PDA

View Full Version : Body: I need info on glass

jeryst
09-24-2017, 11:26 AM
I just got a 1956 Power Hawk and it needs both front vent and door window glass. Should I be looking for coupe, sedan, or Hawk glass because I have seen them all listed and I dont want to get the wrong thing? Also, would it be simpler and cheaper to take it to someone to replace just the glass, or should I buy used window/glass/regulator assemblies and replace the whole unit? The windows are binding when trying to roll them up and down, so I am a little concerned about the mechanisms themselves.

brngarage
09-24-2017, 01:17 PM
You need glass for C body (coupe) whether early ('53-'55) or Hawk ('56-'61).

Treblig
09-24-2017, 01:33 PM
I just got a 1956 Power Hawk and it needs both front vent and door window glass. Should I be looking for coupe, sedan, or Hawk glass because I have seen them all listed and I dont want to get the wrong thing? Also, would it be simpler and cheaper to take it to someone to replace just the glass, or should I buy used window/glass/regulator assemblies and replace the whole unit? The windows are binding when trying to roll them up and down, so I am a little concerned about the mechanisms themselves.

If it's the same window mechanism as the 59 Hawk that my daughter drives you can fix (if you're handy with tools) the "hard to roll up" part of the problem, if the mechanism isn't totally messed up. The hawk driver's (and passenger's) window doesn't have rollers. It has a pin in a slot that moves as you roll the window up and down. Because there is no roller the slots tends to get deformed from all the stress, not being lubed doesn't help things. I took my daughter's window out and straightened the slots, lubed the pins and also replaced one clip that was missing. There is one clip on each pin and they seem to fall off over time. If you have 1 or 2 of the clips missing (look in the bottom of the door) that will also be part of the problem. Without the clips the windows won''t stay aligned in the slots thus making it hard to roll up and down.
The vent comes with other issues. It has a pin and spring mounted under the glass frame that keeps the vent window in place when it's open. The pin/spring can break then the vent won't stay open going down the road. You can get the glass replaced at the local glass shop but if you have tinted glass it might not match. I had to get one of my daughter's windows tinted so that it would match the other windows.

Treblig

Jeffry Cassel
09-24-2017, 03:29 PM
You may need to replace the U channel. They are usually totally worn out. It is amazing what lubrication can do. I use Liquid Wrench spray lube and Lubriplate. Some say you should avoid WD-40 since it gets sticky over time. Just take it to a glass shop; it should not cost much and they can press them into place for you. I even had one shop refuse payment because in 20 years he had never before had a Studebaker in his shop!

rockne10
09-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Sounds like your regulators need lubed, and probably adjusted; a reasonable requirement after six decades. :)
And no time like the present to replace the window channels and cat whiskers.
As far as the glass itself, it is all flat, and can be cut and installed by ANY reputable auto glass shop.

kurtruk
09-25-2017, 12:23 AM
If it's a real old time shop, they may still have original patterns. The vent is 2976S and the door is 4442S.

Flat Ernie
09-25-2017, 04:00 PM
And no time like the present to replace the window channels and cat whiskers.

Who's the best source for the channels and whiskers? I may have to do this on my 53C soon...

rockne10
09-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Who's the best source for the channels and whiskers? I may have to do this on my 53C soon...SI offers them both, cut to fit your model; along with any necessary clips for installation. I have always procured bulk lengths and recreated what was needed.
Bulk is available from a variety of sources if you're interested in doing the necessary fabrication.

jeryst
09-26-2017, 01:29 AM
You need glass for C body (coupe) whether early ('53-'55) or Hawk ('56-'61).

I was wondering if anyone can be more specific as to years and models that will fit.
I'd like to find original window assemblies, and the ads I've seen so far are "This is
out of a ....". I will be going to Reedsville in October so maybe I can find something
there if I still need them. Either way, I want to be sure when I buy something.

kurtruk
09-26-2017, 01:36 AM
53 to 61 C-body.

jeryst
09-26-2017, 11:48 AM
If it's a real old time shop, they may still have original patterns. The vent is 2976S and the door is 4442S.

If I gave these pattern numbers to any glass shop would they be able to cut them?
Or would they actually need to have the patterns in hand? Sorry, I dont know if they
do this all by hand, or if they have a machine that does it.

kurtruk
09-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Very few shops still have the patterns. If they do, it's done by hand. You gotta find a shop that's been around a long time. If they don't, they'll take your old glass and use it for a pattern.
Stuff ordered on-line might be done by computerized machine.

t walgamuth
09-27-2017, 06:56 AM
I'd take it to a good glass shop. They'll take your old glass and use it as a pattern and make all new glass and install it. I'm guessing it all would total 100 to 150 each piece.

mbstude
09-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Or call Russ at Studebakerglass.com