Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As we approach the start of the La Carrera PanAmericana...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As we approach the start of the La Carrera PanAmericana...

Studebaker Heaven, as the guys warm up....(from the 2016 race)

Now you know where a lot of the '53-54's are....
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Awesome! That just made my day. I look forward to this race every year and marvel at the number of Studebakers that run in it. They practically dominate this race. Is it the aerodynamics?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It's the sex appeal.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Or the cubic inches, most of it is at altitude...
        '53 Commander
        Art Morrison chassis
        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Tech inspection ( I like the subtle flares on the white one..)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	22426576_1980122828866528_7514011668564615163_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1716736Click image for larger version

Name:	22382421_1980121218866689_4960615709646055317_o.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1716737Click image for larger version

Name:	22492026_1980205572191587_703036952910401544_n.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1716738Click image for larger version

Name:	22382320_1980122832199861_2122553504174794234_o.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1716739
          Last edited by ralt12; 10-11-2017, 04:34 PM.
          '53 Commander
          Art Morrison chassis
          LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Awesome SOUNDS!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jim,
              This is the year I check this one off the bucket list. I'm flying to Guadalajara Saturday and will be in Morelia Saturday night and Sunday. I'll follow the race through Zacatecas but then I have to head home. Can we hook up?

-Dick-
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

That was wicked awesome ! ! ! !
                sals54

Comment

Apparently the rules call for a sedan manufactured when the original carrera was being run with nearly stock body. The 53s are the lightest and most aerodynamic cars that fit the rules, I am guessing. Love it!

I'd love to run the modern Carrera but the course is so dangerous I am afraid I'd get killed even if trying to drive very safely.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                    Jim,
                    This is the year I check this one off the bucket list. I'm flying to Guadalajara Saturday and will be in Morelia Saturday night and Sunday. I'll follow the race through Zacatecas but then I have to head home. Can we hook up?

-Dick-
                    Dick, I'm jealous as hell that you're going, I'm stuck in SoCal. I'd love to hook up, cause I'm sure these are built exactly like ours.....
                    Those fellows in the video had their build documented on facebook, and it's got more in common with a NASCAR racecar than a stock vehicle. Regardless, they're the car to beat. If I'm not mistaken, there are various classes that let you run the updated ones, and classes that let you run what was race-prepped in the day (except for modern safety equipment).
                    '53 Commander
                    Art Morrison chassis
                    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Jim,
                      Sorry you can't make it this year. There is always next year. I'll see if I have enough time and expertise to live blog what i see. If not, I'll at least make a report.

Here's a piloto's view from inside the Stude...

https://www.facebook.com/Control.Din...2wfhhfcpKFavXw
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,
                        I've been 3 times. In 2001 I rode a motorcycle from Minnesota to Zacatecas to watch the last 2 days of racing. Raced a '57 Olds in 2003 and a '54 Olds in 2006. Here's my quick advice:
                        1. Don't drink anything unless it comes out of a bottle you see opened. Especially don't drink anything with ice in it. I saw 2 drivers and their support crews nearly unable to finish the race when they got sick before the first day of the race. They suspected it was ice in the drinks from BK. I practically live on the apple soda during the race. I avoid street food vendors as well. Bimbo and other packaged food brands at gas stations can be a life-saver.
                        2. When I walk into the hotel room the first thing I do is throw a washcloth over the faucet in the bathroom so I don't accidentally use it to brush my teeth.
                        3. Zacatecas is at 7500 feet and La Bufa is at 8500. You'll feel it. If you can hook up with a support group you can get a ride out to watch the day's stage. Really worth it. Also be very careful when walking. That town and the area above the race course is a broken ankle waiting to happen (I have literally seen it happen). On the plus side, there are beautiful silver trinkets available for gifts to the wife. Make sure you get into the tour around town but be careful not to drink too much moonshine mescal. Some fellows from MN did that rather than work on their clutch and had to drop out on the last day of racing.
                        4. The main traffic control device in the small towns you drive through is the Tope (speed bump). Treat them with respect or you will be VERY sorry (seen this happen, too).
                        Suspension-killing wonders called topes, which crop up on highways and back streets alike, are a means of enforcing speed control and civility, and cannot be avoided.

Have fun and show us some pictures!

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

I'll be with a good friend who lives in the Aquascalientes area. He is quite familiar with the race and knows several of the drivers and service crews. We have passes to some of the drivers meetings and will get up close to some of the nightly service and repair activities. We'll be on course for some of the speed stages. I'll stay away from those items you list...I didn't watch it closely enough in India and I don't want a repeat of that experience! . (Cerveza is always a good substitute for water )

I wish you were racing this year. That would make it even more interesting.

BTW, we missed the Pt Townsend Wooden Boat Show this year, but being big John Stenibeck fans have been over to Pt Townsend several times to keep track of the restoration of the Western Flyer.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Think this is from this year’s...
                            '53 Commander
                            Art Morrison chassis
                            LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Either day three or day four...
                              '53 Commander
                              Art Morrison chassis
                              LS6 ASA/4L60E