fuel pump, replace or rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: fuel pump, replace or rebuild

HELLO TO ALL, just joined and my first post. Just purchased a 1962 Lark, the fuel pump seems shot, the metal fuel bowl is full of dried rust and there is no suction. The pump is a Carter MO-1530, any recommendations on a replacement ( where to get) or a rebuild kit. Thanks

Contact "Then and Now Automotive". They have kits for most all pumps and are compatible with today's excuse for gasoline. I think that their web site is: then-now-auto.com
    Kits come with simple to follow instructions.
    I had never rebuilt a fuel pump before and it took a couple hours to have the one for my 63 Daytona fixed and working. You may need a little more time to clean yours, but it's a great alternative to the junk, new pumps available.
    OH, welcome to the forum and the Studebaker sanctuary.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Before taking the fuel pump apart, mark the "clocking" so you get it back in the same orientation.

When you get the fuel pump apart, you should surface the flanges that clamp onto the diaphragm. I use a plate of glass as a flat surface. Put some fine "wet or dry" sand paper face up on the glass and move the fuel pump half in a figure 8 movement across the sand paper. Wetting it will help the process. After a few laps you should be able to see how much more lapping is needed.

Is your Lark a V-8 or a 6 cylinder?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

And, follow the instructions included with the Then & Now kit, especially the part about tightening the diaphragm screws with the diaphragm under tension.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Agree, rebuild. A rebuilt factory Carter pump is much better than the new repros.

Comment

Thanks to all for the guidance and suggestions. ON TO THE REBUILD!!!

Comment

There are 18 kits on the "Then-and-now" website listed for Studebaker. Does anyone have a list of what kit fits what pump, or have the numbers of the kit they ordered and what pump they used it on?

Some listed are not clear as to what they will work on. I'm looking for a kit that will fit the later Carter for V8 cars with the metal cover instead of the glass bowll, although I have one of those that needs a kit.

I'm guessing it would be the CK-151 or the CK-126.

Thanks,

Len
              Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Call them. When I wanted a kit for the Golden Hawk pump they wanted the number stamped on the flange of the pump which is in contact with the engine block.
                And they had the kit with the best set of instructions you can imagine.

Comment

Ditto:, give them a call and they will walk you through getting the correct part number kit. You won't be disappointed. Any problems understanding the instructions, give them another call. They are very friendly and helpful.
                  Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                  Call them. When I wanted a kit for the Golden Hawk pump they wanted the number stamped on the flange of the pump which is in contact with the engine block.
                  And they had the kit with the best set of instructions you can imagine.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

There was a thread several days ago about filters for the Carter pumps.
                    Was anything decided about not using a filter in the pump and using an external filter ?
                    Will the pump work without an internal filter ?
                    Are filters available for the Carter pumps ?
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                    X