Rockne Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockne Engine?

Howdy folks. I am in search of a good engine for my Rockne. The block cracked from not properly draining it last winter. Its a 1932 65hp engine, rumor has it that the 34-35 dictator will also work.

Thanks for any leads.
    Alan in New Hampshire

You didn't mention whether the block was cracked internally or outside. A QUALIFIED shop may be able to repair the damaged block , if it were stripped down and examined. This could be an alternative, if you are unable to find a different one.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Don't know if it would work, but we have a 37 Dictator engine that was taken apart years ago.

Comment

Didn't the engine powering the Rockne eventually become Studebakers big six cylinder engine?
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by johnstonboys View Post
          Howdy folks. I am in search of a good engine for my Rockne. The block cracked from not properly draining it last winter. Its a 1932 65hp engine, rumor has it that the 34-35 dictator will also work.

Thanks for any leads.
          Alan in New Hampshire
          Thanks for posting this. It should be a warning to all. Although I live in a region I consider "THE EDGE OF WINTER," which is relatively mild compared to many, it does get COLD! When I was a teenager, one frosty morning I awoke to find the "freeze plugs" of the Olds engine in my A Model (hot rod) had been pushed out, and the block cracked. Back then, you could buy a gallon of anti-freeze for less than two bucks. Since I was using a marginally sufficient 32 Chevy radiator, that leaked, and blew out the coolant. With no hood, or fenders, the engine was very accessible. I had become comfortable with opening the petcock and draining the radiator and block, instead of buying anti-freeze.

What I failed to realize, is that "Blocks don't necessarily drain well or complete! Don't matter who made the engine, truck, car, or tractor! Freezing water expands...something will give! LESSON LEARNED!

Something folks who live in true WINTER know, and many rural areas have experienced welders competent in using the proper nickel alloy to weld cast iron. Here in the South, I was fortunate to know a certified Southern Railway welding instructor with the skills.

Sorry for the mishap...hope someone steps up with a solution.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I once owned a 1953 Champion coupe and found that shortly after I bought it, it had a cracked block at the right rear where it was hard to see. I pulled the engine out to get a better look at it and it was cracked about 1" to 1-½" near the top of the block near the head at the corner. I was going to replace the block until I found out about an old-timer who "stitched" cast iron blocks. His primary experience was with large cast machinery such as stationary engines, pumps, etc., but he also did engine blocks. I brought the Champion block to him for repair and watched while he did his artistry. After drilling a series of small holes along the length of the crack and slightly beyond both ends, he carefully peened in short rods of a "special nickel alloy" (as he described it then) and smoothed everything over. It never leaked again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1953 Champion Engine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1716729

Click image for larger version

Name:	1953 Studebaker Champion Coupe.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1716730

Anyone ever hear of this technique? Is it still done?

More info. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq0wfU4ZaKk
            Last edited by 56GH; 10-11-2017, 07:29 AM. Reason: More information
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

I had a 289 repaired in a similar fashion. the crack is drilled, the holes are tapped and a tapered threaded rod is screwed in. the rods overlap one over the other. It makes a permanent nice repair. They have better luck using this method compared to welding. Welding cast iron is a crap shoot even by the most experienced welders.

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
              I once owned a 1953 Champion coupe and found that shortly after I bought it, it had a cracked block at the right rear where it was hard to see. I pulled the engine out to get a better look at it and it was cracked about 1" to 1-½" near the top of the block near the head at the corner. I was going to replace the block until I found out about an old-timer who "stitched" cast iron blocks. His primary experience was with large cast machinery such as stationary engines, pumps, etc., but he also did engine blocks. I brought the Champion block to him for repair and watched while he did his artistry. After drilling a series of small holes along the length of the crack and slightly beyond both ends, he carefully peened in short rods of a "special nickel alloy" (as he described it then) and smoothed everything over. It never leaked again.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Just saw an ad on TV for a product that stops water leaks in anything. The guy promoting it slapped some on a tank that had water pouring out of a hole and then to top that, he cut a motor boat in half, taped it back together and piloted it across the lake at speed. Seems like a simple fix, huh?
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I jb welded my tractor block decades ago and it has never leaked. Worth a shot.

Comment

A friend of mine JB-Welded the block in his drag car and continued to win races for several years; then sold that engine when he moved up to an aluminum hemi.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      Didn't the engine powering the Rockne eventually become Studebakers big six cylinder engine?
                      The Commander Six, YES! Not to be confused with the Big Six models of the 20's.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I third the jb weld. It will work on cracks and such that are not too severe.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67689[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67690[/ATTACH]

Yes, this method is still in use. It is called metal stitching.
                          You can get some technical details here:https://www.metalock.co.uk/typical-o...stitching.aspx and youtube has several videos about this.
                          Your car looks great, by the way.
                          Nice day to all.
                          sigpic

Comment

Jay Leno's Garage on You Tube has an episode with the Christie Fire Engine - the block broke a BIG CHUNK out of it - spit the piston (a gallon paint can sized beast) out. The block was patched with stitching - and he does mention the company that repaired it -

Good luck!

Comment

If repairing is a viable option, definitely examine that action. While there are many later engines that would fit and function, there are few whose numbers can be traced to a Rockne. But, I also believe Robert Kapteyn has a Rockne engine available in Joliet, Illinois. He is rkapteyn on this forum. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...?1010-rkapteyn
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X