'55 Champ Engine -- proper color, installing it in a '51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: '55 Champ Engine -- proper color, installing it in a '51

After throwing a rod through the engine block of my 1951 Champion engine, Vern Ediger found a good replacement -- a 1955 Champion engine with a longer stroke, which will mean a few more horses under the hood. I'm familiar with the "Studebaker Green" engine color, but did that change to Red in the mid-50's? See below photo. Other than using the '51 Champion engine mounts, are there any other changes you'd recommend when installing a '55 in a '51 ? I'm told it should "fit like a glove..."

My mechanic will do a comprehensive engine rebuild (and while he's at it, a clutch rebuild) before installing this 185 beauty in my '51 Champion Convertible.

Any thoughts / advice / warnings welcome -- including advice on what color to paint the rebuilt power plant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3874.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1755845

The engine color was army/olive green from the mid thirties through 1954. In my opinion, you should paint the engine the correct color for the 1951 CAR (army/olive green) and not the color the engine was painted in its original car. The engine was never red any way.

In 1955 the color was dark blue. In 56 and 57, the color was turquoise.

Many folks who rebuild engines paint them the wrong color, either from ignorance, or maybe they just don't care.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Some subsequent sleuthing on Google produced an article from the venerable Fred Fox, who noted that Champions DID have engines that were "Cherokee Red" in 1955. There are some differences between the two engines and I'm not sure that I want to "disguise" the 1955 as a 1951. I guess that's an aesthetic decision. At this point, I just want an engine that RUNS PROPERLY!

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        The engine color was army/olive green from the mid thirties through 1954. In my opinion, you should paint the engine the correct color for the 1951 CAR (army/olive green) and not the color the engine was painted in its original car. The engine was never red any way.

In 1955 the color was dark blue. In 56 and 57, the color was turquoise.

Many folks who rebuild engines paint them the wrong color, either from ignorance, or maybe they just don't care.
        I have read, and overheard comments, that some "leftover" supplies got shoved over to the truck division to use up. That might be what happened to the last of the army green paint.

I have a '55 Truck that I bought when it was only about twenty years old, low miles, and about as original as any that age you will ever see. I'm thinking the truck division must have used up the last of the army green paint, cause that was/is the color I have maintained all these years. Perhaps our "Truck Guru" Skip Lakie" might see this and comment.

I am not an engine color expert, but being that you are going to install the engine in your '51, I would say use the army green. It will maintain original appearance if that is important to you. Unless someone wants to crawl up under your hood with a flashlight and read the engine number...I don't think anyone, (including me) could stand a couple of feet away and tell if it is a 170ci Studebaker flathead six or a 185ci Studebaker flathead six. Buy the paint from one of our club vendors, paint it, and never look back.

I think a lot of these engines get painted other colors, because some folks happen to like the color they paint them...nothing more complicated than that.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Be sure you get the oil pan and rear engine plate. The ones from a '51 engine will not work.
          Reread that Fred Fox article. It states the engine is Alberta Blue with a Cherokee Red air filter and oil fill cap. Fred cited the 1955 dealer specifications book. Here is page 4 of that book.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	55champion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1716674
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            I have read, and overheard comments, that some "leftover" supplies got shoved over to the truck division to use up. That might be what happened to the last of the army green paint.

I have a '55 Truck that I bought when it was only about twenty years old, low miles, and about as original as any that age you will ever see. I'm thinking the truck division must have used up the last of the army green paint, cause that was/is the color I have maintained all these years. Perhaps our "Truck Guru" Skip Lakie" might see this and comment.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have very little of value to add. With the exception of Duesenberg, I don't think any car manufacturer cared much about the color of their engines. Cadillac used the same Army green on their flathead V8s through 1948.
            That began to change thereafter, and Chevy finally ended that culture with bright orange on their V8s in 1955.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Some P.O. painted the engine of my 51 Landcruiser silver for some stupid reason, I'm in the process of correcting that.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have very little of value to add. With the exception of Duesenberg, I don't think any car manufacturer cared much about the color of their engines. Cadillac used the same Army green on their flathead V8s through 1948.
                That began to change thereafter, and Chevy finally ended that culture with bright orange on their V8s in 1955.
                Some of you call the color "Army green". I refer to it as 30 weight oil green. The purpose of the color was to hide oil leaks. Oil of that time was that shade of green.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                  Some P.O. painted the engine of my 51 Landcruiser silver for some stupid reason, I'm in the process of correcting that.
                  Have you checked the Engine Serial Number to see if it matches up to our 1951 V8 Engine Number list by Year Model?
                  It will be at the BACK of the block near the Distributor IF it is a '51-'52 otherwise at the Left Front Top Corner.
                  Aluminum Silver Engines were used in 1958 thru. 1961, so a 259 or 289 Engine Transplant is possible!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I found green under the silver on the valley cover. It was a hastily done poor spray job covering the linkage at the back of the engine too.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Some of you call the color "Army green". I refer to it as 30 weight oil green. The purpose of the color was to hide oil leaks. Oil of that time was that shade of green.
                      It also was very close to Bell Telephone green, which hid dirt pretty well (although Ma Bell usually kept her trucks clean).
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X