PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 1963 GT Hawk front fenders

avanti-hawk
09-24-2017, 10:08 AM
I have just bought a 63 GT Hawk, and much to my dismay it has figerglas front fenders:mad:. I would like to know the right place or if any members have a pair for sale?
Thanks

JoeHall
09-24-2017, 10:20 AM
Nothing wrong with fiberglass fenders. Some of the nicest looking Studes out there have them. To spot some of them, you'd need a magnet, or a knowing sense of touch/feel. However, there were also some rather primitive ones made, back in the day, but not many of those are still around. If you are only concerned with being judged, then you are probably gonna need a lot more than just front fenders.

Dan White
09-24-2017, 10:26 AM
There are some NOS fenders around but 1) they are becoming few and far between, 2) as #1 supply and demand has pushed the prices way way up. C/K fenders are becoming a Studebaker Holy Grail, unless someone decides to step up and repro them. The tooling cost will be a real problem.

55s
09-24-2017, 10:34 AM
I agree with Joe. There's nothing wrong with fiberglass fenders. The metal ones are much harder to find now, expensive if you do, and often have rust along the back and vent anyway. Unless you want a perfect show car, no one will notice.

tsenecal
09-24-2017, 10:40 AM
I found a pair at the South Bend meet this spring, but the guy was asking $2500 for the pair of NOS. That, with shipping added, convinced me to spend the time to repair mine with the Classic Enterprise repair panels.

avanti-hawk
09-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Nothing wrong with fiberglass fenders. Some of the nicest looking Studes out there have them. To spot some of them, you'd need a magnet, or a knowing sense of touch/feel. However, there were also some rather primitive ones made, back in the day, but not many of those are still around. If you are only concerned with being judged, then you are probably gonna need a lot more than just front fenders.
No I'm not interested in judging at all. The fit and quality is pretty good. I'm glad to hear that it's a popular remedy in the Stude community! I really have no problem with Fiberglas car parts, as I have owned Corvettes' and an Avanti. Just wanting to know how hard it is to find original metal ones, and ballpark prices?
Being in Canada where road salt is overused in winter I'm very accustomed to rusty cars. I well remember looking at a number of Hawk's in the early 70's that had no front fender vents and plenty of patchwork then. My car was not a Canadian car and that is probably the only reason it hasn't dissolved 40 years ago.

avanti-hawk
09-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Also as a addditional note, the "professional" appraisal of the car done in 2012 failed to catch the Fiberglas fenders.
Quoted directly from said appraisal " All original panels and fenders":woot:

royvaldez
09-26-2017, 09:13 AM
I have one used fender. Im located near Sacramento, Ca

avanti-hawk
09-27-2017, 06:46 AM
I agree with Joe. There's nothing wrong with fiberglass fenders. The metal ones are much harder to find now, expensive if you do, and often have rust along the back and vent anyway. Unless you want a perfect show car, no one will notice.
Thank you, very glad to hear that!
I just plan on it being a summer weekend driver.

avanti-hawk
10-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Just came back from Carlisle. Not a Hawk fender in sight. Very little to no Stude parts