PDA

View Full Version : October Turning Wheels

Avantidon
09-26-2017, 06:25 PM
By now some of you may have already received your October issue of Turning Wheels. It was mailed on Friday and and I have been derelict in letting you know. If you like what you see, like that we are virtually now back on schedule send a note to our Editor Ann Turner and express your THANKS for her hard work. You'd be amazed how much notes of that type pump her up. If you've got pictures (high resolution a must) send them to her as she will eventually use them. Got a great Studebaker story, well send that to her also as she is always looking for great personal first person SDC member stories.

Canadian and Foreign members, all I can say is be patient as your issue will arrive soon.

studegary
09-26-2017, 07:30 PM
I guess that your use of "virtually" qualifies your statement sufficiently. Mailed on the 22nd is just one week late to the contract date (as of when I was in charge of such things, and since then to my knowledge) of the 15th. I am glad that progress is being made. A long time ago, I suggested that perhaps the mailing could be picked up by one day per month. This would now put TW on schedule in just another seven months. And no, I haven't received Oct. TW.

2R5
09-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Heck I just got my September today !

Avantidon
09-27-2017, 05:03 AM
Gary, sorry but times and situations have changed since you were involved. Therefore the 15th does not apply anymore. In addition there are other factors that are involved. Quite frankly, if you believe that you can improve the performance of the Editor why not submit a bid for that role and try? The Board would love to consider it.

kmul221
09-27-2017, 05:24 AM
In Canada we usually get TW about a month late,I once got it the next month from publication.Never give what you say you will seems to be the motto !

rkapteyn
09-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Let us all thank Editor Ann Turner for the unbelievable beautiful Turning Wheels !

Stu Chapman
09-27-2017, 09:39 AM
All things considered, the Board and Ann have made significant strides in getting Turning Wheels on a realistic schedule. Many of you will remember my involvement in a one-year project a couple of years back with monthly delivery surveys on the Forum. Since then, improvements have been made within SDC, but service has declined with the postal service, particularly in Canada where we are running as much as a month later than U.S. delivery. That is totally out of our control but we'll probably have to start compensating for such service deficiencies in the future.

Rather than get into a debate over an exact date schedule, let's all just remember that ideally we need to get Turning Wheels into the hands of members by the last day of the month preceding issue date, i.e. September 30th for October issue. If this is achieved then "What's Happening" can be read by all before the events have occurred.

The other reason timeliness is important is that our paying advertisers deserve to have their messages read in a timely manner, i.e. there is no point in notice of Christmas specials being conveyed to members when late delivery means they cannot possibly order and receive delivery in time for Christmas giving. As an old advertising man, I would quickly cancel my advertising if the publisher is unable to meet deadlines.

Since the huge majority of our members reside in the U.S. then as long as we can achieve the goal of delivery by month's end for them, then I think we have done our best. SDC cannot possibly ride herd on postal practices in the rest of the world.

Stu Chapman

drrotor
09-27-2017, 10:49 AM
I am very impressed with Turning Wheels Magazine. A very high quality club publication. And I am very thankful for the hard work it takes to make it so nice and timely. Keep it up!

studegary
09-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Gary, sorry but times and situations have changed since you were involved. Therefore the 15th does not apply anymore. In addition there are other factors that are involved. Quite frankly, if you believe that you can improve the performance of the Editor why not submit a bid for that role and try? The Board would love to consider it.

I understand that it is a difficult job. I wasn't looking for it to be caught up all at once. Once it is caught up, by gaining a day each month, it is still one month between issues. No matter the date of mailing, it does not change the workload or frequency of mailing. The Editor and printer would still have one issue to get out every month.

Since "...the 15th does not apply anymore", what date is now in the Request for Quotes and Contracts?

Avantidon
09-27-2017, 03:13 PM
We will be accepting quotes for the editor's role thru the 15th of November 217 as Ann's contract is up at the end of this year. By the way she will be submitting a proposal to continue as our Editor.. The Printers contract was approved at the May Board meeting in South Bend for three years at no increase of cost to the SDC, Competing contract was more than $500.00 per month higher.

SusieQ
09-27-2017, 10:11 PM
I posted on the forum about What's Happening. Events which appear in TW under What's Happening are also on the SDC site as I have them right up to Dec. 31 of 2018. There are instructions on where on the SDC site to find these events. Susan Lusted See Below
Just a note to remind all of you that Studebaker and related events are listed in Turning Wheels under What's Happening and also on the SDC website. At this time, there are events listed until December 31, 2018 on both the SDC site and in What's Happening. I have tried to the best of my ability to list every event in both places. For those which I receive too late to post in Turning Wheels, I do post them on the SDC site. In Turning Wheels, when you see the Facebook logo at the end of an event listing that means there is a Facebook presence for that chapter. Also, there is an update in the listing for the upcoming International Meet in 2018. I have emailed all of my event contacts a copy of the hotel accomodations also.
Check here and there are four ways that events are listed,
SDC International Meets: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdcmeet.asp (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdcmeet.asp)
Local Chapter Events: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/events.asp (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/events.asp) These are listed by state or province.
Zone Meets: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/eventszone.asp (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/eventszone.asp)
International Zone Meets: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/eventsintlzone.asp (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/eventsintlzone.asp)
If you need more information, please email me and l will assist you. studenews@outlook.com

Remember to check out the SDC Facebook presence at the link.
https://www.facebook.com/StudebakerDriversClubInc/ (https://www.facebook.com/StudebakerDriversClubInc/)

1954khardtop
10-05-2017, 07:23 AM
Got my October TW on the 3rd. Nice reading about the '54 models. I was pleasantly surprised to see the pictures I sent Ann a few months ago are in there.

6hk71400
10-05-2017, 12:25 PM
As I have a double interest in the thread (Studebaker owner and retired Postal employee) is the process for mailing different for 1st Class Turning wheels? Also, I would be curious if some of the forum members received their copy first class as to the date of arrival. If I understand the first post on the 26th, Turning Wheels was taken to a distribution center on the 22nd. Does anyone know how many people get their Turning Wheels First Class Mail?

Bob Miles
Tucson Az

old fart
10-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Got to agree with 2R5 just got Sept issue delivery times are not improving but getting worse . Let's hope for better times ahead .

Old Fart

junior
10-06-2017, 06:44 AM
Got to agree with 2R5 just got Sept issue delivery times are not improving but getting worse . Let's hope for better times ahead .

Old Fart

Well in a way that's kinda good to hear because I'm still waiting for my Sept. issue...I'm hesitant to contact cornerstone because on two or three other occasions I've contacted them to send a replacement issue out only to have the missing issue show up the next day and then the replacement issue show up about a week later. I have no idea what Canada Posts problem is, but there must be something wrong somewhere with them. Cheers, Junior

Avantidon
10-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Bob, I receive TW 1st Class to a PO Box. it was there on Monday 9/25. The process for mailing the 1st class editions is the same except that they are separately bundled. The Canadian mailings are transported across the border north of Detroit and placed in the Canadian Postal System and from there are in the hands of the Canadian postal system.

Stu Chapman
10-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Bob, I receive TW 1st Class to a PO Box. it was there on Monday 9/25. The process for mailing the 1st class editions is the same except that they are separately bundled. The Canadian mailings are transported across the border north of Detroit and placed in the Canadian Postal System and from there are in the hands of the Canadian postal system.

Don is quite correct. Unfortunately Canadian delivery is getting worse. The answer? Someone who knows the system and has influence and is willing to take some action may help. Since Canada Post comes under some degree of control by the federal government, perhaps if every member would contact their member of parliament the matter might be addressed.

For what it's worth, a few years back, our local postal authorities decided to change our parcel pickup location from one that was accessible by walking to one that was about 2 miles away requiring driving. They refused to budge. So I wrote to the president of Canada Post with copies to 3 vice presidents.The local decision was reversed following direction from CP's head office in Ottawa.

The only other alternative I can think of is for SDC to ask our printer and his distribution personnel to request some answers by Canada Post.

cruiser
10-08-2017, 08:39 AM
No , I don't have an October '17 Turning Wheels . But I did receive

the September '17 T/W's Meet issue on Friday 6th October 2017 . Of

course , I am in Sydney , Australia , so everything takes time . My

belief is that Ann Turner does a wonderful job as do the contributors .

Whilst Stu Chapman has trouble explaining Canada Post's inefficiencies ,

I still find it rather odd that my magazine is sent via " postnl " which

has a 'return' address in the Netherlands , as if someone thought that

Australia is actually Austria . Maybe my mag might be quicker to get

here if it wasn't being routed via Europe ! Perhaps there is a logical

explanation , but in any event I am always happy when it arrives..!

CRUISER

Chrycoman
10-08-2017, 09:35 AM
I received the September issue on Thursday, 05 October.

By the way, Turning Wheels is delivered via Publications Mail Agreement No 40064709.

Avantidon
10-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Bill

Please explain what you mean by: "By the way, Turning Wheels is delivered via Publications Mail Agreement No 40064709."

Thanks

Stu Chapman
10-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Bill

Please explain what you mean by: "By the way, Turning Wheels is delivered via Publications Mail Agreement No 40064709."

Thanks

Don, perhaps I can help. This is the recording of the reciprocal agreement between USPS and Canada Post and usually is found on all mailings coming into Canada. If you're talking to the printer and/or U.S. distribution house, they will already be aware how mailings come across the border.

Either TW is experiencing lengthy in-transit delays at the border point or Canada Post is to blame for the unnecessary delays. It might be worthwhile to check with Hemmings about their arrangements since Hemmings Classic Cars doesn't seem to have the problem. I don't believe that the Avanti Magazine is experiencing the same delays as TW either.

This is just a wild thought but I wonder if the TW landscape format has anything to do with it. Virtually all other magazines are published in portrait format.

Stu Chapman

Avantidon
10-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Stu,

Several years ago when Sheridan first started publishing TW, I was directly involved in the Avanti Magazine distribution and we chose to set up the Canadian delivery on the same basis and it worked fine. Sheridan trucks the magazines from Hanover, PA directly to Detroit and across the border delivering them directly to the Canadian Postal System. It is generally done within 24 hours of release from Hanover. You may be on to something as to format. I will have Sheridan check with Hemmings and the AACA as both magazine are printed in a portrait format. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stu Chapman
10-12-2017, 05:03 PM
My October Turning Wheels just arrived today, 9 days after 1954khardtop in Pattersonville NY. Not bad!

Stu Chapman

tsenecal
10-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Nothing here in NE Nevada yet. Our postal service here is pretty slow at times. In four years, I have only had to request a replacement once, so I consider that to be dependable service. I always enjoy the content, and look forward to it getting here.

2moredoors
10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
My October Turning Wheels just arrived today, 9 days after 1954khardtop in Pattersonville NY. Not bad!

Stu Chapman
Mine arrived today.
BTW I have gone through the procedure with Sheridan Press as to how the Canadian publications are handled as as to how the other "foreign" subscribers are handled for a time I spoke with Sheridan Press on a monthly basis, their rep would even phone me on the weekends to let me know when TW was shipped out. We changed foreign distribution channels 2 or 3 times in one year but in the end the problem always ended up with the postal system for final delivery.