PDA

View Full Version : 62 Hawk available in Los Angeles

Mark L
09-27-2017, 10:34 PM
It looks like it needs some work, but it also seems like a great deal.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/studebaker-gt-hawk-1962/6322704078.html

62champ
09-27-2017, 10:56 PM
Other than needing a new hood - it does look pretty decent. Wonder how few Hawks were sold in '62 with that metallic brown paint...seems half of them were black.

spokejr
09-28-2017, 12:07 AM
If I were going to be in town the next two weeks, I'd offer to check it out.

StudeRich
09-28-2017, 02:40 AM
There were deep Root Beer Metallic Brown 1962's, but this one is repainted a dark Rose Color, with a Rose Interior, looks like a solid Car for that Money and a huge plus is the Overdrive.

Bud
09-28-2017, 08:41 AM
From the looks of the license plate, the car has lived in California for most of its life. The car looks to be in good shape with the exception of the hood and for the price, it doesn't look like a bad deal. If I was looking for another Hawk, I would take a look at it. At that price, it won't be around long. Bud

studegary
09-28-2017, 04:21 PM
The first thing that I will say is that this an excellent ad for Craigslist (the write-up is very good).

If that is the original upholstery, it is amazing. I only remember those 1962 Hawks seat materials as lasting about one year. Some went bad in stock before they were ever installed in a car. There was a big change to the 1963-1964 Hawk seats where you could hardly wear them out.

If the shipping did not add another 50% to the price, I would jump on it.

harry
09-28-2017, 08:43 PM
I had a '62 GT and the pleats on the seat bottom ran front to back if I remember correctly. I kneeled on the back seat and the upholstery split along the seam.
That upholstery is probably aftermarket. Good price though.

Bud
09-29-2017, 02:17 PM
The pleats on the 62 Hawks that I've owned ran side to side which includes my current 62 which I had upholstered years ago from the original seats. When I had the seats redone, I had the pleats stitched instead of the original design which has held up for 38 years. I'm thinking seriously about contacting the owner and taking a run to Pasadena tomorrow to have a look at the car. I have a feeling from the looks of the pictures, the car may be worth what the owner is asking. Bud

StudeRich
09-29-2017, 06:32 PM
The Rose Interior was not available on a '62, it must be all replaced and looks it, as was the repaint Rose Color also not available.

I hope you get it Bud, that is a good deal, just needs a Hood and paint.

harry
09-29-2017, 07:14 PM
The Rose Interior was not available on a '62, it must be all replaced and looks it, as was the repaint Rose Color also not available.

I hope you get it Bud, that is a good deal, just needs a Hood and paint.

How about "Rose Mist" for the exterior colour?

StudeRich
09-29-2017, 08:16 PM
How about "Rose Mist" for the exterior colour?

"Rose Mist" is a much lighter color with more metallic and not available until 1963 as were the Vertical Pleated Seats.

Bud
09-29-2017, 09:14 PM
Rich, I sent the owner an email this morning, but I still haven't heard back from them. The car is still listed, so I'm thinking that the car may have been sold and the listing hasn't been removed or the owner isn't really interested in selling the car. Even if I don't buy the car, I can report on its condition so another member will at least know whether it's a good car or whether there are underlying problems that don't show from the pictures or the description and that's if the owner contacts me. Bud

Bud
09-30-2017, 12:20 PM
The Craigslist ad is no longer posted, so either the car has been taken off of the market or it has been sold, hopefully to someone that will restore it. Bud

JoeHall
09-30-2017, 01:40 PM
I did not see the attraction in the car, that so many others here did. For me, the first thing woulda been to replace the wimpy T86 with a T85/89. But that is a lot of work. Also, it needs major body work. I must be missing something. Whoever bought it, best of luck. Maybe they will show up here and keep us abreast of its reconditioning.

Bud
09-30-2017, 05:31 PM
The owner of the car called me a couple of hours ago and the car is still for sale but no longer listed. I'm taking a drive to Pasadena tomorrow in my 62 Hawk to have a look. According to the owner, there is some rust out in the trunk floor and in both doors and the hood has substantial damage due to the hood flying up. Also one front fender is damaged due to a tire failure on the freeway. The car was originally a standard 3 speed with the overdrive added later and there is no power steering or power brakes. The T86 transmission is okay as the engine has a 2 barrel carburetor on it. $3850.00 is pushing the price as the car will need a bunch of work to make it a decent driver. I'll post again after I look at the car tomorrow. Bud