question about cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about cooling

I just replaced the water pump and thermostat in my 1985 Ford ranger. I do not seem to have circulation. Upper radiator stays cold and heater is warm, not hot. Truck did not seem hot in the engine compartment after a run to the post office, three miles round trip. Outside temperature is 35 F. What could be the problem, bad thermostat, bad water pump, air bubble? How do I check the water pump? What else cpuld be the problem? I assume a Studebaker could be in the same fix so I put the post here.

Curt,

Did the thermostat you installed have a small little floating ball in the flat part? That is to allow air to get by the thermostat when you're filling the system with coolant. Fords have a tendancy to get an air lock during this procedure. I always look for a "bleed screw" somewhere on the water pump manifold or t-stat housing. Same principle as the Avanti has on its water pump manifold, only it's a petcock. Otherwise loosen a heater hose, or leave the t-stat housing off and fill the system until coolant comes up to that level, then install the t-stat. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Sounds good to me, I will pull a heater hose off. I do not remember seeing a bleed hole in the thermosat.

Comment

Its most likely an air bubble, but let's not rule out other possibilities. Not to insult your intelligence, but could you have put the thermostat in backwards?

1950 Champion
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Good question, I had to take my wife to the doctor today. Will get back to the project tomorrow.

Comment

If it's an air bubble, how do I pop it?

Comment

The problem was, air bubble,and a new thermostat that was sticking open. I solved the air lock by by filling the cooling system at the fire wall where the heater box is located. The heater is higher than the other components of the cooling system. Once the air lock problem was solved the truck ran very cool. I used a remote reading thermonter and diagnosed the over cooling.A second new thermostat from the dealer this time solved the over cooling problem. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
              X