PDA

View Full Version : Turning Wheels 'Digital Library' Questions

r1lark
10-01-2017, 04:30 AM
For those of you have purchased the new Turning Wheels 'Digital Library' USB flash drive.................

Is every page of every issue, including the covers, scanned? (for example, are the cars/parts ads in the back of the issues scanned also?)

Does the resolution allow zooming in on details in pictures, etc?

Does the format allow you to quickly get to the issue and page you are looking for?

55s
10-01-2017, 04:48 AM
I haven't spent a lot of time on it - less than 15 minutes, but it the answers to your questions appear to be Yes. Yes. Yes. Amazing product. I think it said one cover was missing.

I really appreciate the time and effort that went into this project. (even though I believe I have a copy of every Turning Wheels issue)

Dads Baby
10-01-2017, 10:52 PM
I wonder if there will be updates and how much they will cost. Hopefully there will be an update once a year. My wife would love it I had all my Turning Wheels on my computer instead of all over the house! I will donate my TW if I had them on the computer! Nice option!

55 56 PREZ 4D
10-02-2017, 12:43 AM
How about some info on this.
Where to purchase, cost ?

ndynis
10-02-2017, 08:34 AM
The SDC website says you can order on line 67509them in the "members" tab of the webpage but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to do that when I go to the members page.

56sghor
10-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Bill Hahn brought this thread to my attention. Bob Shaw and Mark Wheeler of Cornerstone are handling the sale of the TW Digital Archive, but I can tell you some things from my personal experience. I've written to Bob, hopefully he and/or Mark can provide more complete information.

Content: I scanned every page of every issue and created a .PDF file for each one. To the best of my knowledge, there are no missing pages or covers. If you know of a missing page or issue, I'd like to know about it. Acrobat Reader allows you to set page magnification from 10% to 6400%, yes that is two zeroes. Except for the very early ones, each issue has its own index, and Acrobat lets you pick the page you want to jump to. Jan Young's Index is included to help you find what you are looking for. The Digital Library is available to SDC members for $99 (US & Canada) or $109 overseas). That is about 19 cents an issue and it includes shipping!

Updates: I mentioned updates to Bob Shaw and Mark Wheeler. As far as I know, this will happen, and they are working something out.

Purchase: To purchase through the web site, you have to log into the members area. I believe the member log in will be a different ID and Password than what you use for this Forum. Once you are in, your member page will be displayed. Hover over (or click on) Store and click on Purchase Items from the drop down menu. The digital library information is in the fourth section down. Follow the instructions and you will be all set. You can also order from Cornerstone Registration – 763-420-7829

The Poop!: See Bob Shaw's story on page 15 of the September Turning Wheels and Tom Curtis' President's Message on page 3 of the October TW.

Frank

BShaw
10-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Frank pretty much said it all.

We are planning to offer yearly digital download updates at a reasonable cost. The exact cost and yearly release date is yet to be determined. There will be a delay in the availability of the annual update... for example the 2017 issues might be available around June, 2018. The reasoning for that is that this digital library is not a "digital subscription" and is not intended to replace one's SDC membership and its accompanying Turning Wheels magazine subscription. Sometime in the first half of next year the details will be decided and communicated then. I will also add that new complete library purchases after June 2018 (for example) would automatically include the 2017 issues (and so on).

As Frank has noted, the TW Library can be purchased by calling Cornerstone during its regular business hours or order online by...

Go to the SDC home page and click on the "member area" link.
Login to the member area (create your online account if you have not already)
When logged in, click on the "Store" link then,
Click on the "Purchase Items" and you will see the library listed there.

The club and all its members owe Frank a big "Thanks" for his incredible work in scanning all those past issues before TW went to digital publishing. We also thank the good members who provided Frank with some of the hard to find issues to scan.

r1lark
10-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Thanks Bob and Frank, that answers my questions!! Appreciate it very much. I'm going to order one.

tsenecal
10-02-2017, 08:46 PM
I plan to order one for my present from "Santa" this year. Definitely thank you to Frank. I can't imagine what a chore it would have been to scan that many pages. I had bought a few issues from previous years on ebay, but it will be nice to reference all of them.

Skip Lackie
10-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Not wishing to pee in the soup, but . . . .
Does this violate the copyrights of some of the material contained in those issues?

studegary
10-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Not wishing to pee in the soup, but . . . .
Does this violate the copyrights of some of the material contained in those issues?

I've wondered about the same thing, Skip. Back when we tried to copy the material and asked for permission, we were not able to obtain the requested permission on all copyrighted material. I wonder if this project just went ahead without permission, both from SDC member items and outside items, and may be followed up by lawsuits.

ndynis
10-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Thanks to Bob & Frank. I just ordered on line following your directions. Pretty simple once you know how. Thanks again for the help!
Nick

BShaw
10-04-2017, 07:55 AM
I've wondered about the same thing, Skip. Back when we tried to copy the material and asked for permission, we were not able to obtain the requested permission on all copyrighted material. I wonder if this project just went ahead without permission, both from SDC member items and outside items, and may be followed up by lawsuits.

I have tried my best to dot the i’s and cross the t’s on this project and believe we are on solid ground on copyrights. If you want any specific details PM me.

Avantidon
10-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Gary and Skip,

As Bob stated, we did our due diligence as a Board prior to releasing thee digitized version of the magazine that we the SDC owns. What has been done here is the same thing as printing Turning Wheels in an electronic format and sending it to members who wish to receive it in that format. If you read the the copyright statement that is included on the flash drive, it clearly says that these cannot be reproduced, copied or sold for profit without SDC Board approval and that approval will not be granted. This is a member only product. If you have questions you can call me or email me outside of the forum and I'll be more than happy to discuss this further with you.

studegary
10-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Gary and Skip,

As Bob stated, we did our due diligence as a Board prior to releasing thee digitized version of the magazine that we the SDC owns. What has been done here is the same thing as printing Turning Wheels in an electronic format and sending it to members who wish to receive it in that format. If you read the the copyright statement that is included on the flash drive, it clearly says that these cannot be reproduced, copied or sold for profit without SDC Board approval and that approval will not be granted. This is a member only product. If you have questions you can call me or email me outside of the forum and I'll be more than happy to discuss this further with you.

Bob and Don -
On second thought, I understand the distinction between what was previously proposed and what is now done. The major difference is the limitation to SDC members.