PDA

View Full Version : Packard Hawk Front Clip Needed

SilverHawkDan
09-30-2017, 11:26 PM
Due to the changes from our new Project Manager we find ourselves in need of a Packard Hawk front clip. We need from the front bumper to the firewall. Condition is not an issue as long as all the parts are there. We have a fiberglass guy on our team who could fix one that got cracked or? Please feel free to PM me if you have or know of a clip we might purchase.
Dan

candbstudebakers
10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Dan no front clip but do have a set of hens teeth. ( if you get my drift) good luck.....Bob

SilverHawkDan
10-01-2017, 11:07 AM
I know it is a long shot but you have to try. I have a guy who can fab one if he had a model to work from. So that might be the way to go. I will be in your neck of the woods at the end of the month and will try to fit in a visit.
Dan

PackardV8
10-01-2017, 11:51 AM
IIRC, the complete front clip isn't required for a race car build. Any C/K front fenders could be used, possibly with modification. The fiberglass hood and front fascia would be the challenge; bumpers could be easily fabbed.

jack vines

studegary
10-01-2017, 06:43 PM
I remember NOS hoods, at least the outer, in South Bend. Likely, SI has them now. Not something that they would put in a catalog. Give SI a call.

EDIT: Matthew, now at Stephen Allen's, parted out a Packard Hawk in the recent past. Give him a call.

SilverHawkDan
10-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Thank you for all the leads and information. I will follow up and see what can be found. I was told that the deck lids were also PK only units. Is that true?
Dan

mbstude
10-01-2017, 08:59 PM
I remember NOS hoods, at least the outer, in South Bend. Likely, SI has them now. Not something that they would put in a catalog. Give SI a call.

EDIT: Matthew, now at Stephen Allen's, parted out a Packard Hawk in the recent past. Give him a call.

Someone bought the whole car and is coming down next week to remove whatever he wants. Not sure there will be anything left but scrap.

studegary
10-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Thank you for all the leads and information. I will follow up and see what can be found. I was told that the deck lids were also PK only units. Is that true?
Dan

Technically yes, but in reality - NO. The outer skin is the same as a 1953-1955 C/K lid, except for the bolt on phony spare (continental kit). The inner web is different than a 1953, for example, but only a VERY few people would know the difference. In other words, use any '53-'55 C/K trunk lid.

go-studebaker
10-02-2017, 01:54 AM
Dan
I have a complete front bumper set for a PH with the correct irons.

But it I am in the UK and shipping will be brutal. I.e. In the GBP 350.00 mark

currently I am in Nuremberg returning to England at a leisurely pace on a studebaker adventure

But like Bob Peterson mentioned PH stuff is rather thin on the ground.

Regards
Greg

packardHawk58
10-02-2017, 03:48 AM
Dan, I have five hoods, five noses, three grills, bumpers etc .
I am in Oz and can ship parts back to Indianapolis through a buddy who lives there but obviously you might find something closer to home.
The front fenders are C & K front fenders but are slightly modified on the lower front to accommodate the wrap around fibreglass bumper.
since you are building a race car I suppose you don't have to be too original in that area.

stude dude
10-02-2017, 05:42 AM
Hey Brian, how are you going with the Champ & Hawk grilles? We have customers waiting.

Chris.

packardHawk58
10-02-2017, 06:30 AM
Hey Chris, they have been sitting at my workshop for three weeks now waiting for you to organise pickup!

SilverHawkDan
10-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Greg,

I am working on a deal here in the states but not sure how it will work out so I will keep you two in mind as we search out the parts. Thank you for the reply. The class rules call for the car to be original in size and shape and having all body panels in the original place. So in essence the car has to appear to be as it came off the showroom with only a few changes for safety allowed. So using parts that are original is easier than trying to fake it.
Dan

RadioRoy
10-02-2017, 01:46 PM
One thing is for sure, there will be no other car exactly like it on the track. :)

58L-J8 Guy
10-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Dan, I sent you a PM.
Due to the changes from our new Project Manager we find ourselves in need of a Packard Hawk front clip. We need from the front bumper to the firewall. Condition is not an issue as long as all the parts are there. We have a fiberglass guy on our team who could fix one that got cracked or? Please feel free to PM me if you have or know of a clip we might purchase.
Dan

sals54
10-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Dan, I have five hoods, five noses, three grills, bumpers etc .
I am in Oz and can ship parts back to Indianapolis through a buddy who lives there but obviously you might find something closer to home.
The front fenders are C & K front fenders but are slightly modified on the lower front to accommodate the wrap around fibreglass bumper.
since you are building a race car I suppose you don't have to be too original in that area.

Hey Brian, I am in need of a Packard Hawk Hood. I will PM you with a request for price and shipping.

stude dude
10-04-2017, 07:56 PM
Hey Chris, they have been sitting at my workshop for three weeks now waiting for you to organise pickup!

All news to me buddy......

SilverHawkDan
10-04-2017, 08:55 PM
OK I am getting quotes from several sources and learning a lot about Packard Hawks. So it looks like the parts will be purchased and so now we can concentrate on the build digest and securing all the important engine and other parts. I am so impressed with all of you Stude guys and I was so surprised to get such quick responses. Once again confirming why I love building and driving Studebakers. It about more than the cars its about the people.
Dan

packardHawk58
10-05-2017, 02:46 AM
All news to me buddy......
That's weird cause they were picked up yesterday before you did this posting.
Maybe your boss (Matt) must have organised it.

bezhawk
10-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Fantastic news. I always thought a Packard Hawk front make the car much slipperier than any Hawk. Only the 53-55 might be better. If you push the bumper further out, it will act as a wind splitter, and help get the air flow over and under the car smoother. If it is allowed, block off the lower area to keep air from under the car, or drag by the lower scoop.

rkapteyn
10-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Dan
We corresponded on this last week.
If you have everything you need , I will quit looking or it.
Like I told you , I have two PH for sale and a large hoard of N.O.S. parts.
I am old and slow and it looks like you want to move fast.
Thanks for your inquire.
Robert Kapteyn
studebaker@mac.com

studegary
10-05-2017, 08:25 PM
Fantastic news. I always thought a Packard Hawk front make the car much slipperier than any Hawk. Only the 53-55 might be better. If you push the bumper further out, it will act as a wind splitter, and help get the air flow over and under the car smoother. If it is allowed, block off the lower area to keep air from under the car, or drag by the lower scoop.

The Packard Hawk front bumper makes such a good wind splitter that it limits air from going through the radiator. It reminds me of a trip to South Bend with a friend's Packard Hawk pulling a closed trailer loaded with parts. The Packard Hawk kept overheating. We finally stopped and took the front bumper off and put it in the trailer. The Packard Hawk didn't overheat after that. It did use a lot of gasoline (less than 10 mpg).

stude dude
10-05-2017, 10:12 PM
I booked them as soon as I knew they were ready to be picked up. They did not have to sit there for 3 weeks............

SilverHawkDan
10-06-2017, 12:41 AM
Robert I am waiting on a price quote from you. I might have missed it so please resend it. It looks like things might have to come from several sources. Still waiting for pictures and quotes. I will keep my eye out for your reply Robert.
Dan

bezhawk
10-06-2017, 07:41 AM
The Packard Hawk front bumper makes such a good wind splitter that it limits air from going through the radiator. It reminds me of a trip to South Bend with a friend's Packard Hawk pulling a closed trailer loaded with parts. The Packard Hawk kept overheating. We finally stopped and took the front bumper off and put it in the trailer. The Packard Hawk didn't overheat after that. It did use a lot of gasoline (less than 10 mpg).Our Packard Hawk on one trip made 28 MPG, but there was a 40 mph tail wind the whole time. Ours never overheated. The later improvements worked well. The baffles on the front of the radiator were in place, and it had the cooling holes in the nose panel too.

rkapteyn
10-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Dan
Give me your email address.
Can not find anything on my email.
I am waiting on someone to help me locating the items we discussed.
As I told you I am old and slow and can not ship anything.
If you find a volunteer to help me to get these parts to you, it will speed things up.
Robert Kapteyn
studebaker@mac.com

studegary
10-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Our Packard Hawk on one trip made 28 MPG, but there was a 40 mph tail wind the whole time. Ours never overheated. The later improvements worked well. The baffles on the front of the radiator were in place, and it had the cooling holes in the nose panel too.

I think that the big difference was the large box trailer loaded with parts that the Packard Hawk was pulling. It didn't have either problem on its own.

SilverHawkDan
10-06-2017, 11:03 PM
Bob, it is dsallia@yahoo.com
I am still working on getting help to haul out and load whatever I might purchase from you. So shoot me some prices and a phone number to call and lets talk.
Dan

rkapteyn
10-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Dan
I emailed you the prices.
Let me know if you found someone to help me with this.
Bob

rkapteyn
10-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Dan
Are you in the fire area?
I did not get replies on my PH fenders and hood.
Robert Kapteyn

rkapteyn
10-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Someone saw my reply and bought the fenders and picked them up this morning.
Still have the hood for sale for a Packard Hawk.
Robert Kapteyn

SilverHawkDan
10-15-2017, 12:34 AM
Robert please check your private messages.

SilverHawkDan
10-15-2017, 12:42 AM
Robert your mail box is full. Please clear some old mails out so you can get my maiul. I will see if I can find your email and replay that way too.
Dan

DEEPNHOCK
10-15-2017, 05:37 AM
Robert your mail box is full. Please clear some old mails out so you can get my maiul. I will see if I can find your email and replay that way too.
Dan

Joliet Studebaker has been an advertised Studebaker vendor for decades.

Joliet Studebaker is a full time parts supplier for parts back to 1934.
We have some older parts and we run a parts locating service.
We have a 38.000 sq ft. building full of parts from 23 former Studebaker
dealers

We stock all new rubber for your car such as vent window rubbers,windshield
rubber trunk gaskets etc.

We would be pleased to work with you.
R.Kapteyn , Joliet Studebaker Service. 112 Bissel Street Joliet IL.
60432-3002.
815 722 7262

Thanks for your inquire. Bob K.

Robert Kapteyn, Sr.
Joliet Studebaker Service
108 Bissel St.
Joliet, Illinois 60432
voice (815)722-7262)
fax: (815)722-7262
email: rkapteyn@mac.com
studebaker@mac.com

rkapteyn