7in round (http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=CLWH-SMD12VS&SuperCat=Y&SVSVSI=&catalog_description=Silver%20Series%20%31%32V%20SMD%20Headlights%2C%20%37in%20ro und)

Part #: CLWH-SMD12VS (http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=CLWH-SMD12VS&SuperCat=Y&SVSVSI=&catalog_description=Silver%20Series%20%31%32V%20SMD%20Headlights%2C%20%37in%20ro und)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=CLWH-SMD12VS&SuperCat=Y&SVSVSI=&catalog_description=Silver%20Series%20%31%32V%20SMD%20Headlights%2C%20%37in%20ro und

48skyliner
10-12-2017, 11:26 AM
I do not doubt the above description and I am sure they are good lights. However for some classics, i.e., something less modern looking than the Avanti, I personally prefer the look of a classic sealed beam. I chose the Hella H4 halogen lights for my 48, and I drive mostly on dark rural 2 lane roads. These lights have the European style sharp cutoff at the top of the beam on low beam, so you don't blind oncoming traffic. Of course like most high quality lights, they are legal for "off road use only", as our laws are written primarily to protect the safety of General Electric. Mine are plenty bright for normal highway speeds, but you can spend a few more dollars and get the high power bulbs if you want extreme brightness.

StudeRich
10-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Certainly NOT for everyone! :(

Mike Van Veghten
10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
48sky wrote -
as our laws are written primarily to protect the safety of General Electric.

The safety of General "Electric"..!? Hmmm...

Mike

345 DeSoto
10-12-2017, 06:13 PM
I have Hella H-4's installed in my Sky Hawk, and they are a VAST improvement over the original headlights. I also installed them in the Rolls Royce in my Avatar. MUCH improved, also...

rockne10
10-12-2017, 07:09 PM
The halogens put out a lot of heat, don't they? And also require sufficient current to warrant installation of a relay not required with the original sealed beams. I would think LED's could be safely used without a relay. Not that I have a clue. :rolleyes:

bezhawk
10-12-2017, 07:25 PM
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kits/led-headlight-kit-h4-led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink/3929/8565/
Buy the H4 housings for $40, and you are good to go with these bulbs.

kiplawson
10-12-2017, 07:59 PM
guess I picked the wrong forum for discussion.

"....looks like I picked the wrong week to quite smokin'...... " Lloyd Bridges - Airplane..the movie;)

sweetolbob
10-12-2017, 08:20 PM

"....looks like I picked the wrong week to quite smokin'...... " Lloyd Bridges - Airplane..the movie;)

And sniffing glue! I guess the forum might think you have some connection to the product or seller by the way the post is structured and that might account for the feedback and questions.

I have enough time in grade here to think there are some valid points and discussion presented. Sorry if it seems otherwise. Bob

wittsend
10-13-2017, 12:50 AM
Hella's pirated from Pick Your Part (select BMW's) for about $3 ea.. The CASO way to "see the light."

r1lark
10-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Mike, don't worry about the "no modifications" naysayers, you just have to ignore them. Sometimes I wonder how they drive their Studebakers without NOS South Bend air to put in their NOS bias play tires, and original Studebaker antifreeze to put in their cooling system, and original Studebaker cans of engine oil :) :eek: :D

I for one appreciate your input on these headlights.

Bud
10-13-2017, 07:31 AM
I have no issue with anything that will add to safety when I drive any old car. Improving lighting is certainly a safety issue as the old 6012 headlight bulb isn't great. The only issue I have with the newer headlights is current draw as the original wiring is marginal even with 6012 bulbs installed. I've added relays to the headlight circuits in both my 62 Hawk and my 63 Avanti which made a big improvement in brightness with the H6024 bulbs. I don't very often drive those cars at night so I can't justify the cost of using the improved LED bulbs. Bud

52-fan
10-13-2017, 08:36 AM
You can definitely hear the cooling fans when lights are energized.

Explain please. The engine cooling fans?

PackardV8
10-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Explain please. The engine cooling fans?

Yes, this item still uses H4 replacable 9003 type LED bulds that need a cooling fan instead of heat sinks

If we're understanding OP correctly, these aftermarket headlight units have an integral cooling fan to keep the bulbs from overheating.

jack vines

creegster
10-13-2017, 01:24 PM
I did a search, found this online

52-fan
10-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Fans? That sounds like something else to go wrong. I think I'll stick will my halogens. :)

kiplawson
10-13-2017, 06:56 PM
Bob,

Really appreciate your reply and honestly, I'm not offended by seemingly skeptical replies and otherwise.
The vintage car enthusiast world is one ripe with many opinions and great experiential knowledge. I welcome the gob faced newcomers and greatly respect all many yeared builders, re-builders and restorers.....they truly offer the best points of view and advice.

I am in no way connected to the makers of the headlights I posted, nor am I connected to Pelican Parts. However, as I am a bargain picker on Ebay and some other sites, quite often I find or try something and it's absolute "dog droppings', especially all the s---t from "Asia". Am also thinking,..."why put that crap on my wonderful 'made in USA' ; pride of the industrial revolution; mid 20th century engineered, hand built and designed by original innovative thinkers that are are now copied and dismissed......????
Isn't that why we love these cars?

So, I get alot of compliments, looks, high 5s and "hey who made that thing" every time I drive around.

I know it's not an original 64' Avanti, but 90 % of the parts came from South Bend plant in 64'. However, Newman & Altman allowed customers to order these cars anyway they wanted them.....polka dots even, if desired!
The premise being that Avanti II owners have license to make certain changes and upgrades in order to give the car more usability because, the majority of Avanti II's have tons of use, previous owners and many , many miles on the odometers. For us, why feign originality?
if I owned and restored a great SuperHawk or other venerable Stude, my thinking would be ... "screw this modern replacement crap". I would want my car as original as possible including the nostalgic incandescent lighting.

My 78 Avanti II is something I'd like to drive around and sometimes I found myself on dark rural roads not being able to see 100 feet in front of me with stock H6024. Then, encountering all the BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus', and other modern cars with new tech projector lights just simply blinding me even more.
I believe upgrading the lighting has put my 78 A II on an even keel with modern driving. Especially, retrofitting all the running lights for a brighter nighttime profile rear & lateral as well as in reverse.

replacing the dash gauge bulbs with these new and very cheap asian leds has made the gauges more visible at night doing away with that dull , vintage incandescent glow.
This all has reduced current draw on the battery and alternator and, I'm speculating ,may in some way be affecting dash light/guage resistor in a positive way but, I really don't know.
I had to replace the signal flasher with an inexpensive asian version that allowed the turn signal to sequence correctly.

Now, the real reason I started this thread is to see if anyone has had any experience running these LEDs in their cars and what kind of incidental odd occurrences they may have created.

yes, I investigated the deals on superbrights.com and discovered that if one searches Ebay one will find the same exact LED bulbs,etc that superbrights.com hawks....at a fraction of the price they are asking.
I spent roughly $50 on all the exterior & interior bulb ( cleaning out the years of road dust as well) retrofitting. The biggest expense was the Pelicanparts.com headlights.
I chose those because the Porsche 356 guys discovered them first and posted testimonials and photos. I took a chance and was amazed by the nighttime visibility improvement.
So, they got little cooling fans but, the whole thing was almost a "no brainer" to install and try out. They gave a 30 day return policy if they were unacceptable but, they aren't!

How many times have we all tried something from the Asian clearing house sellers on Ebay only to discover we were right to be apprehensive in the first place. This purchase was a good one.

Anyway, I have other minor problems with the car and was hoping to learn something.... red wire from tach dissconnected; driver's door lock relay doesn't work with switch, power steering pump losing fluid, general road noise, also, opinions on Dayton wire wheels verses solid alloy Magnum style wheels

Am having fun with the car........thanks for all your replies.

sincerely

Mike :) :cheers:

sweetolbob
10-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Good on ya Mike and a belated welcome.

This is a great forum with a fair bit of tolerance for modification although I'd stay away from custom mods and engine swaps in the 56/57 Golden Hawks;). The N&A Avanti's were made to be driven and as you described they could be factory modified as the customer directed, up to a point.

I own a 74, purchased from the original owner as a basket case and an 83 in finished nick. I solved the interior lighting issue in a much different fashion in the 74.
The interior is a bit different than stock also. The trans went from a 4-speed to a T56 behind a 383 stroker engine so modification is good. :)

https://youtu.be/uXIApXYc2OE

IAC, there's a lot of help available here on the forum so don't be a stranger and thanks for the heads up on the lights.

Bob

bezhawk
10-14-2017, 08:59 AM
67767This all said cost 110 for both headlights. Cree SMD fanless bulbs + the H4 housings. They don't blind oncoming traffic, as a white light is easier on the eyes than the yellow hallogen bulbs. The current draw is 1/10 th the factory bulbs, and you won't need relays and you won't burn up your headlight switches.

kiplawson
10-14-2017, 09:41 AM
...forgot to mention that the Pelican SMD headlights are DOT approved, stamped on the housing. These lights are engineered to point the light onto the road. I did not choose Cree products because they are known to cause RFI radio havoc and may not be DOT approved which may affect auto inspection resulting in safety failure.

Bob,

On your 74' and 83 Avanti's did you ever have a problem getting the FM reception right?
My 78' came with a Kenwood radio/cassette that was totally trashed and then replaced with a real POS thing from Concorde. I finally ended up with a Retrosound Model One that has a kind of NOS vintage look to it with 2 control knobs that are actually multifunction buttons, it uses USB and SD cards to play mp3 files. Went to a junk yard and bought used replacement speakers from Nissan Maxima. The stereo sound is quit good but, I've always has a problem with the radio reception, even before the new LEDS which I'm not sure are causing any significant RFI.
Had to do things with the rear auto antenna but, it could still be better....AM reception is out the window!

Anyway, while routing around under dash I somehow dislodged a red wire which comes from the tachometer,....I can't figure out where it disconnected from under the dash. I just noticed it one day when the tach stopped working. Is it possible this red wire connects somewhere at the fuse panel? I believe it's different from the factory original Avanti wiring......

sweetolbob
10-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Truth be told I don't use the radio for AM/FM. The 74 is still under construction and the 83 has a newer one built into the console. I either use XM or an SD card for my music and if I want AM/FM, I port it through my cellphone to the radio so I don't notice any interference.

The tach is probably a power issue as it is a red wire. You should find the sender wire (for color) on the dissy cap that feeds the ignition signal to the tach and if all else fails, tap 12 volts if you can't find it on the red wire. You may be able to trace it back but there is a real basket of snakes up there.

Bob Johnstone has an excellent website - http://www.studebaker-info.org/ - with some Avanti II wiring diagrams if you search around. But be forewarned, there is very little original Studebaker sourced wiring under there and what has replaced it is subject to extensive variation based on model year and accessories. So the diagrams are usually suggestions unless you find an exact years match.

IAC, Bob has spent extensive time and energy adding all things Studebaker and Avanti from the forums and internet so get familiar with what he has and everytime any of us uses his site we should softly say thanks to Bob. The problem is many don't use it enough.

Avanti - Bob

bezhawk
10-14-2017, 11:30 AM
...forgot to mention that the Pelican SMD headlights are DOT approved, stamped on the housing. These lights are engineered to point the light onto the road. I did not choose Cree products because they are known to cause RFI radio havoc and may not be DOT approved which may affect auto inspection resulting in safety failure.

Bob,

On your 74' and 83 Avanti's did you ever have a problem getting the FM reception right?
My 78' came with a Kenwood radio/cassette that was totally trashed and then replaced with a real POS thing from Concorde. I finally ended up with a Retrosound Model One that has a kind of NOS vintage look to it with 2 control knobs that are actually multifunction buttons, it uses USB and SD cards to play mp3 files. Went to a junk yard and bought used replacement speakers from Nissan Maxima. The stereo sound is quit good but, I've always has a problem with the radio reception, even before the new LEDS which I'm not sure are causing any significant RFI.
Had to do things with the rear auto antenna but, it could still be better....AM reception is out the window!

Anyway, while routing around under dash I somehow dislodged a red wire which comes from the tachometer,....I can't figure out where it disconnected from under the dash. I just noticed it one day when the tach stopped working. Is it possible this red wire connects somewhere at the fuse panel? I believe it's different from the factory original Avanti wiring......The ONLY thing possible about causing ANY radio interference would be the lights YOU chose which has a fan or ballast transformer. These DO NOT. A diode does not cause radio interference.(unless it is used in as an avalanche or zener clamping diode)
I majored in electronics in college. The only way any interference could be induced is if it was a switched alternating current. Then it is not the diode making the RF, it is the switching circuit. Why would one want a switched diode? They are DC devices. If it is to limit heat, then you are using the wrong device in the first place. Buy the LED that can stand up to DC constant current . (Like the ones I posted a link to). An easy way to stop RFI is to add a ferite bead to the LED power cable, after the ballast.
The HOUSINGS are what mainly determines DOT approval. Buy DOT H4 housings that are DOT approved.
Please don't think I'm nay-saying what you like, more power to you, but there are BETTER alternatives out there that you don't have to put up with the hassle of fans.

kiplawson
10-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Thank you Bezhawk for your fine advice,

Thanks for your electronic expertise. the cooling fans are very small and built into the rear heatsinking of the headlight bulb unit. They fit snugly into the original buckets. There are no ballasts on these. Contrary to popular belief LEDs do put out heat and require somekind of cooling.....any quality LED headlight gets hot.
The current drw is a you describe a fraction of the halogen which also run very hot.
The H4 housings are clearly marked ..."DOT"......I am not hassled by these!

Anyway, I was not complaining about RFI although , I was concerned about it from reading various threads ans also some internet videos. Clearly, you believe this is a non existant issue. You're probably right because I am not having RFI issues with the car.
I simply posted that the Avanti IIs FM radio reception was famously mediocre...........there is a simple solution to the radio problem....don't use it!

Apparently, Bob's solution is using the iphone's internet signal and patching that into the sound system.

kiplawson
10-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Bob,

good advice on the red wire. The loose wire just dropped down on day, I'll keep looking for the tab it fell from. You're not kidding about the basket of snakes

The Bob Johnson site is very helpful, strangley organized but some good information there....

Nice looking cars you got there. I like the mag wheels and am considering swapping out of the Dayton wires67770