No announcement yet.

Brake Pedal Return Spring Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake Pedal Return Spring Location?

First off let me begin by saying today was the first time since 1985 that my Commander has moved under it's own power!

Bled the brakes and got them all adjusted so the car not only goes but stops too. While checking over the work I realized I didn't have the brake pedal return spring on. The service manual and the chassis manual do not show a detailed enough picture of how the spring goes. The picture shows a brake pedal that doesn't look quite like mine either. It's a 1953 Commander Hardtop with auto trans. I was hoping someone might have a good picture of where the spring goes and how it mounts.

Thanks,
    Rich

OK on a 1953 Commander with Studebaker Automatic Drive. It would have the Large 2 Post Brake Pedal, they probably show a Manual Trans Car in the Shop Manual.

In the '51-'54 Chassis Parts Catalog about Page 210, Group 1108, Plate 11-7 shows the Clip 1108-6 on the M/C Push Rod that the 1108-5 (530867) Return Spring connects to, on Automatic Trans. Cars.

The Forward end, without looking at one of my '54's that is not easily seen right now (in the Rain), all I can say is if you look at the floorboard under the Car just forward of the M/C 6 1/8 Inches I am sure you will see the Clip or hole in the Frame it attaches to.

UPDATE: Brake System, Pg. 2 of the '53 Shop Manual under: Master Cylinder Removal, it says to remove the pullback spring (forward end) from it's FRAME CLIP. So there you go, its a Clip on the Frame!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-30-2017, 10:03 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,

I can always count on you for help . What was throwing me off a little too was that clip didn't have a hole large enough to slide on the master cylinder push rod, I'm guessing someone else "re- engineered" that in the past. I did ream out the hole to fit and installed it on the push rod but just didn't see where the other end went. Now with the info you provided I will look for the frame clip.

Comment

OK so I have the correct spring and correct clip but I just cant figure out how it routes to the front. It seems like the pedal pivot is directly in the way and the spring would have to ride over the top.

Comment

The rear of the return spring attaches to a small "tab" that is attached to the pedal under the floor. the front of the spring is inserted in a hole in the frame. If you need a picture, let me know and I'll take one tomorrow.
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
            The rear of the return spring attaches to a small "tab" that is attached to the pedal under the floor. the front of the spring is inserted in a hole in the frame. If you need a picture, let me know and I'll take one tomorrow.
            Yes a picture would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
            Rich

Comment

Here you go, Rich (and anyone else this helps)
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1716657Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1716658Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1539.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1716659
              Attached Files
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

brngarage that is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!

Rich

Comment

Glad to help, Rich.

Comment

Working...
                  X