PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Stude OD trans fit Ford?

StarDiero75
10-03-2017, 01:31 AM
Howdy everyone,

So I got a 65 Ranchero with the 3 on the tree and a Ford 200 in it. It's my daily and I do a decent amount of highway miles but I don't have overdrive. I have a 61 Lark OHV 6 with a 3speed OD and I was wondering if that trans would bolt right up to the Ranchero's 200? It'd be nice to keep the shifter on the column for stock look and have the nice drive ability of the OD. I'm thinking of buying one of these on Craigslist in my area if this should work.

Thanks guys!
Ryan

StudeRich
10-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Not going to happen, the input Shaft and the Gears it meshes with are Studebaker only.

bensherb
10-03-2017, 02:34 AM
I think he's talking about using the entire Stude 3 spd OD trans. I'm sure it could be adapted if it doesn't just bolt up, but so could a bunch of newer 5 speeds that you can get parts for, and don't need the electro-mechanical OD unit.

gordr
10-03-2017, 02:02 PM
The T86 overdrive transmission would be a better choice. Definitely stronger, and the case bolt pattern should match the Ford bellhousing (at least it matches some of them). You might have to shorten the inut shaft, and use a Chevy clutch disc. Also, there might be compatiblity issues with the throwout bearing.

Ford made a 4-speed with 4 th being overdrive; it went inot pickups and vans, IIRC. And some of the Falcon Econoline vans had a column-shift 4-speed, so there's your shifter...

bensherb
10-03-2017, 02:54 PM
:lol: Strength is not a consideration. On a good day that Ford 200 will make 120HP in stock trim. I've got one here, that's anything but stock, that would pull the front wheels of the Mustang it was in off the ground but it would rip right through the stock 4 spd, even a stock C4 didn't last long.

Keep in mind, the Stude 3 spd OD is quite long so you'll have to get "creative" to mount it in the Ford and you'll need a short drive shaft.

PackardV8
10-03-2017, 02:57 PM
The T86 overdrive transmission would be a better choice. Definitely stronger, and the case bolt pattern should match the Ford bellhousing (at least it matches some of them). You might have to shorten the inut shaft, and use a Chevy clutch disc. Also, there might be compatiblity issues with the throwout bearing.

Ford made a 4-speed with 4 th being overdrive; it went inot pickups and vans, IIRC. And some of the Falcon Econoline vans had a column-shift 4-speed, so there's your shifter...

Agree with Gord. Stay with Ford. Something to determine is which bolt pattern your six has. Ford changed in mid-'65. The earlier had the same as most '57-'66 Studes used. The later versions had a wider bolt pattern. Some of the later Ford trannys had dual bolt patterns; some had only the later pattern. The input bearing retainer also changed diameter at the same time. There are also big block and small block trannys; counterintuitively, the big block has a shorter input shaft.

jack vines

Flat Ernie
10-03-2017, 04:36 PM
There are quite a few folks putting T5 in the Falcon/Ranchero behind the 200 and getting really good MPG with it...I looked into this when I was looking for a new daily driver a few years back focusing on MPG.

StarDiero75
10-03-2017, 05:19 PM
I'm looking into the t5 actually. Modern Driveline has an entire kit set up for the 65 Falcon L6. I was just wondering if it'd be possible since I can get the stude trans for less than $200 and the t5 setup is almost $3000.

StarDiero75
10-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Dude that's sick with your 200. I got another 200 On a stand and I'm thinking of hopping it up. What would you think would be better, 3x1 Holley 1904's or dual weber 32/36's? I'll probably get a 250 head but I'd like to get one of those crossflow Australian ones with the removeable intake.

StarDiero75
10-03-2017, 05:26 PM
The prob with any floor trans setup for anything other than a falcon goes right through the bench. A stock mustang 3spd floor shift goes into the bench.
I didn't realize they made a 4 speed column, but then I'd have to re engineer my steering column to work it.
I'm looking into a t5 from Modern Driveline actually that is almost bolt up to it. I get to keep my bell housing and all, only prob is for the whole falcon t5 kit it's almost $3000

PackardV8
10-03-2017, 05:37 PM
I'm looking into a t5 from Modern Driveline actually that is almost bolt up to it. I get to keep my bell housing and all, only prob is for the whole falcon t5 kit it's almost $3000That's a lot for convenience. There's nothing in that kit you couldn't find and fab yourself if you make the effort.

Getting way OT, as is standard operating procedure here:

Dude that's sick with your 200. I got another 200 On a stand and I'm thinking of hopping it up. What would you think would be better, 3x1 Holley 1904's or dual weber 32/36's? I'll probably get a 250 head but I'd like to get one of those crossflow Australian ones with the removeable intake.

Try to find an old Hot Rod Engine Annual, somewhere around #4 or #5. There was a comprehensive article by Ak Miller showing how to hop up the little six and how to make side-draft adapters. IIRC, the SUs off Brit cars were the most cost-effective horsepower.

Go to fordsix.com

also good info here https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/144-170-200-small-six-ford-falcon-and-engine-guys-have-i-gone-crazy.306452/

jack vines

StarDiero75
10-03-2017, 07:34 PM
That's a lot for convenience. There's nothing in that kit you couldn't find and fab yourself if you make the effort.

Getting way OT, as is standard operating procedure here:

Try to find an old Hot Rod Engine Annual, somewhere around #4 or #5. There was a comprehensive article by Ak Miller showing how to hop up the little six and how to make side-draft adapters. IIRC, the SUs off Brit cars were the most cost-effective horsepower.

Go to fordsix.com

also good info here https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/144-170-200-small-six-ford-falcon-and-engine-guys-have-i-gone-crazy.306452/

jack vines

Neat, will do man. I've seen those side draft webers on the 6 and they look mean, but expensive as heck. Haha.

doofus
10-04-2017, 06:46 AM
That was the 240 in. six that Ak Miller built up, used chev. pistons. Luck Doofus

bensherb
10-05-2017, 02:07 AM

Yea, the australians have all the good stuff for that engine. If you can get a cross flow head go for it, get me one too.:D The weber 32/36 didn't exist when I built mine. Three weber side drafts would be great on a cross flow. I had 3 autolite 1100's for a while, but changed to the Holley's, very simple to fit, but keep in mind those carbs come in several venturi sizes. I'm using a milled 170 head which has a smaller chamber to begin with so the compression is pretty high. It has a Clifford Research cam, don't remember the specs, but it will not run on one carb or with the three working progessive it needs all three. Needless to say, fuel economy was never a consideration; it's not good.

I like the SU carbs but never considered trying them on the Ford. I have used them on some 2 and 4 cylinder motorcycles and a VW flat 4 though.

That was the 240 in. six that Ak Miller built up, used chev. pistons. Luck Doofus True, the 240/300 is an entirely different animal than the 144/170/200/250.

Mrs K Corbin
10-05-2017, 06:26 AM
why not just change the rear gear ratio?

PackardV8
10-05-2017, 10:17 AM
why not just change the rear gear ratio?

A 200" six is not a high torque engine. It needs a bit of gear to help get off the line and up the hills. A five speed would be ideal.

jack vines

dynolou2
10-05-2017, 08:15 PM
You could use the head off the 250 as it will get you an unboltable intake and exhaust, much easier to adapt to multiple carbs than all the machining needed to use the 170/200 head. Lou Cote

PackardV8
10-06-2017, 11:24 AM
You could use the head off the 250 And so it goes down the slippery slope; use the whole 250" engine or just step up to a 5.0 and be done with it.

jack vines

Skybolt
10-06-2017, 02:02 PM
I know this is a long shot but if you can find the 3 speed with overdrive from a 1975-1976 Hornet, Gremlin or Pacers I think it was, it should bolt right up. It actually was the Ford 3 speed Toploader used in Mustangs and other Ford's but has a Laycock de Normanville Overdrive OD. You could still use your column shift. It is not the same as the later 4 speed Toploader with overdrive.

Len

bensherb
10-09-2017, 02:57 AM
You could use the head off the 250 as it will get you an unboltable intake and exhaust, much easier to adapt to multiple carbs than all the machining needed to use the 170/200 head. Lou Cote

The 250 still has a cast in intake manifold, at least for domestic production. The 240 has a seperate manifold, but it would fit the 200 like a 426 hemi head on a Pinto, much too wide and far too long.

I've run rear end ratios of 2.69, 3.00, 3.55, and 4.11 behind both stock and modified 200 inch Ford sixes with both a 4 speed and a C4.
They all work fine. The 2.69 is no rocket off the line ,but a nice cruise on the highway. The 4.11 is useless on the highway.