Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time Studebaker dealer, looking for a Stude!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time Studebaker dealer, looking for a Stude!

I received a phone call from a long lost acquaintance last evening. Duaine Breyfogle, an old-time Studebaker dealer in Marshall, Minnesota. He is looking to purchase a decent running 1951 Studebaker Starlight Coupe. It doesn’t matter whether it is a Champion or a Commander & would consider a 1950 as well. This doesn’t need to be a show car; but needs to run and drive.
    If you can help him find one, both he and I would appreciate it.
    Duaine Breyfogle, 300 H. Street, Marshall, MN 56258 507+532-4659. You can also reach him at Breyfogle Auto Sales 507+532-5741.
    I first met him and his Dad in 1959 in Marshall where they were selling Studebakers from a cement block building next to the (then small) Schwann's Ice Cream shop. After that building burned & Studebaker stopped production, they opened a new shop selling Plymouths.

It would be great if you could interview Duaine about his experiences as a Studebaker dealer and submit it for an article in Turning Wheels.

Comment

Most of the Studebaker dealers around here went with Dodge. This is the first that I have heard of a move to Plymouth (another lost brand).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In So. Calif. the largest number of "converts" appeared to be to Toyota.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          In So. Calif. the largest number of "converts" appeared to be to Toyota.
          In Alberta, it seem to be Nissan.

Harry Forrester in Calgary morphed into Marlborough Datsun (later Nissan) as did Mechanics Sales & Service which became Lethbridge Datsun 135 miles south of here. And I believe a couple of other small town Stude dealers did the same.

Craig

Comment

1951 Studebaker Champion Starlight - $3250 (New Castle,In)

https://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-studebaker-champion/6265776773.html
            64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

1951 Studebaker Champion Starlite Coupe "Bullet Nose" - $4000 (Lake Tahoe, Nevada)

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-studebaker-champion/6310381072.html
              64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

1951 Studebaker Starlight coupe - $2800 (East Fishkill)

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-studebaker-starlight/6314670127.html

- - - Updated - - -

1951 Studebaker Starliner - $8000 (Voorhees, NJ)

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-studebaker-starliner/6267342857.html
                64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

Well...Here we go! With the available listings, and sale prices given, we have a situation those of us who made a living in sales called, "QUALIFYING" the buyer. During the initial negotiation stage, you throw out a realistic, but substantial price, and begin hashing out the details from there. If the potential buyer is serious, he might begin to leave off some of the "Bells & Whistles," but continue the conversation.

In the case of a vintage car, it's mostly about price vs condition. If the seller is realistic about his price, and how much a buyer is willing to accept in a vehicle needing improvement.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What is a "1951...Starliner"? The link didn't work for me.

If someone needs me to look at the one in East Fishkill, NY (if they are serious about it), I could look at it for them. I was done with it when I saw the pictures (it has been on and off Craigslist for awhile).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's interesting that it has to be a '51 instead of some Hawk or Lark or whatever. It's interesting how the bullet-nose became the pop nostalgia face of Studebaker, when it was only a two year gimmick, and even a little atyptical for a company that made a lot of blunt and boxy vehicles. I'm going to start on new thread on this.
                      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

1951 Studebaker Champion 2-Door Coupe

$28,950

64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

The $8,000 "Starliner" Champion Starlight Coupe is a deal. All of the others require work, including the "4" cylinder one.

Comment

If anyone tried to send him a note to the mailing address I gave earlier... SORRY... I got it on-line and it was wrong. A good mailing address would be:
                            Duaine Breyfogle
                            Breyfogle Auto Sales
                            1220 Floyd Wilde Drive
                            Marshall, MN 56258

Comment

Working...
                            X