PDA

View Full Version : 62 Champ Heater Core

salisburyclan
01-21-2008, 10:48 AM
New Member here.

I have a 1962 Studebaker Champ. I noticed coolant coming out of the heater core box so I decided to pull the heater core out to repair/replace. This seemed really simple since the heater core is in the engine compartment. I removed the hoses and removed all the bolts holding the heater core housing to the body of the truck. The housing is stuck and I think it is the gasket underneath. Am I trying to remove it correctly? Is the gasket glued on? How do I seperate without breaking something? I'm nervous about breaking the heater core housing. It looked easy enough :)

StudeRich
01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
If you have double checked to make sure you got all of the sheet metal screws on all 4 sides of the box to fender, then it should be safe to run a putty knife all around the box, staying closer to the metal inner fender than to the fiberglass box so you do not damage it. The box will remove and if you did not remove the screws the go though openings in the box flange and not the box, the heater core will still be bolted to the inner fender. You will need a new 1332334 gasket, available at most of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

salisburyclan
01-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Outstanding! I did end up breaking the box though. I didn't take the plate holding one of the hoses off of the box and as I disconnected the hose it broke through. Seems like I can fix it by putting a piece of aluminum behind it. Are those boxes easy to replace if I broke it beyond repair? I'm not really any kind of mechanic, but I am trying. :D

Thanks
Steve

StudeRich
01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Easy to replace? I guess you mean easy to find, NO they are not. These are no longer available at most vendors in new NOS condition, and not many survive on parts cars. It is the same however, as '59-'60 Larks. You could try some fiberglass cloth and boat resin to make a re-enforcement inside to "glass it" back together, but be careful not to make it too thick to fit the heater core.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA