Lifter lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Lifter lubrication

Working on my 289 project, I came across an oddball thing I can't seem to find an answer searching the threads. I bought the engine disassembled, and we, the machine shop and I, have been going through the components to see what is what.

in looking at the solid lifters, they have no hole in them. The shop manual says there is a hole for oil to pass, and both pictures and illustrations in the manual show a hole near the base of the lifter.

the lifters measure 2 inch tall, outside diameter of .905 and I.d of .705.

this is a 7e truck engine out of a '59 half/ton. I don!t think there's anything special about it.

has anybody seen this before or does it fall in the "don't worry about it" category?

thanks in advance.

john

The later lifters do not have a hole in them. If I remember correctly, only the early lifters and probably only the 232 engines had a hole in them. Bud

Comment

Bud is correct. There is no hole in the lifter. It is oiled by a hole n the lifter bore fed via the respective oil gallery.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Plus, there's plenty of "splash" oil within the valley chamber of a running engine to keep the pushrod lubed.
        Squirt some oil of your choice in each lifter for the initial start, you'll be fine.

Mike

Comment

Mike, bud, 64, thanks. I've never seen a lifter with an oil hole in it, but that doesn't mean somebody didn't do it. I have to be cautious with this one. I'm not the guy who took this engine apart. I am the guy putting it back together. It'll be a challenge. The shop manual will be my bible, but it's nice to know this forum is here for backup.

Comment

Correct there are no oil passage in the lifters themselves. Just the bore is lubricated. Being a solid pushrods, oil is passed threw the heads into the shafts for rocker lubrication. On my R2 the lifters I took out were a bit taller with a oil hole. The new ones were a bit shorter with no oil hole.
            1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
            Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

Working...
            X