Stude-A-Willys conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude-A-Willys conversion

A friend sent me a link he came across on a Willys jeep with a Stude 170 flathead in it.

Wonder what would happen if you crossed a Jeep CJ-2A and a Studebaker? What would Grandpa Bob do?

The Stude engines were always workhorses, and they help rust prevention on other makes too!
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

I've seen a few Jeeps with Stude V8 swaps..
    This one looks slick... Fit's right nice.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Years ago, I purchased a CJ-5 from the son of a SDC member. The son was a big Jeep enthusiast. At the time, he had a CJ-7 with the AMC 360 V8 connected to the Studebaker New Process 5 speed transmission. Quite a combination.

Back in the '60's, I saw several "Surplus" Jeeps that had Studebaker Flathead six's replacing the little four cyl. I think it was a popular thing, but some looked better (safer) converted than others. Most of the ones I saw, looked to have been worked over with a torch and welder than a set of wrenches and well thought out plan. I don't know how complicated the conversion was, 'cause back then, I was mostly interested in the classic fenderless "souped-up" hot rods of the day. Not those frumpy little surplus Jeeps I had seen farmers using to plow with.

Back then, I only thought I knew everything...Now, I have proof...I never did.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Actually John it was a pretty easy procedure. In my younger days (late 50's) there was a good market for used champion and Henry J engines to replace the 4 cylinder jeep original. I and a friend who could weld put a champion engine in my 1950 jeep pickup. The conversion required, as I remember, a three quarter inch spacer between the bell housing and tranny which we made from a piece of plate steel lifted from a local sawmills stock. There was some modification to the engine mounts required and we used the jeep radiator although it was a little short on fluid capacity for the champion. As I remember every other hook up was simple enough. The differential ratios in the jeep were pretty low so you had to be careful you didn't over rev the little 6 but other than that it worked well for the few years I had it.

Comment

I believe outfits like J.C. Whitney and the like actually sold conversion kits to put Studebaker power in Jeeps.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I thought more than once about stuffing a 289 in a Willys CJ2A.

Comment

Almost 40 years ago I helped my brother build the 304 in his '73 CJ-5. TRW pistons, Sig Erson cam, Mallory dual point distributor, Edelbrock 4 barrel, hi rise intake, competition clutch, Hooker headers, etc. Added a 4 speed out of a wrecked Mustang, it would fly off the line due to its light weight. He ended up rolling it and ended up selling it after he got married.

Comment

Working...
              X