PDA

View Full Version : Steering 65 Cruiser power steering hoses

kruznstude1
10-01-2017, 10:50 AM
I need to change the power steering hoses on my 65 Cruiser (283ci).I got some tips from Guru Bob Palma, but I was also wondering if anyone here has ever done this job and may have an easier way to get to the 3 hoses on top of the control valve. I can't get a pitman arm puller on because of clearance issues. Can the control valve be removed from the ball stud on the pitman arm? Does anyone have a hack to make this job easier short of pulling the engine?? I've tried everything I could think of, but to no avail, and I don't want to break anything.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

41 Frank
10-01-2017, 01:10 PM
I have replaced all the power steering hoses on a Lark and a Hawk and never pulled the pitman arm to do it,did it on the car. Just used a couple of fitting wrenches. Not a piece of cake but with some determination it can be done.

kruznstude1
10-01-2017, 03:32 PM
I have replaced all the power steering hoses on a Lark and a Hawk and never pulled the pitman arm to do it,did it on the car. Just used a couple of fitting wrenches. Not a piece of cake but with some determination it can be done.
I have small hands and forearms, and I can't get to them...I even tried crow's foot wrenches from above with a wobble extension...no luck...Want to fly out and do my fix? LOL

41 Frank
10-03-2017, 07:36 AM
I remember having to turn the steering all the way one direction or the other to help access. Nice try on the "fly out" LOL. Working from the bottom line to the top in sequence helps also. I recall that it took me a couple of hours to R&R the hoses.

dynolou2
10-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Were those crows foot line wrenches? There is a big difference between ordinary and line type crows foot. Take a picture of how the lines are arranged at the control valve and how how they are routed to the ram. Only remove one line at a time. Lou Cote

kruznstude1
10-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Were those crows foot line wrenches? There is a big difference between ordinary and line type crows foot. Take a picture of how the lines are arranged at the control valve and how how they are routed to the ram. Only remove one line at a time. Lou Cote

They were the crow's foot line wrenches...I also have a set of regular crow's foot. Neither worked, and I ended up taking it to a mechanic...took hi 4 hours, but he completed the job, and the price was very reasonable. Not having a lift, it's tough to crawl around on the ground to do the task. Thank you all for your help Tarkus is back on the road enjoying the foliage in northern NH!!

StudeDave57
10-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Aren't 283 powered Studes FUN!?!?!?!?!?

When my '65 Cruiser gets her next overhaul (she's just about due with 295K on the clock) I intend to R E M O V E her power steering. She's been leaking for just about as long as I've had her- that's about 26 years for those keeping track at home-- and no amount of 'fix' seems to help..... :(