PDA

View Full Version : Late model Avanti vs Monte Carlo

jnfweber
09-28-2017, 06:31 PM
As I was sitting in a restaurant having my afternoon diet cola, I saw this pretty Monte Carlo across the street and took this photo with my smart phone. I do have a '64 R1 Avanti and sold a '63 R2 Avanti 2 years ago which proved to be a pain in the posterior since it always carbon-fouled spark plugs here at 5280 feet altitude in spite of my best efforts and the advice of Jon Myer, who sent me several different jets and carb kits. I have had no problems with the R1, which has 101 K miles on the original engine, while the R2 had 99 K miles on its original engine.

And I got to thinking, why pay a premium price for a post-1989 Avanti when I could have bought a much better-looking (my opinion) Monte Carlo for much less, similarly equipped? Of course, the later pre-1989 Avanti's were based on the pre-1990 Monte Carlo's, which were more square-looking and not as pretty as the post 1990 Monte Carlo's, which could have taken some of their styling cues from the earlier Avanti's. No car is perfect, and the Monte Carlo's had their problems, but not in the drive train equipped with the 3.6 liter V-6 or the 350 cc V-8. Just my opinion.

I still drive my R-1 and it is a pretty good car, but does not handle as well as the later Monte Carlo's. And one can still pick up a pretty good later Monte Carlo for less than almost any Avanti. Admittedly, the rear windows of the Monte Carlo do not open, and it has no vent windows, but I'll bet te air conditioning is a lot better <g> And I have ben an Avanti owner for over 30 years. Just my opinion.

bezhawk
09-28-2017, 08:05 PM
That series of Monte Carlo is in my opinion the worst looking of the bunch. Especially the rear bumper. The first series from 70-72 are much nicer. plus they're rear wheel drive, and you can get a big block 454.

Silverplate
09-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Had a 2002 and a 2003 Monte Carlo and loved them both. Neither compared to my 85 Monte Carlo SS and cannot even remotely be compared to an Avanti.

jclary
09-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Yeah but...An AVANTI is an AVANTI:!:...

A Monte Carlo...well...just another chevy:QQ:

studegary
09-28-2017, 10:47 PM
As I was sitting in a restaurant having my afternoon diet cola, I saw this pretty Monte Carlo across the street and took this photo with my smart phone. ...
And I got to thinking, why pay a premium price for a post-1989 Avanti when I could have bought a much better-looking (my opinion) Monte Carlo for much less, similarly equipped? Of course, the later pre-1989 Avanti's were based on the pre-1990 Monte Carlo's, which were more square-looking and not as pretty as the post 1990 Monte Carlo's, which could have taken some of their styling cues from the earlier Avanti's. No car is perfect, and the Monte Carlo's had their problems, but not in the drive train equipped with the 3.6 liter V-6 or the 350 cc V-8. Just my opinion.

I still drive my R-1 and it is a pretty good car, but does not handle as well as the later Monte Carlo's. And one can still pick up a pretty good later Monte Carlo for less than almost any Avanti. Admittedly, the rear windows of the Monte Carlo do not open, and it has no vent windows, but I'll bet te air conditioning is a lot better <g> And I have ben an Avanti owner for over 30 years. Just my opinion.

You are crossing over a major change in your comparison. The 1970 - 1988 Monte Carlos were all RWD as all Avantis were. When the Monte Carlo was reintroduced in 1995, it was as a FWD car.

I think that it is sort of apples and oranges to compare rear wheel drive including styling with a front wheel drive car. Also, you are comparing styling that is more than 30 years apart.

I owned a 1970 Monte Carlo, that I liked, a 1973 Monte Carlo, that was transportation, and a new 1987 Avanti. True, the Avanti drove like an '87 Monte Carlo, but was different in other ways, mostly appearance.

Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do not like the looks of those Monte Carlos.

Hallabutt
09-29-2017, 05:27 AM
Never been a big fan of the front wheel drive Monte Carlo, but I'm not a huge fan of front wheel drive cars anyway. Mary particularly dislikes the looks of the taillights, which she refers to a lava lamps.

Buzzard
09-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Jack in Montana,
They never installed 350's in Front Wheel Drive Monte Carlo's. Can you imagine the torque steer?? My '73 Monte (RWD) was equipped with a 350. But then I'm not a fan of FWD anything.
JMHO
Bill

Milaca
09-29-2017, 04:02 PM
5.3 liter V8s were installed in the 2006-2007 Monte Carlo SS.

303 hp & 323 ft/lb torque and they used a HD version of the same transmission used behind the base 3.5 liter V6.

sals54
09-29-2017, 11:03 PM
If you're considering trading an Avanti for a front wheel drive Chevy, it may be time for you to cash in. Sell all the "old cars" and go get a Prius. Just get it over with. You're done.

jnfweber
10-04-2017, 04:09 PM
If you're considering trading an Avanti for a front wheel drive Chevy, it may be time for you to cash in. Sell all the "old cars" and go get a Prius. Just get it over with. You're done.

2 months short of my 79th birthday, I just changed the oil and filter (spin on WIX 7445) on my Sky Hawk, the day before we got our 2nd 8 inch snowfall (5320 feet altitude). Then I took my dog up to 6000 feet up a 10 percent grade, cross country, up the hill. The next two days I had to run him down and leash him, since how can an 11 month old English Shepherd get enough exercise on a leash. I'm considering reducing my inventory of my 9 licensed and running Studebakers, the last rescue was my 1957 President Classic, where I completed detailing the wheel covers this summer. Yes, maybe I might sell some of my "old cars" Stay in tune.

Michelles Pops
10-04-2017, 04:56 PM
2 months short of my 79th birthday, I just changed the oil and filter (spin on WIX 7445) on my Sky Hawk, the day before we got our 2nd 8 inch snowfall (5320 feet altitude). Then I took my dog up to 6000 feet up a 10 percent grade, cross country, up the hill. The next two days I had to run him down and leash him, since how can an 11 month old English Shepherd get enough exercise on a leash. I'm considering reducing my inventory of my 9 licensed and running Studebakers, the last rescue was my 1957 President Classic, where I completed detailing the wheel covers this summer. Yes, maybe I might sell some of my "old cars" Stay in tune.

Sounds to me like your in better shape and a keener mind than people here!

jclary
10-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Somehow, this discussion has taken a rather "judgemental" tone. Not that you (Jack) didn't kinda set yourself up for it.;) Personally, I think you should be free to do whatever you want with your possessions. My thoughts are how fortunate you are to live in Montana. You have a wonderful collection of Studebakers. I see nothing in those pics I wouldn't be proud to park in my driveway!

About that wonderful dog!!! My father was a long haul truck driver waaaay back from the 1940's till the mid 1970's. One weekend in 1953, he arrived home from a trip up near the Canadian border. When he walked in the house, he unzipped his jacket and revealed a little bear cub looking fuzzball. It was the first time I recall ever hearing of an English Shepherd. That dog is now "special folklore" in our family history. With zero training, as it matured, it protected and watched after our livestock. What we children loved, the dog would not allow spankings outdoors. If we got a spanking indoors, the dog would circle the house barking, so he helped reduce the severity of the punishment.:!:

I have been without one for a few years now. Not many people know they have their own registry, to protect the integrity and instincts of the breed. They are attentive and sensitive to how they are treated. So, some special care should be taken in their handling. If my situation changes to allow me to provide proper attention, I will own another.

I am impressed with your cars...but love your dog!:D OH...and the name of our first (Legendary) English Shepherd...JACK!;)

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67544&d=1507146976

studegary
10-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Jack - Since we are so far off course, I will continue. My first Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic that had been used one year when I got it. I have owned three Avantis, a 1940 President and more than 100 others from 1953 to 1964 models. I have not yet owned a Sky Hawk. I have a question. Does the swoop on your doors go down to about one inch from the bottom of the doors, like the 1953-1955 C/K models, or is it the short swoop, as used on 1956 Golden Hawks, that stops about four inches from the bottom of the door?

sals54
10-05-2017, 01:25 AM

Hey Jack... I know I can get a little snarky, but your comment above is how you should have framed the original post. An off the cuff suggestion that a front drive chevy is a good trade for an Avanti is the sound of a desperate soul who is ready to throw in the towel. It doesn't sound like you're that guy, so I apologize if I hit too hard. And good luck with the cars.
BTW, how was that 18" of new snow that dumped on you northern guys? A little too early for that, I suspect, eh?

t walgamuth
10-05-2017, 06:41 AM
A fellow saying he was going to trade his acclaimed classic avanti for a used chevy fwd here on the Studebaker forum has got to expect some razzing. In fact he might be accused of trolling.;)

StudeMichael
10-05-2017, 08:09 AM
I have never heard this before. "the later pre-1989 Avanti's were based on the pre-1990 Monte Carlo's, which were more square-looking." As far as I know even the 1991 Avanti convertible (end of the line prior to the AVX - Kellog designed Avanti) was"based" on the original design that came out in the Fall of 1962. And as to the frame the later Avanti were never placed on a Monte Carlo frame.

8E45E
10-05-2017, 09:08 AM
That series of Monte Carlo is in my opinion the worst looking of the bunch. Especially the rear bumper. The first series from 70-72 are much nicer. plus they're rear wheel drive, and you can get a big block 454.

I agree. That FWD series and the 1973-'77's are the worst of the MC's. The first gen 1970-'72 are still the best looking to me.

Craig

jnfweber
10-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Hey Jack... I know I can get a little snarky, but your comment above is how you should have framed the original post. An off the cuff suggestion that a front drive chevy is a good trade for an Avanti is the sound of a desperate soul who is ready to throw in the towel. It doesn't sound like you're that guy, so I apologize if I hit too hard. And good luck with the cars. BTW, how was that 18" of new snow that dumped on you northern guys? A little too early for that, I suspect, eh?

That was was only 8" this last time, but probably a cumulative 18" so far. I tried to reach you by PM to comment about Photobucket, but I'll be darned if I'll pay them $399 per year to view stuff they have stored. I imagine with 4669 posts you have a lot of photos. I have 358 on Photobucket, but the're all backed up on my 3 separate hard drives. I did access this Photo on PB, and I would trade my Avanti straight up for this car.

jnfweber
10-05-2017, 11:57 AM
About that wonderful dog!!! My father was a long haul truck driver waaaay back from the 1940's till the mid 1970's. One weekend in 1953, he arrived home from a trip up near the Canadian border. When he walked in the house, he unzipped his jacket and revealed a little bear cub looking fuzzball. It was the first time I recall ever hearing of an English Shepherd. That dog is now "special folklore" in our family history. With zero training, as it matured, it protected and watched after our livestock. What we children loved, the dog would not allow spankings outdoors. If we got a spanking indoors, the dog would circle the house barking, so he helped reduce the severity of the punishment.:!:
I am impressed with your cars...but love your dog!:D OH...and the name of our first (Legendary) English Shepherd...JACK!;)

Thanks for the nice reply. This dog, "SPARKY" is everything you say, high spirited, intelligent, strong, unbelievable energy.

jclary
10-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the nice reply. This dog, "SPARKY" is everything you say, high spirited, intelligent, strong, unbelievable energy.

Thanks for responding. This picture reveals better that he is a "Tri-Color." I've had Tri-Color's, Black & White's, Black & Tan's, and even one Sable & White (Think traditional Collie). All wonderful dogs. Back in the 1970's, when I was active in the English Shepard club, I sold a pup to a practicing Lawyer who was quadriplegic. He later called me and informed me that, without formal training, he became an invaluable "service dog." Although purchased merely for a companion, the dog picked up on his owner's disability limitations, and began to open doors, and retrieve things his master had difficulty doing or could not do.

Not saying they are magic, or perfect, they still go through the puppy/teething stage, but treated well, they will be loyal beyond belief.

Thanks for allowing me this deviation from the original topic. We may now return to needling you 'bout your flirtation with the rather "common" car.;) About that Convertible...the trade you mentioned, should get your aging bones a smoother ride.:)

sals54
10-05-2017, 03:38 PM
That Vert is a nice looking ride, fer sher.
And my heart breaks for you and your weather. I've been a weather brat all my life. Living here in California most of it. A couple years in Hawaii, and a Springtime in North Carolina. I get a little anxious when the temperature dips below 50. I don't know how you do it.

studegary
10-05-2017, 09:32 PM
I have never heard this before. "the later pre-1989 Avanti's were based on the pre-1990 Monte Carlo's, which were more square-looking." As far as I know even the 1991 Avanti convertible (end of the line prior to the AVX - Kellog designed Avanti) was"based" on the original design that came out in the Fall of 1962. And as to the frame the later Avanti were never placed on a Monte Carlo frame.

1987 and 1988 Avantis were built on Monte Carlo chassis (frame). I bought a 1987 coupe new. True that the body design remained similar to the original Studebaker Avanti up through 1991.