rkapteyn
09-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Anyone has experience in sending a 59x17x17 " box weighing 40 lbs to France,
I have some parts to ship overseas.
I know their are people that send containers overseas
Any suggestions ?

wdills
09-28-2017, 02:02 PM
The company I work for has a lot of overseas customers. For boxes that size we have the best success with DHL.

rockne10
09-28-2017, 02:59 PM
DHL Express is a division of the German logistics company Deutsche Post, with their primary world headquarters in Bonn, Germany. Wayne's suggestion may be spot on.
I know when I sent a small package to Australia, the United States Post Office was MUCH cheaper than either of the two major U.S. package services.
I suspect your package is too large for USPS; otherwise you might want to compare that to DHL.

PackardV8
09-28-2017, 03:45 PM
There are freight forwarders who consolidate small articles and load them into a container each week. That's the most cost-effective. A "freight forwarder France" search will find several.

jack vines

Bo Markham
09-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Anyone has experience in sending a 59x17x17 " box weighing 40 lbs to France,
I have some parts to ship overseas.
I know their are people that send containers overseas
Any suggestions ?

Bob,

I ship parts all over the world, too. The last one, just a little larger dimensions then you posted, and 48 lbs, cost $80.00 (including insurance, tracking) to ship to Romania. Believe it, or not all the parts orders I've sent overseas has gone via United States Post Office, as they were by far the cheapest, with the best service provided. Yeah, I know, I was surprised, too learn this, too!

Hallabutt
09-29-2017, 04:38 AM
Bob,

I ship parts all over the world, too. The last one, just a little larger dimensions then you posted, and 48 lbs, cost $80.00 (including insurance, tracking) to ship to Romania. Believe it, or not all the parts orders I've sent overseas has gone via United States Post Office, as they were by far the cheapest, with the best service provided. Yeah, I know, I was surprised, too learn this, too!

No surprise to me, I worked for the USPS for forty three years. Little known fact that the USPS often finishes delivering parcels for other shippers, when that company has no capability to do so, or it considers it too expensive, and just punts.

DEEPNHOCK
09-29-2017, 07:53 AM
Lewis Schucart ( editor@aoai.org ) just shipped a pair of heads and some engine parts to Paris..
You might want to get in touch with him...

rockne10
09-30-2017, 09:30 AM
First place I would check is your local U.S. Post Office.

57pack
09-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Also you may reach out to Greg Diffen of SDC UK. He ships containers of parts to the U.K.. maybe he's putting a shipment together soon? If so he may be able to forward your package from the U.K. To France.

go-studebaker
10-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Hi Rob
i am in Germany at the moment.
It does not sound like a big parcel so it would just be easier to post it by US airmail. The couriers are generally stupid money and not worth it.
Whichever way you go, when you live internationally and need parts we just get bled dry money wise for the privilege.
Regards
Greg

rkapteyn
10-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Greg
Thanks for your suggestion.
If you are close to Leipzig visit with Joerg Weller who has the 1933 Rockne cabriolet.
Bob

go-studebaker
10-02-2017, 01:37 AM
I am in Nuremberg at the moment and heading to Frankfurt tonight after doing some tours of this town.
Then I head for Brussels and the UK.
A few days ago I drove my old 64 GT over to Amberg near the Czech border for the new owner.
It was a 750 mile trip taken over 3 days. Nothing was planned and my plan to come home was to keep my feet on the ground and find my way home on the train with nothing booked. So I am sort of on an adventure at the moment with phone and credit card. Just like the old days when I travelled able to switch destination as the wind took me.
Regards
Greg

rkapteyn
10-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Took it to the Postoffice today and I was told that it was too large. Max size is length plus girth not more that 108"
Anyone working for the postal service that can confirm this?
Robert Kapteyn

kurtruk
10-02-2017, 10:36 PM
I don't work at the PO, but that sounds correct. I have run into that before.

58PackardWagon
10-03-2017, 12:28 AM
Looking at your destination, dims and weight, you best option is air. Use deferred or economy service. Due to certain rules, you will only be able to use certain air freight companies to move your shipment. They are DHL, UPS, the post office and Fed-Ex. You will need three documents; packing list, an invoice showing what you sold it for and an export declaration or shipper's letter of instruction. These electronic forms can all be found on Google. Best wishes.

go-studebaker
10-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Bob
in the UK we can use a different service for the big items called Global Priority.
I just go into my local PO and they take everything. It's an expensive service but cheaper than a courier.

For or some reason the US post service throws their hands up in the air for these odd items. But they must have a different service you can use for the oversize stuff. I often laugh at how people say postage for big stuff costs 80 Us. Wait till they get A GBP 250.00 bill from the post office like we did the other day for two packages sent as one consignment state side. Both were oversize and overweight so they go the different service and my customers get bled for it. But we can post anything and pack like most people are never willing to do in our business.

The the us post office must have a different service available for the really big stuff.

But the postage will be substantial for the privilege.

Just leaving colongne station now.

Regards
Greg