PDA

View Full Version : Body: Sedan rockers converted to Hawk?

gcunard
09-29-2017, 09:57 AM
As part of my barn clean out of NOS parts bought 40 years ago from Newman Altman, but never used, ran across a unique set of rockers They are marked with marker pen as 302910 & 911 early Hawk rockers. A knowledgeable SDC member commented that they appear to be sedan rockers that have the B pillar area welded in and the drain vents are not "Coupe".

The original PN sticker is there but has been eradicated.

These look factory done based on quality of work and primer. Does anybody know if Newman Altman would have done this? Or the Service department of Studebaker reusing excess sedan material to cover Hawk shortage? Again, the quality, especially for the vintage, suggests some effort was spent on engineering and tooling.

Anybody seen these before? Do they work well? Did Studebaker do other conversions like this? Any insight welcomed.

RadioRoy
09-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Wouldn't a sedan rocker be shorter than a Hawk rocker?

JoeHall
09-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Lester Schimdt taught me that trick over 30 years ago and, yes, they work well. I would not be surprised if it were not also practiced by vendors of that era, when Hawk rockers were drying up, and repros were not yet available.