Battery location on a 55K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery location on a 55K

Since I bought the Speedster I have noted that some 55s have the battery back at the firewall and others, like mine have it located further out on the inner fender. Why the difference?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Don,

Please explain which 55's you have seen with battery on the firewall. I can't remember having seen a 55 with the battery so mounted.

Comment

They (batteries) should all be located on the drivers side inner fender perpendicular to the firewall a few inches away. There is a flat spot for the battery box/ bottom. The location was not different for Speedsters - I have 2.

Comment

Hallabut, not on the firewall but as described by 55s above. However, since I have been paying attention, I have seen others where the battery is several inches farther forward. I will measure later today and see how far. Maybe it is only a matter of perspective in the photos I have seen.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Here is the location of the battery on my '55 President State Sedan.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1716609
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1716610Here is the location on my '54 K. It looks like it is closer to the firewall than the sedan.
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Posts number 5 and number 6 demonstrate the difference in the location between C/K and all others. By the way, be aware that the battery box itself is different between 6 volt and 12 volt cars.
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Cars that have been converted to 12 Volt, have an added extension to the 6V Box, a 12 Volt Box or a Tiny "Foreign Car" 12V Battery not a Group 24.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X