PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Torque Converter: 5E7 Clutch Problem

studeski
09-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Who wants to guess this one. I bought this 5E7 Champ pickup. Nicely redone. Rebuilt engine(289 Hawk) and new 11" clutch. Running a T85 3 speed O/D. I drove it 30 miles and then a clunk when I pushed the clutch pedal down. Then the clutch would not release. There was some resistance 3 inches off the floor and adjusting did not produce any results. After much fighting I got the clutch out. I have a blueprint of the clutch cross shaft and fork assembly. I made up a template to check alignment and it looks good. Just by sight the pressure plate looks OK. All the other linkage is OK. Pictures attached. The rivets on the disk are hitting the flywheel. Easy fix.
1. Has anyone had this problem before? What's the answer?
2. Has anyone had the rivets in the disk hub hit the flywheel?
3. I had to jack the cab up to remove the bellhousing. That doesn't seem normal either.
Nearest I can see looking at the parts manual all the parts are correct.

67420 67421 67422

StudeRich
09-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Most 289's whould have a 10 1/2 Inch Clutch.

This one is likely a Big Block GM replacement.

Were "Some Trucks" Factory equipped with an oversize Clutch? Yes, but only by "Special Order" my 7E13 had a 12 Inch.

I can't tell anything from those Photos, are the rivets in the center of the Disc hitting the Flywheel? The Disc. may be installed BACKWARDS!

studeski
09-28-2017, 01:56 PM
That's what I thought, but..........the third column in the parts book is 5E

67423 67424

fh4ever
09-28-2017, 04:58 PM
I cant tell by the pic if the spline hub shown is the long side or short side...generally long side goes to tranny. Your third pic shows a wear patch right there on the inside edge of the flywheel surface, correct? and those 5 large rivets is doing the damage?

Ron Dame
09-29-2017, 07:08 AM
It looks like the disk was installed backwards from that picture. As far as the lack of pedal, are you sure the pins in the sleeve have not sheared? I've had that happen, and both ends stayed in place, so they looked OK. BUt when somone would push on the pedal, you could see the operating shaft wasn't turning.

studeski
09-29-2017, 02:23 PM
I cant tell by the pic if the spline hub shown is the long side or short side...generally long side goes to tranny. Your third pic shows a wear patch right there on the inside edge of the flywheel surface, correct? and those 5 large rivets is doing the damage?

Yes, that's what caused the damage to the flywheel.

studeski
09-29-2017, 02:25 PM
It looks like the disk was installed backwards from that picture. As far as the lack of pedal, are you sure the pins in the sleeve have not sheared? I've had that happen, and both ends stayed in place, so they looked OK. BUt when somone would push on the pedal, you could see the operating shaft wasn't turning.

Ron,
No the disk was not installed backwards. All the linkage was checked prior to removing the clutch.